LB8 handle with LB7 blade

I don't have picture yet but I have a signature series Uncle Henry LB8 with an LB7 signature blade in it. Could this be an end of days knife, mistake or once repaired knife? Almost bid on it and sorry I didn't but the price was a bit steep w/o box and papers though it did come with the original sheath. Just curious if anyone else has seen a late model knife with this combination. Thanks for your replies.

Not sure what you mean by Signature Series, but I believe the earliest precursor to the LB8 was actually an LB7 with staglon handles.

Dave

I believe the blades are the same on both knives and interchangeable. Like DaveT63 said I also believe the early LB8s were LB7s with staglon scales.

What I meant about signature series was the Uncle Henry stamped on the tang with Shrade+. This is a three pin handle. I've seen the early stagalon LB7 but this appears to be late issue. Thanks for the replies.

I have 2 of these LB7 's with staglon handles , 1 is a 3 pin - tang stamp Uncle Henry over SCHRADE + over LB7 USA ,
the other is an earlier 4 pin - tang stamp SCHRADE + over USA LB7.

Dale from Orvet customs has shared some info regarding the blades on another forum , basically he says that the pivot holes are a different size and that sometimes an additional bushing was fitted to the pins more info can be found at http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=27462

It's true, the very first LB8 Uncle Henry knives came out a year before there was a true LB8, and they had LB7 blades. I believe they were packaged in a set with a 144UH, and were coined the Dixie Series. Etched with different states. Well something like that, without digging into old posts. Too lazy for it tonight, but this topic has been hashed over a few times.

Thank you for all the input. I just never seen an Uncle Henry over Schrade+ tang stamp in a stagalon handle. I wonder if this could be an "end of days knife"? No serial# and came in a blue/gray box.

i think there were two LB 7's with staglon handle series. one was the Dixie Collection and their serial number was a plain number mine is 009. another set had the southern states and the serial numbers started with the abbreviation of the state, NC475. i also have a 4 pin LB 7 staglon handle which didn't go with a set and its number is 1371. i am sure that muddies the water.

Last edited:
Hi Delmas,
was wondering if your dixie set has a 153 or 144,reason i'm asking i am waiting on a delivery of a set with a 144uh and LB7 staglon.
Both knives have a flower blade etch and matching serial numbers of sc507 stamped into the bolsters.Seller states south carolina from 1978.
cheer's,mark

it is the "Burnside" set. and is the 144 UH and the LB 7 with serial number 009. the etching on the blades is of the Burnside plantation. the sets included the Dixie states and plantations.

Attachments

• Dixie Collection Burnside 01.jpg
    Dixie Collection Burnside 01.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks Delma's , after reading Larry's thread on LB8 variances which has been informative , things are becoming a little clearer for me , or not .
mark

This is very interesting. I do believe I have an odd combination here though as I have not seen a three pin stagalon handle with an LB7 signature blade.

Here's the link to a Dixie thread which describes the 1978 "Dixie Edition" and 1980 "Dixie Collection" staglon LB7(8) and 144 sets in more detail:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/775962-1980-Dixie-Collection-Thread-%28144UH-and-staglon-LB-7%29

This is very interesting. I do believe I have an odd combination here though as I have not seen a three pin stagalon handle with an LB7 signature blade.

The three-line stamp LB7 blade on a staglon knife is odd. They only used LB7 blades in the very earliest LB8s ie. 1978-1981 or so. When LB8s went into regular production for 1981 they had a two line stamp as did the early LB7s. By the time Schrade switched to the three-line stamp on these knives they should have stopped putting LB7 blades in LB8s.

Once again hard and fast rules are elusive when it comes to Schrade. From what I have seen I believe the change from the two-line to three-line stamp was a running change with no firm date you can use to date your knife (ie. two lines equals pre-19xx and three line equals post-19xx). For a while it seems it was a toss-up which stamp you would receive as they used up old blades (that's my assumption anyway based on LB7 examples).

Here's an example of what I mean:

This LB7 is serial AA65958 and has engraving dating it to 1983. It has the two-line stamping:
07.jpg

This LB7 is serial AA50907. It has same initials of the engraver as the previous knife and because the serial is so close to the previous knife it can be assumed to have been made right around the same time (1983). It too has a two-line stamp:
200-06.jpg

200-inner.jpg

Now here is an exception which screws up any rule making regarding dates and two versus three line stamps.

This LB7 is serial Y13364 (earlier than the two double-alpha knives above) so it should have a two-line stamp. Right? Wrong! It has the three-line stamp!
22.jpg

25.jpg

All three example are complete when it comes to bling. All have same black sheath, white box and identical paperwork. I had hoped the change from two-line to three-line stamping would be a firm date that could be used to narrow down date of manufacture but as I have tried to demonstrate, it appears that in the early '80s some two-line knives left the factory after some three-line knives which completely screws up the date/stamp correlation.

It's true, the very first LB8 Uncle Henry knives came out a year before there was a true LB8, and they had LB7 blades. I believe they were packaged in a set with a 144UH, and were coined the Dixie Series. Etched with different states. Well something like that, without digging into old posts. Too lazy for it tonight, but this topic has been hashed over a few times.
I have dated this knife back to 1978 (Dixie Collection, Sothern States)

Back