Leather Back Pocket Protector by Ron Ryder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
In the past I've used several of Ron Ryder's economical and effective little slip cases for occasional carry of my better custom slipjoints. I've had Ron make them in both his standard size as well as a slightly taller and wider size for me.

At the low price it was easy to experiment to find what worked best.

However, in recent months with markedly increased pressure not to carry knives in purses brought to bear by one Tony Bose and his evil minions, I found myself in quite a pickle in terms of both satisfying my allegiance to Tony and my own preferences for pocket knife carry. ;)

The Issues

Notwithstanding Tony's admonition that carrying a knife in a purse or similar conveyance was girly and beneath contempt, I have my own issues when it comes to carrying a slipjoint in my pocket:

1. I hate when the knife flops over from a vertical position as I don't carry my pocketknife in the same rear pocket as my wallet. (In fact, I often don't carry a wallet at all during the day.)

2. I dislike wearing premature holes in the pockets of my jeans.

The Solution

I asked Ron Ryder to create a leather pocket liner or protector based upon the back pocket of an average pair of jeans. Something that would allow a knife to be inserted or withdrawn easily without having to take a sheath (dare I say purse?) from the pocket and which would provide protection for both knife and pants.

Yesterday, I received an envelope from Ron containing two prototype flat leather pocket liners.

The small version is 3 3/8" x 4 5/8"
The large version is 3 3/4" x 5 1/4"

After a bit of usage, here are the pluses as I see them:

Your pants pocket(s) will last longer
(Works in both front and back pockets.)

Your knife will be protected from abrasion and from foreign objects in the pocket (dirt, lint, coins etc)

The knife stands up vertically in the pocket (without falling over horizontally)

You can retrieve, use and replace the knife from and back to your pocket without having to pull out and fumble with a knife purse :eek:

The knife doesn't "print" in the pocket

The knife will be more comfortable to sit on as the protector more evenly distributes the pressure point

And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the protector may provide a loophole negating the requirement to carry Bose Knives Legal Department's BK-Form-100a, Girly Knife-Purse Waiver
;) :cool: :thumbup:

attachment.php

For those interested, Ron Ryder can be contacted via his website www.cuttersandcollectors.com or via email at rgeeryder@cuttersandcollectors.com

Attachments

• Ryder BackPocket.jpg
    Ryder BackPocket.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,545
Last edited:
That's a very cool :cool: idea Blues. It looks like a bonified loophole in the conundrum of carry.

Oh, and Ron does nice work for sure.

Bill

Elliott, do they come in hot pink with lace trim??? :p

Seriously though, that looks like a great idea, and I'm pretty sure that the unlawful firm of Robuck, fewpop, and Thomason can get you the loophole waiver on the Girly-Knife Purse issue. The waiver, however, stipulates that the legatee cease and desist leg shaving. If this is an issue, please do not apply for the waiver. :D ;) :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

(Nothing like having a team of legal eagles to back your play. :eek: ;) )

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

(Nothing like having a team of legal eagles to back your play. :eek: ;) )

Actually the term "legal beagles" might be more appropriate, as we like to think of ourselves as "Lawdogs and Coderovers." ;)

For some reason Blues only showed the back side of the pocket protector in his picture. I though you guys might like to see the front side. :D

purse.jpg

Blues, (ahem)...do the demo knives come with the protectors if I was to use you as an intermediary?:rolleyes:
BTW, good job! I like 'em!:thumbup:

Pretty cool. . . . from a non-man purse, non-girly, above contempt sorta way. :D

Actually the term "legal beagles" might be more appropriate, as we like to think of ourselves as "Lawdogs"... ;)

movieike.jpg

Listen Mr. Kansas Lawdog...The law don't go around here...Savvy?

For some reason Blues only showed the back side of the pocket protector in his picture. I though you guys might like to see the front side. :D

Rob, you mixed that shot up with my Depends underwear protector.
They both work great! :eek: ;) :p

Coderovers don't need no stinkin' badges, we sniff most any trail, and chase most any tail! :cool: :D

Thus the "Back Pocket Protector" and the "Depends". See how things have a way of going full circle? :p ;)

"Lawdogs".....Hmmmmm.

Some of us are real "Wolves." :)

You know...in CASE you have to go to trial over the Man-Purse thing. :eek:

The Wolf(e)

"Lawdogs".....Hmmmmm.

Some of us are real "Wolves." :)

You know...in CASE you have to go to trial over the Man-Purse thing. :eek:

The Wolf(e)

I ain't worried none. They ain't got a schrade of evidence.
Ya think the judge'll have his robeson?

(And so concludes the bad pun portion of our thread. :p )

Thus the "Back Pocket Protector" and the "Depends". See how things have a way of going full circle? :p ;)

LMAO !! The best moderators always have a way to tie loose threads together. :thumbup: :cool:

After a bit of usage, here are the pluses as I see them:

Your pants pocket(s) will last longer
(The smaller of the two can be used in the front pocket if desired)

Your knife will be protected from abrasion and from foreign objects in the pocket (dirt, lint, coins etc)

The knife stands up vertically in the pocket (without falling over horizontally)

You can retrieve, use and replace the knife from and back to your pocket without having to pull out and fumble with a knife purse :eek:

The knife doesn't "print" in the pocket

The knife will be more comfortable to sit on as the protector more evenly distributes the pressure point

And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the protector may provide a loophole negating the requirement to carry Bose Knives Legal Department's BK-Form-100a, Girly Knife-Purse Waiver
;) :cool: :thumbup:

attachment.php

For those interested, Ron Ryder can be contacted via his website www.cuttersandcollectors.com or via email at rgeeryder@cuttersandcollectors.com

Nice list of pluses Elliott, but I don't think it will work. :D
We will see what happens when Tony gets back from Orlando. I think we all know the answer. ;)
It was a good effort, though.

- Joe

Joe,

I'm afraid you may be right but if nothing else it helps support the work of a good guy like Ron Ryder, it's well worth the grief I'm about to get. ;) :eek: :p

Great idea Blues.
(MIght have considered not posting it here though) :D.

Can't wait to see what Tony and Kerry will post, but incoming might be the word. ;).

Hum, I really like that idea of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back