Leather care products

Dwayne what products do you recommend for keeping your sheaths in good condition and water resistant?

There's actually a somewhat large array of products that work really well in their particular realm

Sno Seal is great for areas where the leather is going to get wet, a lot, and not dried quickly

Fiebings has a product called Aussie Leather Conditioner that is great as well, main ingredient is beeswax and oil.

Fiebings also makes a very liquid product called Leather Balm with Atom Wax. It penetrates deep and leaves a nice luster that lasts well. Several of my hard use sheaths have it and they've held up very well with none of that oily feel that leather gets when its over treated.

Simple Neatsfoot oil is a good product (AVOID neatsfoot oil Compound, its bad news) But use is sparingly, too much can make for a floppy leather sheath.

I used to use mink oil, but its not as good as it once was, now its more chemical than real oil

If your a naturalist, make your own beeswax and oil mix, some put pine tar in that as well and tell me its fantastic. I've yet to try it but I really want to make some someday. There are as many recipes as there are outdoorsmen. I do like the nice mellow look of a wax and oil treated leather piece.

Back