Last US veteran of WW1 dies at 110

Serving in World War 1, enduring Japanese internment in the Philippines during World War 2, and observing events for over a century, a true survivor.

May he finally rest in peace.

He had a great mindset. I hope our WWII vets can have the same quality of life he had. RIP.

Last edited:
Pretty soon, it will take a few years, but we will be saying this about the last World War Two Veteran...then it will be Korea...then, strangely enough, Vietnam

Rest easy.

My sister is a dental assistant at Bay Pines Veterans Hospital in Tampa, Fla. One of her patients in the late 1970's was the last surviving Spanish-American War veteran.
Wish I could've met him.

Jeff

My sister is a dental assistant at Bay Pines Veterans Hospital in Tampa, Fla. One of her patients in the late 1970's was the last surviving Spanish-American War veteran.
Wish I could've met him.

Jeff

My Great grand father fought in both the Spanish/ American war and WWI. He Lost a lung to mustard gas...tough old mule.
I hear what you are saying Don Rearic, Both grand fathers served in WWII and my Dad in Vietnam. My Dads been gone 13 years, and his dad, for almost 20 years. Time flies on broken wings faster than I walk on lame knees ....

Thanks for the replies & taking the time to read the article. May he RIP
I'm a veteran & I have a large amount of my family that either served or is in the service now. I like this story because even though Mr.Buckles never saw combat he's still a important part of the military machine. I'm sure the carnage surrounding him during the great war & as a pow in the philippines was just as tragic. God bless all those that have worn the uniform.

I wish I had talked to my grandfather about his experiences in WW2 before he passed away a few years ago, and my dad still won't talk about his two tours in Vietnam. I figure if he wants to discuss it he'll let me know. I really support the veteran projects that are recording the history from those who served in WW2 etc... because as someone said soon we'll be sadly saying the same thing about them & it will be good for future generations to know of their sacrifices.

As the sign Say's at all the VA centers I"ve been to." The Cost of Freedom is Here just Look Around You". God bless our Milatary here and Gone.

Back