Large Sebenza 21 Lockup

nickj79

Gold Member
Im curious to know how many of you have purchased a Large 21 w very early lockup?

I recently handled a Large 21 that came straight from CR with VERY early lockup. It was also the smoothest i have ever handled and less than ZERO lock stick. You couldn't even feel it was making contacts when disengaging. Im assuming this Early lockup was key. Most knives with extremely early lockup exhibit this trait. Ive never had a late lockup CR that was super smooth to disengage. And unfortunately most i have come in contact with have later than 60% lockup.

Now im on a quest to find one new like this for myself.

"Super early" is somewhat subjective. I've seen quite a few XM-18's with what I would consider super early lockup, but not a 21. Can you post some pics?

Im curious to know how many of you have purchased a Large 21 w very early lockup?

I recently handled a Large 21 that came straight from CR with VERY early lockup. It was also the smoothest i have ever handled and less than ZERO lock stick. You couldn't even feel it was making contacts when disengaging. Im assuming this Early lockup was key. Most knives with extremely early lockup exhibit this trait. Ive never had a late lockup CR that was super smooth to disengage. And unfortunately most i have come in contact with have later than 60% lockup.

CRKs generally come with abit later lockups. While early lockups are good because the lock has more room to wear there is a point where it becomes too early and the lock becomes dangerous because of too little engagement.

In truth I judge each knife on a case to case basis but many knives with excessively early lockups can be unsafe.

Your CRK knives lockbar faces are carburized and thus won't be wearing away very quickly. The Sebenza is generally seen coming with about 40-55% lockup.

Zaan and Inkosi look like they have later lockup too because of the ceramic ball lockface.

Have to agree with Lapedog on this one. I own 7 sebenzas and all came with about 50 percent lockup. None early but all have moved at least a good 10 percent or so during the break in period. Whichnis good. If it stays early I would most definitely send it in. I hate to be one that says 'just send it in' but customer service is a very big part on a knife that is 300+ dollars. My opinion of course.

I don't know if you've handled an Inkosi yet, but with the pocket clip off the lock bar, my natural micarta inlay is the easiest CRK I have to disengage the lock.
I've got a few 21's with 30-40 % lock up and they are smooth, but not as smooth as the Inkosi.

I saw someone once post something along these lines: with all the talk of late lockup concern, across all these knife forums, has anyone ever seen a lock bar wear through all the way to the frame?

I saw someone once post something along these lines: with all the talk of late lockup concern, across all these knife forums, has anyone ever seen a lock bar wear through all the way to the frame?

Not quite 100%, but I've got a large decorated regular that has about 98% lock up. It's a collector piece so I'm not concerned about it unless I decide to sell it.

I think the lockup percentage is a moot point on a CRK knife (Unless it is sooo early that it isn't really making contact, or sooo late that it's hitting the presentation slab)

I've used CRKs (and I actually use them) and have yet to see any of them move more than a c-hair deeper on the lockup, I put a 25 through the ringer for years and it may have moved a c-hair deeper, hard to tell.

Unless you are doing something crazy out of the norm with your knife, I wouldn't worry about it if it's anywhere from 10% to 95%.

I also have to agree that removing the pocketclip makes them feel slightly smoother, without the extra force of the pocketclip pushing against the lockbar it makes it just a little bit smoother to disengage.

Back