large blade on 84 mm SAK

Do you think that the large blade on the 84 mm sak:s (such as the recruit model) is strong enough for EDC? I believe it is smaller than on the 91 mm SAK:s (should be since it is a smaller knife). I would like to buy a smaller sak than my 91 mm Spartan to have a more compact package.
Opinions?

The blade on 84mm SAKs is plenty strong, IMHO. It's about a quarter inch shorter than the blade on a 91mm SAK, but I've never felt under knifed with my Recruit. It's the SAK that I carry the most.

I like the recruit and the cadet in the compact knife department, I haven't noticed much difference in performance between the 84 and 91mm versions for small cutting tasks. I like the longer handle on the tinker if I'm doing a lot of cutting with the large blade. I like the recruit, with no tools on the back, if I'm doing most work with the pen blade.

I think the large blade on a 84 mm SAK is strong enough for EDC and most cutting tasks (IMHO). You may also want to consider the 84 mm Tinker.

victorinox-victink.jpg

I thought about getting a Small Tinker myself but ended up getting a regular Tinker because I wanted blue translucent scales. I recently bought a Wenger Highlander for my neighbor to thank him for letting me hunt on his property. I had never checked out a Wenger before so I took it out of the package and looked it over before I gave it to him. Build quality and fit and finish seemed very good. It's the same size as a Small Tinker and has about the same tool selection except that it has a nail file/cleaner instead of the small blade. It lacks the small screwdriver on the can opener like Vics have but its locking large screwdriver is great. I would consider it if I were looking for a 84mm SAK.

My neighbor came over a couple days ago to help me install a new bathroom sink. He was using the Wenger right and left. I asked him if he had ever owned a SAK before and he said that he had not. He didn't know what he was missing.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Highlander doesn't have a toothpick or tweezers so it's a shade thinner than a Tinker.

My EDC is an 84mm SAK. (Wenger Traveller) It depends on what you're planning to do with it, but I've found it strong enough for everything I've needed a knife for. I prefer the 84mm SAK for two reasons, firstly because it fits more comfortably into my pocket, and secondly because the knife laws in the UK are pretty strict and I can't imagine anyone classing it as a weapon.

Chris

Back