Leather Sap for Defense?

Talking about the 16" ASP baton got me thinking about leather saps. Does anyone carry one of these for defense? I understand that, for their compact size, they can be used to strike w/ a great amount of force. What targets (i.e. parts of the body)would you recommend for striking? Surely there's more to it than just "bop 'em on the head." What are your thoughts on this?

Considering that they're more than likely a felony merely to possess in most jurisdictions, I doubt you'll get many takers here.

Most (former) sap users I've read about or spoken to do indeed "smack 'em in the head." Fact is, there aren't that many targets that a sap is that useful for.

The most recent one I spoke with was a tactical instructor who does some protective work, which is when he most uses a sap, as a means of getting an aggressive person to let go of his principal in a painful but low-key (and below eye line) manner to defeat the grab and keep the principal moving.
If you're absolutely determined to try it, go for areas that are thinly padded and bony.

I tried to reply earlier, don't know what happened. Anyway one target area for a sap is the collar bone. I have seem them used. Very effective. Eda is right though VERY illegal.

Not exactly sure what a "leather sap" is. Would a sock full of pennies have the same effect?

Originally posted by kh21106
I tried to reply earlier, don't know what happened. Anyway one target area for a sap is the collar bone. I have seem them used. Very effective. Eda is right though VERY illegal.

Check your local laws. As far as I know saps are not illegal here in Canada.

The US is very strange to me that in many places it is quite legal, and possible for ordinary citizens, to get a concealed carry permit for a firearm but a club is completely illegal to carry as a weapon, ie: in Texas.

Pierre

RD: Try this one--in CA (AFAIK) it's still a misdemeanor (state law) to carry concealed w/o a permit, but a felony merely to have, say, a police PR24.

The argument I've gotten for this disparity is that the gun has utility beyond mere "interpersonal conflict" meaning you can target shoot with it or hunt (depending on caliber/game), but the baton or (insert other cool item prohibited by 12020 PC here) has no other use.

I detest such nonsense. Oddly, though, I understand how some bureaucrat formulated this viewpoint...my sanity must be in jeopardy.

eda-koppo:

Thanks for the crazy CA laws. If there's one place in the US with stranger weapon's laws than Canada, it's California.

As for Canada, you can have any weapon you wish as long as it is not a Firearm, Restricted, or Prohibited, but you can't conceal it (although the definition of concealed is, as always, rather murky) or bring it to a "public meeting". The definition of "public meeting" is also undefined.

AFAIK it is perfectly legal to walk around with a sheathed katana (unsheathed would be "brandishing") as long as you don't hide it.

A leather sap, likewise, is legal within certain parameters.

It really does pay to be aware of your local laws.

Pierre

my high school physics teachers father(who used to be a golden gloves boxer, but not at the time it happened) smacked some BG over the head with one a really long time ago(when they were still legal) my teacher said it crushed the BGs skull, now thats effective!:eek:

Catalogs for avid readers sell a "book weight" (designed to hold a book's pages open) that is basically a double-ended flat sap. A former girlfriend carries one in her backpack when she schleps books around. She has no clue of the tactical application, nor does she care to.

The book weights are useful in a pinch but a little floppy for tactical use--likely to bounce back on your hand if swung with any real force.

Back