1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Layered / laminated / multi-alloy titanium blades

Discussion in 'Mad Science Forge' started by Mecha, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BladeMan

BladeMan Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 1999
    Yea it is sort of a welding bead i guess. The welding bead is Ti15V so it is actually three different types of Titanium. I am sure Sam will chime in and tell more about it.
    What i can tell you that this welding bead is only visible, you can‘t feel it. And it looks way cooler then on my crappy pic.

jbmonkey, FOG2, Mecha and 1 other person like this.
  2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I hate you...only because those laminated blades make my mono-alloy integral Turbine blade look like nothing;)

3. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    That's correct. The parts (hardenable blade edge and softer body) are shaped through cutting and forging to match a curve, then welded with a highly dissimilar beta ti alloy. In the axe, it was welded and there was only a little forging on the weld itself after that (most was concentrated on the cutting edge), while on the katana the billet was straight and was hand-forged a lot directly on the weld, which "smeared" it around for more of a hamon look. Which was then mostly ground off, HA!

Mack, jbmonkey, FOG2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    I like the pic. Yep you can feel it for sure, it really grabs on the grinder belt. That alloy is only 75% titanium! The reasons it looks so different, but it's a strong, heat-treatable alloy.

You have the only jet engine sword-chete there is; that's not too shabby. :D

5. BladeMan

BladeMan Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 1999
    Not true, your falcata type integral Turbine blade is a killer piece.

To be honest with you, personally i'd pick a "mono-alloy" Ti blade over a laminated one, every time. If Sam would be able to make a 100% TiNb or BT23 axe or any sword shape i'd all over it instead of a laminated blade. Why? Because it's the most rare and exotic Ti with the best properties. Since this does not work simply because the TiNb is a small square stock and the BT23 comes in rather thin sheet form and both are very limited quantities, the lamination is the next best thing. Also it saves the precious TiNb and BT23. It all makes sense to me, just saying.

That said, i love each of my other mono-alloy Mecha blades. :D

vkp78, jbmonkey, Mecha and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

Aye, there is nothing the laminated blade will do that the mono blade can't do...except being bigger or more wildly shaped. It allows me to make more eccentric (erratic?) pieces. It conserves the the special blade alloys. And it looks ultra cool. It's worth the extra work, but there is something special and raw about a fully mono-ti blade.

Mack, jbmonkey, FOG2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    The katana as of now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbmonkey, fonedork, jlauffer and 3 others like this.
  8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    ^damn, now that is nice there. well done. very well done, Sir.

Mecha likes this.
  9. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thankoo! :D

WValtakis and jbmonkey like this.
  10. wongalex07

wongalex07

Jul 7, 2019
    Hei Sam, how do I place an order for a katana with you? Thanks!

Mecha likes this.
  11. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Wow the sword blade especially is just beyond amazing.

Congratulations because your skill just seems to get better and better.

jbmonkey and Mecha like this.
  12. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks Lapedog! Always trying to make them better. Doesn't matter what it's made out of if the sword isn't designed well, you know.

jbmonkey, Mack and WValtakis like this.
  13. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Usually just send an email. I'm out of town at the moment and will get back to them shortly, in case you already did and I haven't responded yet. :)

jbmonkey and WValtakis like this.