Leather Care for Your JouFuu Sheaths

Of course this topic can apply to a wide range of your leather goods, but I am curious what you all use for keeping your sheaths in top shape. I have been an Obenauf's leather oil guy for years (LP on boots), but I'm a little worried about it darkening some of the ornate carvings on Bonafide's work.

Please weigh in and thanks for making this a great community here.

I wipe down my personal use sheaths with plain water to clean them - let them fully dry.
If they're not that dirty .. I'll just buff them with a shoe brush.
The 'oiled' ones are given a coat of 100% neetsfoot and then light coat of Mink Oil that I wipe down with a clean micro-cloth.
The shiny ones; wiped down, brush buffed, and then given a coat of Atom Wax - let it dry, then buff with a brush.
You can use 100% neetsfoot on your shiny sheaths ... it will only diminish some of the shine.

Dont let your sheath stay wet/damp .. it will mold and rot - and - if you leave your O1 steel Fiddleback stored inside a damp sheath then it will be rusty.

I wipe down my personal use sheaths with plain water to clean them - let them fully dry.
If they're not that dirty .. I'll just buff them with a shoe brush.
The 'oiled' ones are given a coat of 100% neetsfoot and then light coat of Mink Oil that I wipe down with a clean micro-cloth.
The shiny ones; wiped down, brush buffed, and then given a coat of Atom Wax - let it dry, then buff with a brush.
You can use 100% neetsfoot on your shiny sheaths ... it will only diminish some of the shine.

Dont let your sheath stay wet/damp .. it will mold and rot - and - if you leave your O1 steel Fiddleback stored inside a damp sheath then it will be rusty.

Hard to argue with how they look coming from your workshop. Thank you for the detailed rundown!

Thanks for his Bud, Are you using mink oil Paste or their oil, (which i see contains Neatsfoot oil)?

Thanks for his Bud, Are you using mink oil Paste or their oil, (which i see contains Neatsfoot oil)?

Paste. Can't remember the brand, but I'll follow up later.

Tom .. I use Kiwi Camp Dry Mink Oil (paste), which seems to be 100% Mink Oil - not a blend.

Back