Layered / laminated / multi-alloy titanium blades

Yea it is sort of a welding bead i guess. The welding bead is Ti15V so it is actually three different types of Titanium. I am sure Sam will chime in and tell more about it.
What i can tell you that this welding bead is only visible, you can‘t feel it. And it looks way cooler then on my crappy pic.

Yea it is sort of a welding bead i guess. The welding bead is Ti15V so it is actually three different types of Titanium. I am sure Sam will chime in and tell more about it.
What i can tell you that this welding bead is only visible, you can‘t feel it. And it looks way cooler then on my crappy pic.
I hate you...only because those laminated blades make my mono-alloy integral Turbine blade look like nothing;)

10 in Chef knives are all I use.
The above pic looks like there is welding bead.

That's correct. The parts (hardenable blade edge and softer body) are shaped through cutting and forging to match a curve, then welded with a highly dissimilar beta ti alloy. In the axe, it was welded and there was only a little forging on the weld itself after that (most was concentrated on the cutting edge), while on the katana the billet was straight and was hand-forged a lot directly on the weld, which "smeared" it around for more of a hamon look. Which was then mostly ground off, HA!

I like the pic. Yep you can feel it for sure, it really grabs on the grinder belt. That alloy is only 75% titanium! The reasons it looks so different, but it's a strong, heat-treatable alloy.

I hate you...only because those laminated blades make my mono-alloy integral Turbine blade look like nothing;)

You have the only jet engine sword-chete there is; that's not too shabby. :D

Not true, your falcata type integral Turbine blade is a killer piece.

To be honest with you, personally i'd pick a "mono-alloy" Ti blade over a laminated one, every time. If Sam would be able to make a 100% TiNb or BT23 axe or any sword shape i'd all over it instead of a laminated blade. Why? Because it's the most rare and exotic Ti with the best properties. Since this does not work simply because the TiNb is a small square stock and the BT23 comes in rather thin sheet form and both are very limited quantities, the lamination is the next best thing. Also it saves the precious TiNb and BT23. It all makes sense to me, just saying.

That said, i love each of my other mono-alloy Mecha blades. :D

Not true, your falcata type integral Turbine blade is a killer piece.

To be honest with you, personally i'd pick a "mono-alloy" Ti blade over a laminated one, every time. If Sam would be able to make a 100% TiNb or BT23 axe or any sword shape i'd all over it instead of a laminated blade. Why? Because it's the most rare and exotic Ti with the best properties. Since this does not work simply because the TiNb is a small square stock and the BT23 comes in rather thin sheet form and both are very limited quantities, the lamination is the next best thing. Also it saves the precious TiNb and BT23. It all makes sense to me, just saying.

That said, i love each of my other mono-alloy Mecha blades. :D

Aye, there is nothing the laminated blade will do that the mono blade can't do...except being bigger or more wildly shaped. It allows me to make more eccentric (erratic?) pieces. It conserves the the special blade alloys. And it looks ultra cool. It's worth the extra work, but there is something special and raw about a fully mono-ti blade.

The katana as of now:

xmPq3ZZ.jpg

ZfJ2pye.jpg

WXV6Ruc.jpg

TUpeqrZ.jpg

^damn, now that is nice there. well done. very well done, Sir.

One of the final and greatest steps into the creation of titanium swords is the layered sword, made of more than one titanium alloy. Not only does it look cool, certain alloys can be used for certain parts of the blade, eking out subtle performance enhancements. The techniques also alloy more flexibility in sword design.

Here is the first one of its kind, a shobu zukuri katana blade, made from three different titanium alloys. 28" blade, at 11.3 ounces.

mG4hzGU.jpg

nKtTmvr.jpg

4RuK4nK.jpg

jGtFSyW.jpg

gZSpVxu.jpg

jc4PNRr.jpg

oAMx7NB.jpg

Video:

More laminated blades to come!

Wow the sword blade especially is just beyond amazing.

Congratulations because your skill just seems to get better and better.

Wow the sword blade especially is just beyond amazing.

Congratulations because your skill just seems to get better and better.

Thanks Lapedog! Always trying to make them better. Doesn't matter what it's made out of if the sword isn't designed well, you know.

Back