leather handle question

A Randall owner stated in another thread he prefered micarta instead of leather because the leather is not durable for a hard user knife. As I understand the Randal leather is epoxy impregnated therefore, it does not absorb water and is very tough. Is this correct or will teh leather deteriorate much faster than micarta ?

Thank you

Martin

I guess it depends on what type of abuse you intend encounter. I don't submerge my knives constantly in water, try to set fire to them, or beat them against hard objects. For normal use I'm sure the leather handles will outlast me. Yes, the leather will require some periodic waxing of some sort. If you really anticipate use in hostile environments (jungle, extreme cold or heat, salt water) then perhaps micarta may be the better choice. I have both and personally prefer the leather handles - just feels better to me.

Loki, thank you for your reply. I have held some randalls and I prefer the leather too. But is it your impression that they would become altered by exposure to water or humidity ? Becuase if they are empregnated by epoxy shouldn't they be impervious to absorbing moisture (similar to stabilized wood )? That is what is unclear to me.

Thank you

Martin

..Like you and Loki, we prefer stacked leather handles. We have 50 some-odd RMK's, primarily leather handled models.

Some of these are older, 60's vintage RMK's, mostly used...and no adverse effects are shown to the leather handles of those knives, from normal usage.

It's a judgement call. For normal usage, I'm of the opinion that leather will work fine for you.

But, if you are unsure of what your intended use will be, or if you have 'just got to be certain', then buy Micarta...more leather handled RMK's will be available for us to buy that way...lol ;)

Mel

Martin:

I don't worry about the hard leather handles degrading through normal use. Normal variations in humidity ot temp shouldn't bother them. Leather is an organic material and needs to be cared for if exposed to elements for extended periods of time. They will darken over time with use but that's ok by me.

Loki and Melvin-Purvis,

Thanks for your clarifications, they help alot. I would like to acquire a Randal and " join the club" sometime .

Martin

The leather in the handles of RMKs is not epoxy impergnated. The leather washers are pressed under a lot of pressure to compact the fibers and make the leather harder. They are then glued together in a stack to form the handles on the tang and ground into shape. The handle is then polished up with some waxes to seal it up and give it a gloss.
Leather can dry out with age and or repeated soakings in water to the point where it will become loose. That is why a leather handle will always have the exposed nut, so it can be tightened.
With proper care a leather handle will last a life time. Usually a leather handle will pick up the natural oils from your hands sufficiently to keep it in good shape. A light coat of leather wax every couple of years will help to keep the water from penetrating quickly if you get it wet. Greg

Good to see ya posting again buddy!

I was thinking about you today...hell, just a few hours ago...

I was 'working late', thought I had the place to myself, popped in that Charlie Daniel's CD ya burned for me, and cranked up 'Long haired country boy'...lol

OMFG, folks came outta the woodworks, and they were all diggin' the music. :)

Thanks again Greg! Man, if I had a few more friends like you, I'd be set for life... :D

Hope all is well with you, the family, kids, and that round face bundle of joy... ;)

Buds,

Sheldon

Thank you Greg, that clarifies tremendously, very ingenious construction.
Again I am interested in a Randall and appreciate the good, friendly information available here.

Regards,

Martin

Hmm, so leather handles are quite good...
Guys, please tell me one thing. Let's say I have a #1 with micarta on order from Randall for 2004, wanted to get leather but was worried about it needing too much care. Now I see it's not exactly the case. I wonder if I can ask them to change from micarta to leather?

Just a quick note, I had two Randalls with handles that "shrunk", and had to have the tang nut tighted. One broke while trying to do this [at the shop as amatter of fact]. The other I managed to tighten down myself. If you use your Randall alot I would go for linen micarta.:)

The different handle materials offered by RMK and throughout the knife world these days add much to the pleasure of collecting and using "man's oldest tool". Of course I can't say enough about stag, wood and other natural (non-leather) materials. Regarding a stacked leather handle, I agree, it is a wonderful handle material but I have personally observed how, over time and with use,scratches/cuts/gouges appear, dirt and skin oils, sunscreen, insecticide and food prep/cooking stains appear and become sealed in the leather when protection treated. This can add great character to the knife but the owner/user must accept the dynamic leather qualities. This is where micarta shines; tough, stable, beautiful, dependable, can be sculpted and is virtually impervious to all the things that affect leather. The RMK I own with a micarta handle is the #16 Diver's Knife, a good sized tough as nails utility/survival/combat-ready knife that will withstand just about anything including salt water.
Micarta is probably the only handle material that even makes sense in this application and, to my mind, the one handle material with the equivalent of a "no regrets" guarantee built in!

Originally posted by flava
Hmm, so leather handles are quite good...
Guys, please tell me one thing. Let's say I have a #1 with micarta on order from Randall for 2004, wanted to get leather but was worried about it needing too much care. Now I see it's not exactly the case. I wonder if I can ask them to change from micarta to leather?

Up until the time that they actuall start work on your particular knife you can make changes in the specs you have specified. Once they begin work it is etched in stone as the saying goes. Greg

Yep, my confirmation letter says to hold "change order requests" until 3 months prior to ship date. CORs must be in writing.

Justin

Back