largest every day carry?

Biggest I've routinely carried in my EDC Rotation is the S&M FW 3-blade Wildcat Driller and a Case Midnite Black Bone Elephant Toenail.

They are both Huge Folders...

but they serve their purposes on the days they are carried.

SAK one hand Trekker. It's a load to carry and now I only pocket carry it when I hunt. Other than that a Stockman is as big as I like to go.

Largest I carry is my Vic Super Tinker. 91MM and three layers, so I feel it in my pocket, but can deal with it. I have a Large Boker Stockman that's 4 inches long, maybe a little more, and not as thick as my Vic, but I figure if I am going to carry something that big, I might as well have the other tools to go along with it. Otherwise it's a Peanut or Vic Cadet.

Queen Texas Toothpick and Buck 110 are my largest traditional style knife. The Toothpick I carried in pocket for a bit. The 110 was usually on my belt or in my backpack.

I no longer carry anything larger than 3.5", that includes clipped one-handers and other modern styled knives. SAK's are limited to 2 layers. My large knifes only get carried if I know ahead of time that I'll be doing something that requires a large knife.

Here is my Gene Anderson custom "Madman"5.5 inch folder.Acrylic pearl and ATS-34. It just barley fits in the pocket . Great for cutting birthday cakes at work. I wear an XL glove by the way.

IM000704.jpg

Usually a 3 5/8 stockman.My new MM stock gets the EDC now.It comes in at 3 1/4, a tad small. I'm trying to get used to the 3 7/8 MM Muskrat but can't get used to it. I have a Case 80's 9 dot that's 3 7/8 and I never got used to carrying that one either.

Biggest I've routinely carried in my EDC Rotation is the S&M FW 3-blade Wildcat Driller and a Case Midnite Black Bone Elephant Toenail.

They are both Huge Folders...

but they serve their purposes on the days they are carried.

How do you like the Case elephant toenail??? I watch them on ebay but they tend to get outta my price range pretty quick... I wish more manufacturers would produce the toenail pattern, i love my Wildcat but would love to have an actual toenail...
ivan

Case Gunboat Canoe (4.25") has been my edc for a few months. Does everything I need, including kitchen duty. I've also been known to slip a Boker 2020 folding hunter (5.25") in my pocket from time to time, just because I like it.

I am limited to a 3" blade at work so most of my knives are 3 or a little less. I do carry a Case trapper from time to time as people are less intimidated by a traditional knife than one of the tacticals so I can get away with a slightly larger knife. Steven

I used to max out at 3 7/8 inches in length. Thickness was a four layer SAK. Then I got a Queen Mountain Man Lockback andloved it. That got me thinking. So I tried a two bladed folding hunter. Its the most comfortable folder I have in use. The shape of the handle and balance make a dream to use. Only problem is, that its a bit bulkier than I'd like in my pocket. I guess the next step is to try a single bladed folding hunter.

Leo

I like big folders every now and again. Some folks consider a regular-size trapper to be "large," but to me it's pretty normal. Right now, I have an old Ka-Bar two-blade folding hunter in my front pocket. Sometimes, albeit rarely, I carry a Buck 110. Sometimes, an Opinel No. 10 finds its way into my pocket, and sometimes it's an 11" OAL italian stiletto. :D
Used to carry one of those S&M English jacks, until it was stolen from my totaled truck while I was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. EMT fee? ;)
The problem I have with large folders is that the blades work loose pretty easily in my experience. I've tightened this old Ka-Bar several times, but the play keeps coming back. Anyone else notice this?

Case Wharncliffe Copperlock is the largest Traditional I've carried, or am likely to. It's thin, so it fits in my pocket well even though it's longer by a good bit than the other knives I usually carry. Sometimes a better fit than the other, thicker knives, really.

I've carried larger, pocket clip, wearing knives in my pockets, but they are really too big to carry around all the time, for me.

IVAN,

The Case Elephant Toe is pretty close to the Wildcat Driller in Size, same length, a little narrower...doesn't have a tapered end as the Driller does.

When used as designed it is awesome, thin blade great for slicing. I've used it for entire weekends slicing the plastic packing bands off of bunks of lumber, harvesting vegetables, food prep, and trimming lots and lots of rope...everything from manilla rope to 5/8" nylon (?) Kernmantle.

The tru-sharp does need more upkeep to maintain a working edge than the ATS-34 on the Wildcat Driller, but it is easier to touch up than the ATS-34.

As far as how it carries...well I used to rfp EDC a Buck 110 it's a lot like that. A good knife if you can find one.

Once we get past a certain size range, I tend to prefer a small sheath knife over a big folder.

The largest I ever edc'd was a Microtech SOCOM or a Buck 110 both right at 5". Right now I edc a VIC one hander at 4.5 " but am looking at some 4 1/8" trappers.

Longest was the ring locker Okapi @ 5.5" closed & 9.5" open. Heaviest was probably a 110 with runner up going to a thick Wenger (model unkown, 5 layers?) that my Grandpa gave me. Anymore the biggest is a Vic Camper (3 layer), single blade 4 1/8" trapper or an EKA 88.

Frank

you guys have some beautiful knives in some of these posts, i'm green with envy:D
and its gonna cost me some bucks cause there are a few i'm eyeballing a little too closely, my bank account is still tender from christmas:)
ivan

Back