Large sodbuster comparable in quality to GEC #21 Bullbuster?

Hi all,

I'd like to get my hands on another orange Delrin Bullbuster or two. Sadly, they're not in production right now, everyone is sold out, and the only resellers on eBay are asking literally hundreds of dollars, which is out of the question. Can you recommend a similarly sized large sodbuster (yellow or orange handle would be ideal) comparable in fit, finish and walk and talk? Carbon steel preferred, but I'm okay with a good stainless, too. I know there's the large Case sodbuster, but I've heard the quality can be hit and miss. Never tried a German Eye Brand, which is another big sodbuster that comes to mind.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

High quality carbon steel traditional with orange delrin handles and comparable in quality to GEC and reasonably priced.

I would like to help but gee, those are some tough criteria my friend. Are you sure you aren’t better posting in the wtb section?

Case won't be the same quality fit & finish as GEC and neither will Eye Brand. Both are good knives, though, in their own way. I don't know if Eye Brand large sodbusters are currently being made. I can only speak to the quality of the older ones. There are a few other German brands of sodbusters and I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend one of them.

It looks like Otter makes a large sodbuster in carbon steel, but with a wood handle. I have never seen one though, so can’t comment on the quality.

Equally hard to find and just as expensive is Smith and Son's Mudbug. BUT the same quality. I have seen a few for sale from time to time.

Attachments

• Mudbugs.jpg
    Mudbugs.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 12
One of the good things about Case is, you can find distributors all over. Sometimes as close as a local hardware store or big chain outdoor sporting goods stores.

They don’t always have large selections but, Sodbusters are more than likely found at even the smallest of dealers.

You’ll pay a bit more than you will at online retailers but you get to inspect the knife/knives before buying and hopefully, support a local business.

High quality carbon steel traditional with orange delrin handles and comparable in quality to GEC and reasonably priced.

I would like to help but gee, those are some tough criteria my friend. Are you sure you aren’t better posting in the wtb section?

Indeed, I know it sounds like I'm basically asking for another GEC #21. Was just curious if there was anything else out there that comes close.

Case won't be the same quality fit & finish as GEC and neither will Eye Brand. Both are good knives, though, in their own way. I don't know if Eye Brand large sodbusters are currently being made. I can only speak to the quality of the older ones. There are a few other German brands of sodbusters and I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend one of them.
Thanks for the reply. I may have seen some Eye Brand sodbusters recently, but many vendors seem out of stock -- and I'm pretty sure I saw some resellers offering them for over a hundred bucks a pop. I might still consider Case; I am looking for user knives, just became accustomed to the quality of GEC.

It's hard to match the build quality of the GEC Sodbusters. They really are top of the heap.
But in fairness, the Case Sodbusters are are still very good and rugged knives that can be had much cheaper.

Neither Otter nor Case will provide immaculate fit and finish, but then, this pattern has long history as a tool better suited for work than for display. Now that you've given me the inspiration, I'm going to drop one of these in my pocket today.
tp6rmBjl.jpg

Some years ago, Bulldog Knives had a more refined version of the Eye Brand sod buster pattern, with a high-polished carbon steel blade and match-strike nail nick, and brightly colored synthetic handles in yellow, green and red at least. Like the Eye Brand, they were a slimmer carry - not as full-fisted as the Case or others, but perfectly thin & light for back-pocket carry. I have some of those - I'll have to dig them out and take some pics, which I'll try to post a bit later.

I assume theirs was made in the same factory in Germany as the Eye Brand. The pattern itself was an identical match in shape & size to the more basic-aesthetic Eye Brand version. I have one of those Eye Brand versions and it's quite a bit 'rougher' in fit & finish. The backspring actually has a warp in it, and it makes the liners flex visibly when opening & closing that folder. But I like the blade steel and it takes a great edge. Definitely a 'user' knife and it wouldn't please those looking for more refinement. But that's largely true of most of these 'sod buster' patterns anyway, in more moderately-priced production models.

Keep your eyes open on the groups is my advice. I recently did see one go I believe. Not as bad as evil bay prices, but definitely a scalping all the same :rolleyes:😞.

Hey all, I tried responding to some of your replies earlier today, but seemed to have a bit of trouble getting my posts to appear. Not sure what happened there, but I'll do a general reply below:

-I know it sounds like I was essentially looking for another GEC #21. From what I've gathered, it seems that their Bullbuster is about as good as it gets for traditional sodbusters where fit and finish are concerned, short of a custom piece.

-I'm looking for user knives, not showpieces. What really matter are ergonomics and cutting performance; I suppose I just got accustomed to GEC's quality -- once you experience that, it's hard to go back. So long as the knife is comfortable in hand, cuts well, has a good backspring, and no blade play or other major defects, I'll be happy.

-I'd forgotten all about the Maserin Plow; I remember looking at it years ago. Unfortunately, the vendor doesn't ship internationally. I'm in Canada. Our in-store knife selection is poor relative to the US; I can't just walk into a hardware store and expect to find a display of even something as commonplace as Case knives. Cabela's (a big outdoor retailer) doesn't appear to carry them, and even Mountain Equipment Co-Op in our most populous city has a relatively scant selection of knives, locked up behind glass. You all south of the border have much selection available. /rant

-I'd also forgotten about Otter brand knives, I'll check them out. Brighter handle scales would be nice, but then, I have a habit of forgetting where I've set down tools, hence my preference for orange or yellow. Just easier to find.

I've got a couple Maserin Plows and can vouch for them being a first class knife..... D2 blade, adjustable pivot, great action..... I don't know of anything not to like.....

While I don't personally have one, the Moki Blakiston's Fish Owl Black Linen Micarta Lock Back is said to be a fine knife with impeccable fit and finish.
The large one is about 4" closed. The small one about 3 1/2" closed.
It does only come in AUS-8 (stainless) though ... and I just might have to pick one up LOL

Back