Large chopper vs. Axe/hatchet

Very nice photos OBX. I definitely think this is one of those fun good "discussion" topics, and by that i mean there is no right answer, kind of like knife sharpening, but by discussing how everyone uses their tools and in what situations we all might learn something new. I love my forest axe for what it is, but would not want to carry a separate axe for de-limbing a tree, but one wrong swing with an axe striking the handle instead and now you have a one way axe boom-a-rang... In those scenarios a larger knife really appeals, I just having had one up until recently. I look forward to seeing how a 5.1 can manage in that role (clearly not a "true chopper"). Besides everything is just a hold over until the GSO-20 arrives, the true do-all power house of the wilderness world!!!

I have a large hatchet small axe that I use for processing large stuff into small stuff, but it sucks for de-limbing a fallen tree. That is where a larger knife (GSO-20??????) would come in handy, but I am not sure that a knife trying to chop a tree down will ever be as efficient.. I like the idea of some sort of hawk or small hatchet (for hiking)...

I tend to agree. Location, terrain and time of year play a big part in what works best for me. In the winter while in the woods, a saw and hatchet work well for getting firewood from trees that are already seasoned. If the fire is already going, it's simple to burn the end of a long log but it is usually tough to move it.

In the summer or the tropics in dense vegetation, a large knife will limb a tree, handle woody vines or clear a path. I find it safer for me to swing a large knife at an overhead target, too.

I tend to agree. Location, terrain and time of year play a big part in what works best for me. In the winter while in the woods, a saw and hatchet work well for getting firewood from trees that are already seasoned. If the fire is already going, it's simple to burn the end of a long log but it is usually tough to move it.

In the summer or the tropics in dense vegetation, a large knife will limb a tree, handle woody vines or clear a path. I find it safer for me to swing a large knife at an overhead target, too.

I think this is what it all comes down to. ^^^. Know your environment! Thanks

Back