Large Historic Knives and their Origins: Bowie (California), Khukuri (Nepal), Bolo Knife (Philippines), Golok (Indonesia), etc., etc.

I was thinking of Large Historic Knives and their Origins: Bowie (California), Khukuri (Nepal), Bolo Knife (Philippines), Golok (Indonesia), Tsakat (Armenia), etc., etc.

I'm curious about other similar knives and their places of origin? Thanks.

There is also likely an evolution from Kopis to falcata to kukuri.

n2s

Both the Parang and the Golok are from a huge region called the Malay Archipelago, mostly Indonesia and Malaysia.

I don’t think Jim Bowie really went west of Texas…you might be thinking of the No Knife Ever, which originated from California.
Jim may not have made it to California, but his knife (whatever it was) would have been influence by Spanish Empire designs which had flowed into California, Mexico, Texas, etc.

Good ideas tend to get emulated. What is most interesting about knives is the vast variety that has continued into our present day. This more than any other tool has a truly rich history. Even the Roman gladius sword eventually was reborn in war as the smatchet* of WWII ( and... Welsh WWI sword, French/American/Russian Artillery sidearm, and countless others).

42475537_1_x.jpg

n2s

*meme satisfied

Last edited:
There are also the Bill hook/Fascine knife styles of large knives, which were highly popular in European culture.

n2s

Jim may not have made it to California, but his knife (whatever it was) would have been influence by Spanish Empire designs which had flowed into California, Mexico, Texas, etc.

Good ideas tend to get emulated. What is most interesting about knives is the vast variety that has continued into our present day. This more than any other tool has a truly rich history. Even the Roman gladius sword eventually was reborn in war as the smatchet* of WWII ( and... Welsh WWI sword, French/American/Russian Artillery sidearm, and countless others).

42475537_1_x.jpg

n2s

*meme satisfied
I also find it rather interesting that different sources can’t seem to agree on what Jim Bowie’s knife looked like for sure.

So California is now a Country ??
Go figure ...
California wasn't annex to the US until 1846, before then it was loosely tied to Mexico... So whatever it was in the 1830s, was far from being a US State.

n2s

yeah, cali was spanish until 1821, then with mexico until 1847 (in January, when the treaty was signed)

as for great historical blades, most of the great ones have been mentioned

the kopis is the grandfather of the kukri style blades I believe, probably spread thru asia by alexander the great

Richard F. Burton's 1884 The Book of the Sword is one of the best studies on the history of edged weapons. William Gilkerson's 1991 Boarders Away With Steel- Edged Weapons and Polearms is another.

And .....from elsewhere....Here is the well known African Seme used by the Masai.

AMS1.jpg

Just the thing for lion hunting.

n2s

Back