1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Large Inkosi Lock Failure

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Maretus, Jan 3, 2021.

1. vwb563

vwb563 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Name calling? Classy. :thumbsdown:

Officer's Match and matt009au like this.
  2. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I’d send CRK an email or call them as well. Even if DLT is the route you go I’d still let CRK know

3. Maretus

Maretus

Jan 3, 2021
    Was really hoping that my sarcasm would come through there. Apparently it didn’t. Just joking around man. Have a good night.

adrock25, Peakbagger46, Ruudr and 4 others like this.
  4. Maretus

Maretus

Jan 3, 2021
    Yeah, I’m going to. I can’t figure why the lockbar/ball won’t seat fully, but that seems to be the issue.

Do they pre-notch the area on the tang where the ball detent is supposed to rest? Or is that notch looking area in the above photos just the result of use?

5. Easyrider

Easyrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    I hope you post what the ultimate resolution turns out to be. Repair or replacement?

6. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    @Maretus The notch or ball track is from use. They’re all a little different. The ball kinda settles in over time into a seat, so to speak.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  7. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
    I’ve experienced something similar on a folder when the pivot wasn’t tight enough. Try tightening the pivot a little more and see if that eliminates the problem.

I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t follow up with CRK and DLT as you are doing, just proposing a possible cause and simple solution.

Good luck getting it straightened out.

Maretus likes this.
  8. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I had the same experience on a zaan (without the cut, thankfully) and it also soured me on the ceramic ball. On the other hand, CRK fixed it up, no problem.

9. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I sent it into CRK and Chris fixed it personally and called me on the phone to discuss. I did use and carry it after but was always leary of it afterwards though. It never failed again. When I had it happen on another zaan that did it for me.

Peakbagger46 and Maretus like this.
  10. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Whoa..... definitely contact crk. They will make it right

Maretus likes this.
  11. Maretus

Maretus

Jan 3, 2021
    It’s on its way back to DLT for a replacement. Hoping for a quick turnaround as I’m going out of town for work next week.

So far, DLT has been top notch.

BD_01 likes this.
  12. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    In my opinion, the ball interface has not break-in properly. I do not have an inkosi but I do an umnumzaan. When it is properly set, my umnumzaan lock bar is like 90% but not touching the presentation handle. I was worried back then that it was an issue, but in fact it was designed that way. The lock stayed there since with solid lockup and no other issues. And yes there is a deep score mark on the blade tang unlike the 21 which is smooth.

BTW from the video, the engagement sound is spot on, all it needs is break-in period.

13. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    No. "Break in" on a CRK can mean easing up on the detent (opening), but never lock security.

14. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Well, at least it sounds like it’s fine. :rolleyes:

Peakbagger46 and jumpstat like this.