Large Inkosi vs Large 21

I do not have an inkosi, but i do a umnumzaan who does share similarities such as pivot style and ball lock system. I still prefer the 21Large due to its simple construction thus much easier to maintain. The best is to have both and you will love them, however there will be a favourite.

I really like both so I'm probably no help. Here is what I like in one over the other.

What I like about the 21:
- The 21 is a little thinner and less bulky in the pocket
- The 21 has the pivot bushing, so once broke in, it's set it/forget it.

What I like about the 25/Inkosi:
- I can open the 25 with both hands (truly ambidextrous)
- The ergos on the 25/Inkosi are a bit better for my hand (Large gloves).

I really like both so I'm probably no help. Here is what I like in one over the other.

What I like about the 21:
- The 21 is a little thinner and less bulky in the pocket
- The 21 has the pivot bushing, so once broke in, it's set it/forget it.

What I like about the 25/Inkosi:
- I can open the 25 with both hands (truly ambidextrous)
- The ergos on the 25/Inkosi are a bit better for my hand (Large gloves).

Speaking of breaking in. How long did it take you to break in your 21? My small 21 is still not all the way broken in after a couple months.

b7f869cf0164c6787e001d21f7773f4e.jpg

I'm a big fan of both 21's and 25's/inkosi's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of breaking in. How long did it take you to break in your 21? My small 21 is still not all the way broken in after a couple months.

It takes time.. don't rush it, it will happen. Just make sure to keep cleaning and re-lubing and it will butter in real nice. Keep in mind that Sebenza's aren't "flickers", at least not to me. I know mine are broke in when I push the lock bar when facing down and the blade will release and drop 90 degrees.

Last edited:

i suggest that you take it apart, clean it well and lube it with a small amt of finish line extreme fluoro grease and then see what happens after you open and close it a few dozen times

My small Insingo is still a little stiff after more than a year of regular use and cleaning compared to my 4 other 21s. I have no trouble opening and closing and it's a very smooth hydraulic feel but it's not free falling like the others. Funny thing is that it now feels normal and maybe a little more "solid" to me. These are fitted by hand and I suspect reflect the taste of the workman.

Use thread or pipe tape instead of thread locker. Less messy, easier to remove to clean and faster to install. No waiting.

21 all day every day. I still prefer the bushing pivot, "adjustable" grip, and titanium lockup where the is no "squish" when you squeeze. A ball lockup doesn't have and "directional" hold, which IMHO is why the 25 allowed the lockbar to have vertical play, prompting the "Inkosi" notch.

I have a plain jane large 21 a small insingo 21, and a large micarta insingo 21, a small inkosi with ball groove, and a large micarta inkosi without groove. Yes I spend too much money on knives. Also, as far as lock bar goes, with blades opened I can move lock bar on all of them in either direction with enough force (about the same for all of them) and have never had a lock failure or any other issue because of it. Personally I like the small 21's and the large inkosi's. Would prefer a thinner blade on inkosi, but that ceramic ball interface cuts out that moment when blade falls off detent onto lockbar causing a small hiccup in smoothness of action. Admittedly before I actually had a large inkosi in hand I thought I would prefer the 21 but now that I own one I am definitely an Inkosi "fanboy"
I did have initial concerns about whether or not the ceramic ball might wear to large a groove in tang causing blade play, however after extensive searching internet I have not been able to find any complaints other than the umnumzaan being opened too slow causes early lockup but I believe that is due to the rubber o-rings not the ceramic ball. I'd say its passed the test of time with flying colors.

Last edited:
Another +1 for the Seb 21. It's my primary EDC, and will be for the year, at least!

It all depends on how you use your knives. The Inkosi has a thicker blade, a deeper hollow grind, the ceramic ball lock face and the clip is slightly angled for comfort and an adjustable pivot.
If you're using it for work related chores as well as light duty, the Inkosi may be the way to go.
The 21 is the iconic CRK, thinner blade, bushing system, better slicer and also a good work knife.
For me, the thicker blade instills a little more confidence that doesn't make me second guess if I've got the right tool for the task at hand.

If you think you need the added girth of the Inkosi blade vs a 21 blade for a particular task, then you'reusing the completely wrong tool to begin with.

Back