Lawman or Recon?

Going to the biggest gun show in west this weekend and as I said Cold Steel will be there, and I am told they will have deal.

Been broozing their web-site, and the Recon, or Lawman are my knives of intrest.

Why one over the other?

Assuming you mean the normal full-size versions and not the mini or micros, I'd go with the Lawman. It's a more manageable size for EDC. If you're looking for a CTS-XHP blade though, I think the Recon 1 is still the only one available right now.

I'll come out of left field and say ak47, waves open like a monster and fits the hand like a glove.

I have the same predicament, aesthetically enjoy both knives but don't need to buy them both at the same time.
I have handled both and the recon 1 is a very large knife, I carry a buck 110 daily and the recon 1 feels huge. The lawman is smaller while still being a large knife, the blade to handle ratio is a bit better on the recon 1.
If you want a big impressive blade Or prefer big knives then the recon 1 is a winner, if you prefer a more modest and practical EDC, then the lawman fits that's bill.

I am going for the recon 1 myself, will have both eventually.

I got to look at both knive in person, was not impress to the point of making a purchase, and decided against buying either one.

They are supposed to be coming out with the CTS-XHP steel versions next year. If you find one, get it. I have the standard Mini-Recon1 and it is a top knife. But, for something larger, I think the American Lawman is more practical, though I would not turn up my nose at the Recon 1. One thing to think about is that even though the Triad lock is extremely strong, they can fail, as any lock can. On my Mini Recon1, due to the design of the knife, the flat blade tang rear of the choil hits my finger when folding the knife, rather than the sharp blade. Try the Recon1 and AL and see if holding them normally, you can (gently) close the knife on your fingers without coming into contact with the edge. Superior design can save your irreplaceable fingers.

In the full size versions I would go with the lawman. I had the Recon in the spear point model and it was a very big folder. I ended up selling it because of its size. The lawman is a bit more manageable and the finger choile gives it great versatility.

Don't overlook the Mini recon. I have a clip point version and love it. Blade, lockbar and back spacer coatings removed. The blade I left stonewashed. The lockbar and back spacer I took to a mirror polish. I also polished the lock interface really well. It's a different knife. I'm ditching the factory scales for red linen micarta. In full size I'd go with the lawman for EDC.

Get a lawman and strip the finish and sand down the g10 - after that, awesome knife for the money.

Have a full size Lawman and love it. Don't have a Recon so can't offer a comparison.
Bob

Back