Leather stacked handles and wet conditions??

I live in the south its always wet and humid also I live right next to a 103 acre swamp plus I do a lot of fishing, so its just a matter of time before my MK1 takes a dunk or ends up getting soaked from wading. How will the leather handle hold up to constantly getting wet?

They held up well in Viet Nam.....and everywhere else from the equator to the arctic........

For conditions as humid as you are saying, I would suggest the Kraton handles if you get one. Kraton is impervious to water and humidity. If you do insist on leather, find yourself a good leather sealant or wax, and it shouldn't be affected by humidity at all.

I would say get the kraton version, but then again, the predecessors to the navy SEALs dove with em, and they killed a lot of viet cong in Nam, so I'm split.

if you like the leather better just slather it with snowseal and hit it with a hair dryer and it will be fine unless you are submerging it on a regular basis.
I prefer the feel of the leather handle hands down over the kraton.

Just plain old Kabar handles have been used from Panama, Iwo Jima, to the desert. You're good to go just about anywhere. I've had mine in the Atlantic, Pacific, and tons of fresh and brackish water in between. They just come out cleaner.

You're good to go, with or without seatlant.

Moose

Thanks guys! my mk1 is so nice i almost hate to use it, but its cooling off here so its time to get it dirty and see how it performs:D

Thanks guys! my mk1 is so nice i almost hate to use it, but its cooling off here so its time to get it dirty and see how it performs:D

Be sure and let us know how it does, I'm lovin' the ones I got, and for the size, they do some really big work.

Moose

I just bought the Kraton version, not long ago (finally became available near my place).
It feels real good in the hand (a bit handle heavy though...), looks nice and it is sized well for most camp/bushcraft/utility use.
I imagine the leather handled version is just about the same, except for the looks.

102_0377.JPG

I would say get the kraton version, but then again, the predecessors to the navy SEALs dove with em, and they killed a lot of viet cong in Nam, so I'm split.

They also noted that the sheaths rotted and these were essentially disposable knives. Constantly getting wet? Not too well. A dunk here or there? probably just fine.

I recently washed my MK 1 after using it to gut a deer and the handle dried out really badly. It took at least a dozen coats of leather cream (with natural oils and bees wax) to get it back to anything close to the factory finish. I love the leather handle, but I'll be getting some snow seal before I get it wet again. Over time, I believe the leather does seal from exposure to the oils in you hands, but new ones seem pretty vulnerable. Just something to think about.

They also noted that the sheaths rotted and these were essentially disposable knives. Constantly getting wet? Not too well. A dunk here or there? probably just fine.
True, very true... I guess I'm siding a little more on the kraton side now, but I still love my leather 1217 USMC.

Back