Lapu Lapu Cherusker Messer

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
This has to be one of the strangest looking knives I've ever had mailed to me.
Sure looks like a Spyderco without the round hole and uses the same lock as the Para Military compression lock but no listing of the name saying Spyderco anything on it anywhere. No mention of blade steel or anything else other than the names above. Whats the story on this knife folks? Sal??

Is it like new or old collectible and worth a lot? Whatever it is it sure looks like a Spydie to me but the clip positions lower than any knife I think I've ever handled before. Must be for the drop style opening Spyderco refers to the Spyderdrop.

The request is to take off the horn and Wave it. And then to flip the clip to tip up carry, and sharpen it.. If this is a rare collector piece though I always get a bit of a craw in my throat at some of the requests like this though.

STR

This has to be one of the strangest looking knives I've ever had mailed to me.
Sure looks like a Spyderco without the round hole and uses the same lock as the Para Military compression lock but no listing of the name saying Spyderco anything on it anywhere. No mention of blade steel or anything else other than the names above. Whats the story on this knife folks? Sal??

Is it like new or old collectible and worth a lot? Whatever it is it sure looks like a Spydie to me but the clip positions lower than any knife I think I've ever handled before. Must be for the drop style opening Spyderco refers to the Spyderdrop.

The request is to take off the horn and Wave it. And then to flip the clip to tip up carry, and sharpen it.. If this is a rare collector piece though I always get a bit of a craw in my throat at some of the requests like this though.

STR

Hi Steve,
Good to hear you got the knives. Here is the story of Lapu-Lapu: Few years back a martial arts expert Bram Frank designed a knife called "Gunting" for Spyderco. It had received mixed reviews and spyderco discontinued it after couple of years. Spyderco Guntings are reasonably valuable these days. After Gunting was discontinued, Bram Frank designed Lapu Lapu which is very close to Gunting but not the same. Lapu Lapu is made in china by some german based company, i think. It is far from unique isn't very valuable and goes for $50-$60. I think it is well made and has decent materials but has a rather , shall we say, excentric shape. The shape is meant for something called "Dynamic Opening" - meaning the knife serves as an impact tool, and if need be one uses the horn to open it by dragging it against your opponent's body.

I don't recall exactly what you wanted me to do to this one. I have it Waving but can't say its pretty. Did you want me to cut into the opening hole? I can't recall.

I did get the clip flipped but let me know or show me again on the Wave and I can still get this one out tomorrow.

Thanks

STR

I don't recall exactly what you wanted me to do to this one. I have it Waving but can't say its pretty. Did you want me to cut into the opening hole? I can't recall.

I did get the clip flipped but let me know or show me again on the Wave and I can still get this one out tomorrow.

Thanks

STR

Steve,
please cut into the hole and this way we can keep the wave and get rid of the stupid looking horn. Also please sharpen the top of the blade where the false edge is. One more thing, could you please drill and tap holes for the clip for both right and left hand for tip up carry. Thank you again.

Ok its razor sharp on the old false edge part. It bites. Be careful with it.:D

Both sides are tapped for tip up carry also.

STR

Here are a couple. By the way, I'm not interested in doing anymore of these. I have gotten away from doing all but my low rider clips and mini ti pry these days. These two items fill my dance cart pretty well so its really all I have energy for but this one was one of the past jobs I did. I never felt like this turned out all that great but I tried to follow what was requested.

STR

Attachments

• Lapu Lapu modified.jpg
    Lapu Lapu modified.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 24
  • LapuLapu for mod work.jpg
    LapuLapu for mod work.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Lapu Lapu modified 2.jpg
    Lapu Lapu modified 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 21
Back