Large Calypso LW

I'm certainly not the first knife nut to think of this, but...
Are we ever gonna see a lightweight version of the large Calypso?
I mean, the original one is very nice, but I'm afraid I'd like something grippier than micarta for the handle...
Besides, a reversible, ambidextrous clip would make all the difference for me (can you tell I'm a southpaw?
wink.gif
).

Regards,

Leo Daher

Sal,build it and they will come! I love my Calypso Jr.LW and it`s just begging for a big brother.
biggrin.gif
Marcus

Leo - the interest from the general market is not all that great on the large Calypso. The model will more than likely be discontinued When the current run is complete. My apologies. Sometimes we create designs that are just not popular enough to maintain.

We don't know exactly why this model is getting poor response, but info from forumites has been helpful. Essentially it is the "wrong size" and handle material for the general market. I had contemplated making a small run of titanium handled "users" for the smaller aficianado market. But that would be off in the future.

sal

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 02-06-2000).]

Oh, well...
frown.gif

Once again, Sal, thanks for the answer... It's really appreciated, believe me.

A titanium handled large Calypso sounds very interesting... Could it possibly have a reversible clip?
Anyway, let us know if you decide to make them.

Regards,

Leo Daher

That makes good business sense Sal,still it`s a shame. I can`t speak for everyone but I think the Lg.Calypsos problem is (at least for me)that a 4" blade is generally used for harder chores than smaller blades and the linerless micarta handles don`t inspire confidence strength wise. The polished finish while attractive isn`t too hot for a using knife either. A beefy zytel type handle with the LW Jr.s scale pattern *might* just make all the difference for the Lg.Calypso. It could also presumably bring it in at a lower price point. Still if I we can`t have that a Ti version sounds pretty cool too,but the higher price might hold it back some. Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 02-06-2000).]

I tend to agree with Marcus on that one. The problem with the large Calypso may well be the handle itself. Change it to Zytel -making it lighter, less slippery in the hand and more versatile due to the ambi clip, not to mention less expensive - and suddenly that particular folder might become a lot more desirable. Something to consider...

Regards,

Leo Daher

I agree with the last two posts. A zytel handled large Calypso would clearly be a user. I admit that I tend to baby my large Calypsos because I do not want to scratch their pretty micarta scales. Zytel would clearly signal hard use and it would be much cheaper too.

I agree with the previous posts on why the large Calypso didn't generate a lot of interest. It's probably also just that there are so many 4" folders on the market that something has really got to stand out to be noticed.

I'm not sure that a light-weight Calypso would necessarily sell better, as it might compete with the Endura. But who knows? The Calypso Jr. light-weight doesn't seem to compete with the Delica, so maybe the two models are different enough to coexist.

At any rate, a Ti handled large Calypso certainly sounds like a must have. Some forum members are so crazy about the Calypso series though, that I'm sure more than a few would buy a styrofoam handled version.

I am an avid Calypso fan and consider it my favorite Spyderco design aesthetically and ergonomically. The flat grind is wonderful and the micarta handle is what "makes" the knife for me. When I first picked up the large Calypso the first thing I liked was the nice balance. I would certainly buy the LW version if made but I am sure the balance point would change for my liking. It would, however, as mentioned be a great user. I had semi-retired my micarta models when the LW Jr. came out. I still do fondle them often though!The micarta version is so much more appealing albeit more slippery.Market appeal however, leans toward pricing/user qualities.
Most knife nuts here on the forum can appreciate the soon to be discontinued micarta models.

If spyderco had designed only one functional knife and that had been large Calypso Spydercos products would still be in average better than most.

Calypsos family is by far the best in industry when both beauty and functionality is considered.

Normally customer is right but if ELU do not buy Calypsos they are wrong.

I would buy ti and zytel calypso I they were made although zytel wouldn't be my first choise as new handle material to large calypso.

I love my Calypso! A gentlemans folder for the gent who prefers big Spyders...

Personal observation: blade needs more belly. Remember the old Renegades??

[This message has been edited by Nakano 2 (edited 02-08-2000).]

I'd hop on a titanium-handled large calypso, just to have it!

Although I'm a huge -- nay, monsterous -- fan of the Calypso Jr., I do not own a Calypso. There were two reasons why. First, the handle on the large Calypso seemed particularly large -- why did the blade-to-handle ratio suddenly get so bad in the transition from Jr. to Sr.? The second is that my 4" folder is generally my harder-use folder, and it seemed like I was destined to break the tip off that large Calypso. Not a problem with the Jr., since I use the smaller folder as a gentleman's scalpel, strictly a high-performance cutter rather than any other type of hard use.

Joe

Can't say I'd likely drool over a LW Calypso Sr. I have a Jr LW and it seems entirely logical and purposeful, nice steel, nice scales.
The reason I bought the micarta Sr was because I loved the micarta Jr. and the two were a beautiful "pair" I don't carry just one of them anymore. I opted for the serrated version of the large Calypso so I could handle 'tougher' chores easier.
Since buying the LW Calypso Jr, I consider my Starmate/Military as the its partner depending on expected duties.
Butt its really nice, in mixed company(knifenuts/sheeple), to pull both of these black beauties out when asked about those gold bugs on the clips.
smile.gif

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Well, my love for Calypso is well documented. (See http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000401.html) I am pleased to tell you that
I'm now a proud owner of Calypso. (Bought it just last week, thanks to the WOW clearance sale!) And here's my observation from actually handling and using one.

When I first saw it in the box, my impression was, "This knife looks a lot smaller than what its spec sheet says." Not until I placed it side by side with my other Spyders (especially Micarta
Goddard and Starmate), I realized how large a knife it was. It looks small, slim, and elegant. Its flat grind and tapered (swedged?) spine also give its blade a delicate appearance. I concur with Joe T. that it does not "look" like a heavy duty knife.

On the other hand, Calypso has every attribute that makes it an everyday carry knife: Beauty, elegance, ergonomics, and carry-ability (its clip allows for deep-pocket carry, and Micarta is easy on pants). In fact, I've been carrying it almost exclusively since I bought it!

In sum, I believe that this knife is a very idiosyncratic knife: either you REALLY love it, or you don't care for it at all. Even in its LW incarnation, I doubt that it will ever become a popular one a la Endura. Having said this, I would love to have one in a titanium handle and 440V! It could
become the sharpest Spyder ever.

sjc

P.S. Sal, thanks for saving one for me (See the above link). You may go ahead and recycle it.
P.P.S. The one I bought came in the serrated edge. Although I really wanted the plain one, I had to take the serrated one for the price. Alas, a poor educator must be careful with his wallet.

I have been aching to buy the Calypso and finally did just four days ago! I am very impressed though I have not been able to use it much yet. I do not have a Calypso Jr. (YET) but am confident that I will sometime soon. When I bought my Calypso Sr, I had the chance to handle the lightweight Jr. and I was very impressed. I can promise you that I would love to buy a Zytel Calypso Sr. with VG-10 if it were to ever exist. In my opinion, the VG-10 would make it a superior knife to any other Zytel folders that I have seen.

I would also be interested in seeing the Titanium Calypso Sr.

Sal, what is your opinion on making a Calypso Sr with a G-10 handle with VG steel? Would it compete too much with the Police model with ATS-55? PLEASE DON'T RETIRE THE CALYPSO SR MODELS COMPLETELY!!

Kudos on the Calypso Sr. as it is though, Sal. I am very impressed and happy to finally have one! Keep up the great work!

[This message has been edited by Frag (edited 02-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Frag (edited 02-11-2000).]

Back