Large knife carry options?

I just recently picked up a Koster Survivor. :thumbup: :thumbup: I have been considering my sheath options for this knife and just large heavy blades in general. I carry multiple knives in both kydex and leather and Im very happy with both for their intended use. I have never had a knife the size of this Survivor beast. Is belt carry even a practical option? Is just attaching to my various bags and packs a more practical option? Tek-loks? Is there a benefit to either leather or a specific kydex style for a blade this size and heavy? etc.....

I'm sorry for all of the questions but a sheath system for this size knife is costly. I hate to make a "noob" mistake and pay the price. (literally)

Thank you!!!!

i think its a great question i wear a heavy blade on my belt when im working or limbing a tree ihave also wore one on my day pack and would only use when needed it was a kydex and tech loc on my day pack i would tie it down with the holes that where provded in kydex sheath but im no expert. would like to hear from some others

ChuddyBear leather.... great guy, fast service, EXCELLENT work ! Online site has many carry styles to choose from.

Hope this helps

I'm working on getting a nylon version of a Sam Browne belt with shoulder strap done up. Given that it was originally designed as a sword belt I think it ought to do nicely. I've also got a 7-ft long nylon belt on the way for use as a double-wrap belt in the classic medieval style. When I receive them I'll be sure to post a review here. :)

I carry my large blades in the pack usually.
Around the camp or if I go to pick up fire wood, I use this set-up. It's comfortable and it's out of the way.
IMG_0819_1.jpg

Usually I also put a shirt on and the set-up disapears.....don't wanna look like Mad Max.

I can never really wear a super heavy knife on my belt due to having been born without much of an ass. It pulls my pants down. For choppers, I like to either use a Baldric rig or just leave it in the pack until I'm ready to use it.

I know. I know. lol. Every time I mention that, you guys show me the suspenders sites. hahaha. I'll get some eventually.

I can never really wear a super heavy knife on my belt due to having been born without much of an ass. It pulls my pants down. For choppers, I like to either use a Baldric rig or just leave it in the pack until I'm ready to use it.

I have plenty of ass but I'm still concerned about the weight. I was thinking it might have to stay in the pack but I might seriously consider a baldric set up. I've just never used one.

I know. I know. lol. Every time I mention that, you guys show me the suspenders sites. hahaha. I'll get some eventually.

In all seriousness, though, Holdups work great. I have a set of their clip-on Y-backed braces for dressy occasions. If you want to go really hardcore with them, though, I hear that loggers really like these ones. ;)

I have a Survivor. I made myself a deep pouch sheath for it with a dangler. I wear it on my belt with it strapped to my leg. This design allows me to sit down with it on.

Good knife by the way!!! Especialy after I convexed the edge.

Here are a couple that I made. I like how they set the knife for ease of access. Though it depends on the pack you carry. I like to have my frame pack so the drop sheath is a great option for me. The other sheath sits on my back side and it is great for just a small pack and/or a day hike.

DSC07436.jpg

DSC07446.jpg

Good leatherwork Crazy!!

We have very similar carry preferences. I generaly carry a 5"er in a Horizontal sheath as well. Just doesn't work with a pack. Then it goes in my Ribz.

Back