Large knife challenge

The small knife challenge was started by @ShaiHulud. This is the flip side of the coin.

This is the large knife challenge. Do you usually carry a small knife (less than 3” blade)? For one month, you have to only use [any] knife that is longer than 3 inches in blade length for all your
day to day cutting/edc tasks.

There is a twist however: every time you find that longer than 3 inches worked better for you, you HAVE to write it down. At the end of the month long challenge, count how many times a larger knife worked better for you then post up.

Any takers?…..
Since I'm using Recon 1 tanto as EDC for my tanto challenge - I'd say I'm a taker by default.

My challenge will however last 2 months (for personal reasons).

I'll see how it goes.

As of this morning I've bowed out. I missed the small 31.
The way you said that made me think of this:
seinfeld-kramer.gif

I never thought about the size. It’s always been about the practical side for me. I measured my pocket knife and it’s just over 3”. But it’s still pretty new. I’m sure I’ll sharpen it down some.

For me it’s more of a “ how does it fit I’m my pocket and still maintain a practical use. Comfortable in my hand and easy to open. But most important is how does it maintain an edge.“ I’ve carried a knife my whole life. I suppose they have been anywhere from 2 1/2” to 3 1/2”.

I have been making knives for a couple years but only make fixed blades so far. Maybe I need to make a folder. If I do I think I’ll go 4”+. I think the 3”+\- is all to common to create a challenge.

This is like Schrodinger's Challenge. I carry a folder with a greater than 3 inch blade pretty much every single day...but also tend to carry a slippie in the other pocket with a 3 or usually sub-3 inch blade. Therefore, it's clear that I have both won and lost this challenge.
Same.

Large folder clipped to right pocket, with a slipjoint dropped in.

Small folder clipped to right pocket, Leatherman on belt.

Plus the assorted fixed blades and machetes scattered all over my trucks, along with SAKs in multiple med kits and Maxpedtion pouches full of stuff.

Over knifed.....??????

Oooooooohhhhh yyyaaaaaaahhh...

I could get by for a month with my Case large stockman and complete both challenges. So should I?
I have thought about trying to carry a slip joint for a month but I don't know if I could do it. It would for sure be a challenge for me.

So it has been like 18 days of carrying the Native Chief every day. Definitely loving it. I enjoy the additional blade length. Still a pretty light knife. I was using a Dodo or Chaparral most days before this - always had an Endura (with wave and reground to a Wharncliffe) and SAK on me though.

The Chaparral showed me how nice this steel is, so, I cut through a ton of cardboard, a big chem container full each day, I have only touched up once every ~2 work days? That's to keep it fingernail catching at the start of each day. Did this routine in the morning and having gotten home, it aggressively still catches fingernail.

I do a few passes on the flat portion of my gray Spydie Sticks, and choose to take a few swipes on a diamond loaded strop most times. I also strop on cardboard multiple times throughout the day at work - this works, and also helps get rid of any tape residue or junk.

Last edited:
In thinking about this, I only have one knife under 3" I regularly carry, and that's my Brian Tighe and friends small Twist Tighe OTF. It's generally a gym/lightweight shorts carry.

Back