lawn mower blade steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blades on the larger commercial zero turn mowers; what kind of steel would that be? I've been exposed to a supposedly unlimited (and free!) supply of these.
Also, what kind of steel are consumer lawn mower blades? I had heard 5160, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

Trust a Scot to think about such things.... always looking to save money-

I maybe wrong, and please correct me if I am but I'd think it would be some form of tool steel. Maybe D2 or O1. But I may not be right.

you would be better off using a known steel. lawn mower blades are all different kinds of steel and some arent even good steel at that. order some simple steel that you know what it is such as 1084, or 5160. with mystery or unknown steel you wont know how to heat treat.

search on here for Aldo Bruno for the 1084

and kelly cupples for the 5160.

these are the simplest to heat treat according to most of the guys on here.

good luck

jake

If you have an unlimited supply of it, it'd be best to try to get it tested. That way you'd know for sure what it is, whether it be junk, or good steel (that you have an unlimited supply of)

I would be extremely surprised if any lawnmower blades are O1, D2 or even 5160. That kind of quality steel just isn't needed for that application.

If you have a whole bunch of 'em from the same manufacturer, get a piece of one tested. Check with the manufacturer first... cheaper that way. If they're not a cutlery steel, sell 'em as scrap and buy some new steel.

Most lawnmower blades I have dealt with seemed to have one operating criterion, soft.
I have yet to sharpen a lawnmower blade that was hard enough to challenge even a dull file, they need to bend when they hit a rock rather than break

-Page

Exactly, Page. I spent an autumn mowing parks 8 hours a day for the county (great job) and never saw a blade chip. They just fold over and are very easy to knock back into shape.

Gentlemen, Please,Please stop googling "Lawn Mower Blade Steel" and deciding that is what you have. It is about the same as googling "Pretty Woman", and deciding your blind date will look like Julia Roberts.

Many years ago, lawn mowers were made with hard and sharp blades. They were sharpened once a season, and were some type of mid carbon steel. The type varied a lot, but usually had enough carbon to make a so-so knife.
Then there were a few instances when a blade hit something an a piece of blade flew off. Then the lawyers descended. Now lawn mower blades are soft and ductile, instead of hard and tough. They are designed to bend upon impact.

If you have a supply of the same blades, you may be able to contact the manufacturer of the blades. The mower manufacturer may have no idea what China is supplying.
The best plan would be to make sure they are all from the same source ( which they usually aren't) and have a 2X2" piece tested for about $50. If it is usable, fine, make some knives....if not, do the smarter thing, and order some 1084. Even if this batch of mower blades is good doesn't mean the next is.
It has been my experience that most modern mower blades are not good knife steel.

As far as being a Scot and being thrifty, allow me to re-introduce you to the oldest of Scottish axioms, "Penny Wise- Pound Foolish".

Stacy Elliott Apelt, FSA,Scot

Julian Roberts doesn't show up when I google "pretty woman" Stacy :D.

A person on another forum actually lives by a blade plant, he asked an engineer there and they said the ones they made were D2.

I can't think of a more inappropriate steel for a mower blade than D2. 10V A11 perhaps.

I would wager money that mower blades are generally not D2.

D2 makes a good slicer. Perhaps a sickle bar mower? Probably not...

Last edited:
if price is an issue on steel, seems like a GOOD file would be the way to go. some of the knives made of old files i've seen here are incredible. paul

A web page, chart diagram or list cannot tell you what steel any particular item may be made of. I know, I know, but… but … that famous bladesmith says, this page states… I don’t need to see the links, books etc… they just can’t. The only source on earth that can tell you what steel any particular item is made from is the steel supplier of the company that made that product, or a chemical analysis of the item itself. There are no rules or mandates that any item MUST be made from any particular steel and as for the charts and lists, I will not give up, but will reiterate it until my last breath, those charts and lists were developed to give people ideas as to the kind of applications that a given steel chemistry may provide the desirable properties for. Hence, eutectoid steel with 1% nickel or better would work well for high impact cutting applications like wood saws or mower blades, but it is incorrect to read it backwards and assume any saw or mower blade is L6. I really wished books websites and bladesmiths would stop perpetuating this backwards error that has caused so much trouble for so many knifemakers.

I agree with Nathan that D2 would be foolish for a mower blade, but I also do not doubt Sam that a manufacturer could be using it, as any individual manufacturer can use any steel they darn well please for any application and those lists, charts and website will mean nothing to them. The bottom line on steel selection in industry is cost effectiveness- period, end of story.

I don’t know about what they were in Grandpah’s day, but I can say with some certainty that the mower blades I get are not any decent edge holding alloy as I have spent a bit of time tweaking them to cut the way they should. I have re-heat treated them to no avail. But I do have a set on my mower that really hold up now, I accomplished this by cutting out and replacing sections of the blades with good steel that will hold an edge on my lawn and they behave nothing like the original blades did.

The good news is that an unlimited supply of mystery steel can indeed be turned into good blade steel! Over the past two days I turned old farm equipment and water heater tanks into good blade steel. I finally cleaned out my scrap pile to make space for my smelt and get together in August and took it all to the scrap yard, and converted it into around $200 cash!:thumbup: $200 can buy a pretty good start of a stack of fresh 1080, or 5160 bars! I often hear recycling as a good reason to use old scrap for blades, but it wasn’t until this week that I realized the real power of recycling. If you want to really make a difference by recycling, the tonnage of metals you can clear from the landscape and convert to something useful in one day is wonderful when you truck it to your local scrap yard.

Two thumbs up. I'm working on an alchemy experiment whereby I will convert several dozen bags of aluminum soda and beer cans into a few pounds of brand new cutlery steel... all it requires is a few pints of gasoline. :)

I need to convert a bunch of brass and copper drops into beer...

Some one on a forum had worked for company making them and it was a 15xx steel.Carbon content probably .50. After all they make huge amounts and they must be low cost and they can't chip or break so a 1550 would be appropriate.
But a CPM 3V would be SOOO much better !!!

.... I have spent a bit of time tweaking them to cut the way they should. I have re-heat treated them to no avail. But I do have a set on my mower that really hold up now, I accomplished this by cutting out and replacing sections of the blades with good steel that will hold an edge on my lawn and they behave nothing like the original blades did.

You might be a bladesmith if........ :D

I need to convert a bunch of brass and copper drops into beer...

ALCHEMY! :D

You might be a bladesmith if........ :D

That is so, SO, true! We could start a whole new thread on "you might be a bladesmith if...", but you know you are a hopeless blademaking anvil jockey when you start customizing your lawnmower blades:eek:. I have had many people laugh at me for this over the years. Other people may hop up their riding mower into a hot rod because they can, my mower is a pathetic old wreck, but the blades on it are not just grass cutters, they are fine tuned whirling blades of death!:D

I convert old amuminum and glass into beer and bourbon all the time, alchemy is really cool!:thumbup::D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back