• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Large 1095 Cutter with Hamon

Bailey Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is the result of trying to do a "bigger" knife. It is not huge, but it is about the longest that I can heat treat with my setup.

The blade is forged 1095, clay coated for a nice hamon which is most visible in the last picture. There is some filework in the handle area.

The handle is Arizona Ironwood.

The sheath is hand stitched leather (my aching fingers!)

Dimensions
Blade - 9" tip to handle
OAL - 14 1/4"

Price - $350
The first "I'll take it!" gets it

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,410
Last edited:
Looks very nice, as always. How thick is the blade? 1/4 in?

Thanks everyone. Yes, the steel is 1/4" at the thickest. I forged it out of 1/4" bar. It really feels great in my hand, and the sheath is one of my best so far.

Matt, is one of your knives actually about to have a 48 hour birthday :confused:

Great work, as always. Can you post a pic of it in your hand, for perspective?

Thanks Samurai Stu, It was oil quenched. I use Parks 50.

Bob, I will try to get an "in the hand" pic and maybe post it tomorrow. I wont be able to do it tonight, I have a lot of sheaths to stitch.

Bob, here are those in the hand shots you wanted.

How about a price drop to $350 to get things going?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 792
Ted, it is yours! I will have to round up a big box for shipping.

Thanks!

Whoohoo!!! The knife arrived today and it is Fantastic!!! The handle is the best I've ever seen on one of Matt's knives and the hamon is stunning. The knife balances very well in my hand and it combines all my favorite attributes in a knife - Sharp out of the box, great hamon, contoured handle, file work on the spine. Absolutely perfect. Oh, it also has a mosaic pin and a hint of the forge finish left on the blade.

I'll try to come up with some worthy photos in the next week or so.

Thanks again Matt, you rock.

Last edited:
Matthew, we're too close to one another not to plan a get-together one of these days...

I cannot believe how cool this knife is. Thank you so much for this knife Matt. You ROCK!!!

Bailey_Logo.jpg

Don't let Ted fool you, his photography is much better than my knifemaking skills :D. I gasped when I saw that. Very nice shot Ted.

Back