Leather Knives......

Yes, thanks Old Biker for posting pix.

Horeswright,
Yes, back in the day worked US and NA/ME oilfields. Opened a service center in Farmington NM and discovered the San Juan river. Got to get back there again some day soon. Best trout waters i have ever fished.

Agree, brass bolster unnecessary. Do believe the subtle curve of handle is necessary for proper ergonomics. Main usage would be cutting out card pockets, t-slots, gussets, etc.
Unfortunately i don't have dimensions. Nigel of Armitage Leather fame in the UK produced a video demonstrating the knife in action if it helps.

Can you work up a design and email me a quote?

Thanks,
James

Yes I can. But, better yet, you draw out what you want and I can build that. That way we can get the handle curve exactly how you would like it. Best way is to transfer your drawing onto a paint stirring stick. They are easy to cut out and shape and so ya can take a little bit off at a time and get that handle just right for you.

Dave,
Did not intend to over-think the handle shape. At this time I use either a blanchard indispensable w/ custom D2 blade or japanese blue steel utility blade for work i can't apply my round knife to.

A simple ~5" handle w/ tear drop or just straight w/gentle palm swell shape would improve on these tools. I'm right handed and envision a grip with forefinger on top of or along side of the blade.

Unfortunately business has come up and will be in/out over next few days.

Thanks, James

Yep just draw er out and send er to me when ya get a chance.

Okay, so a silly newbie question if I could. I've been using a simple utility knife for years to cut leather for pretty much everything I do. I haven't done much skiving but when I have I use a Tandy super skiver. Can you folks tell me why a round knife is better and one of these skivers is better. I'm quite sure they are because I've noted that pretty much every serious leatherworker uses them I was just hoping for some insight.

Thanks!

Well, if you have been using a utility knife "for years" the that brings into question "newbie", but i digress.

You almost answered your own question. Serious professional leather craftsmen

almost all use a round knife and in many cases a dedicated straight flexible blade for skiving.

There is a short learning curve for using each of the knives, but after that there is no comparison.

Cutting with the round knife is nearly 100% push cut which is much easier, much more precise,

and much less ragged than the pull cuts of a utility knife. The rocking motion cut with a round

knife will go through even the toughest leather is one pass, not so with utility knife.

Since most of us old hands also started with a utility type knife and now have been

using the round knife for years that kind of indicates we think the round knife and skiving knife is far better.

Well, if you have been using a utility knife "for years" the that brings into question "newbie", but i digress.

You almost answered your own question. Serious professional leather craftsmen

almost all use a round knife and in many cases a dedicated straight flexible blade for skiving.

There is a short learning curve for using each of the knives, but after that there is no comparison.

Cutting with the round knife is nearly 100% push cut which is much easier, much more precise,

and much less ragged than the pull cuts of a utility knife. The rocking motion cut with a round

knife will go through even the toughest leather is one pass, not so with utility knife.

Since most of us old hands also started with a utility type knife and now have been

using the round knife for years that kind of indicates we think the round knife and skiving knife is far better.

Thanks for the insight. By "newbie" I meant as part of this Subforum. I have been working with leather for quite some time, but mostly in a set of fairly repetitive applications. It's only recently that prompted by a customer I tried something more than cutting straight lines or fairly basic geometrical stamping. I am also branching out a bit in terms of dyes and finishes, trying to find what works best, and provides the most quality look. I digress. You make the round knife sound pretty appealing. It's a royal pain having to make multiple passes when cutting out a belt or other strapping. I will have a look at your website at the round knives again.

Roundknives are the one tool on my workbench that are never put away. In fact I generally have 3 out and about strategically positioned so I can grab em from any side of the bench. The round knife also allows ya to cut curves very well whereas a utility knife struggles with that.

For cutting belt straps ya want this little gizmo:

https://tandyleather.com/products/craftool-strap-cutter?_pos=1&_sid=82e1e1aac&_ss=r

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whoever invented it should be on the beach in Cancun sipping margaritas, permanently.

Here's a couple little videos. One on a roundknife and one on a push skiver:

https://www.instagram.com/horsewrightclothing/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByG368alGVn/

Just made eight round knives in my last batch:

0g2cbIh.jpg

All are spoken for but one. They all get tested for sharpness after sharpening. This is 10 oz saddle leather. This one is going to a saddlemaker in Australia:

ubF1t9i.jpg

Starting on their sheaths today.

Last edited:
Dave, all those knives are beautiful.
Question - what would the knives in the bottom be used for, are they capers?
Pardon my ignorance.

Mike

Last edited:
Dave, all those knives are beautiful.
Question - what would the knives in the bottom be used for, are they capers?
Pardon my ignorance.

Mike

Thanks! From left to right: Competition Carver (meat slicing), Paisano, Cwoboy Toothpick, Vaquero, Cowboy Toothpick, Paisano, Cowboy, Vaquero, Cowboy, Cowboy, Coyote, Vaquero, Cowboy, Coyote, Sonoran Belt Knife, Vaquero, Coyote, Sonoran Belt Knife, Rodeo, Paisano. Uses: EDC, hunting, fishing, cowboying.

Thanks! From left to right: Competition Carver (meat slicing), Paisano, Cwoboy Toothpick, Vaquero, Cowboy Toothpick, Paisano, Cowboy, Vaquero, Cowboy, Cowboy, Coyote, Vaquero, Cowboy, Coyote, Sonoran Belt Knife, Vaquero, Coyote, Sonoran Belt Knife, Rodeo, Paisano. Uses: EDC, hunting, fishing, cowboying.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the description. Again, those are really good looking knives.
It is really decent of you to share info like this.

Mike

Back