Leather vs. Kydex

Are the differences between the two purely based on aesthetic reasons or are there areas where the two compare and contrast? Please help me out I am deciding what to get for my BK2.

I see Kydex as a utilitarian material like g10 scales. That's not to say that it can't be stunning, in the right hands it sure can be. Its main benefits are that it is impervious to most common substances, and it can also be made very low profile and lightweight.

Leather, I see as a luxurious material, more likely coupled with burl wood scales, damascus and the like. Its main benefits are that it's soft, warm, quiet, it usually smells good and, done correctly, very durable.

A lot of the above is subjective, preferences vary from person to person. What cannot be argued is that Kydex will hold up better in crappy conditions. Similarly, it cannot be argued that leather isn't just plain better. :p :D

I see Kydex as a utilitarian material like g10 scales. That's not to say that it can't be stunning, in the right hands it sure can be. Its main benefits are that it is impervious to most common substances, and it can also be made very low profile and lightweight.

Leather, I see as a luxurious material, more likely coupled with burl wood scales, damascus and the like. Its main benefits are that it's soft, warm, quiet, it usually smells good and, done correctly, very durable.

A lot of the above is subjective, preferences vary from person to person. What cannot be argued is that Kydex will hold up better in crappy conditions. Similarly, it cannot be argued that leather isn't just plain better. :p :D

Thank you very much Strigamort!

I have both kydex and leather for all but a couple of my fixed blades.

Its hard to beat kydex, for some of the reasons already mentioned, but I like the looks and feel of leather better.

I much prefer leather. I prefer having my knife sit a little lower on my right side. Also with leather, it can be used to make some beautiful sheaths. Certain kydex attachments can remedy that, but most of them will have them sit too high for my liking. Sometimes, I don't need to have that click when I take my knife out either. Although, I will have to admit that you can't compare the longevity of kydex to leather.

Kydex can leave scratches on a nice finish, leather should not. For retention kydex will usually be superior since the form fitting plastic keeps it in place. I prefer leather myself though.

Extream cold (think arctic)favours leather while extreamly hot and muggy (think jungle) favours kydex. both can be done well or poorly andboth can be found cheap or expensive. I have , make and use both.

Tactically, leather is silent compared to what is considered "tactical" by most. I make an effort to have leather sheathed knives if I can, and if I can't, I wrap any plastics and such with cloth to quiet them. Seems there's always one piece of kit that rubs, knocks, or rattles on some hard surface of something. Plus that, leather smells nicer.

My $.02, from my experience.

I prefer kydex.

It's water proof without any treatments, its chemical resistant, it offers improved protection from penetration. It withstands my employment of a knife better(harsh enviornments)

The military doesn't use leather for anything anymore, so there are no maintenace materials for leather that are easily accessible, and long stints in the desert are very bad for leather. Kydex doesn't require any maintenance beyond some water to rinse it out.

I don't mind that kydex scratches, the knives I currently have are all tools that get used and will therefore get scratched anyway.

the downsides to kydex as I see them;
appearance(for some, I like for my knives because all my knives are strictly tools)
noise, from stuff rubbing against it to withdrawing the knife, kydex is noisy.
exposure to extreme sunlight and heat, I had a kydex sheath loose retention in Iraq from the summer sun beating on it.

So, when using kydex in the desert I recommend covering it with something. Wether thats wearing it IWB, or applying burlap or cordura to the exterior there needs to be some sort of buffer from the sun. This also helps eliminate the niose from stuff brushing against the kydex.

My experience with leather has been that it bleeds stain when it gets hot and wet, holds moisture against metal encouraging corrosion, and stretches. Leather also traps dust and dirt which can scratch a blade just as badly as kydex.

"Kydex scratches" are minimized with proper design and construction of the sheath (I make the blade float in the sheath, which grabs onto the handle material instead). Water drains out around the blade, minimizing rust. I have 10 year old kydex sheaths, used constantly, that look like they did when new.

I see no reason, other than nostalgia, to use leather for anything but boots.

Leather doesn't have to bleed color. Choose either a natural finish, or ask for leather dyed at the tannery. Acrylic finishes can also keep the dye from bleeding, and help with water resistance. A drain hole is easily employed, but the interior will still absorb water in my experience.

As far as weight goes, even my large dangler sheath with metal hardware is extreamly light weight. I doubt a couple of ounces (if that) will be noticeable for anyone not cutting the handle of their toothbrush (extreme climbing for example).

I dig Kydex a lot. I have some that I'm going to start playing with, but from my standpoint it'll never replace leather. Maintenance is really easy. If you can maintain a carbon steel blade, or care for your other gear at all, you can maintain leather. :)

Some occupations in the Canadian Armed Forces are still issued leather sheathed Grohmann belt knives, with, yes- leather sheaths. They are silent, and safe. We do have other knives and tools issued that are Kydex- sheathed, but there is still leather in some military forces.

I throw kydex sheaths away. I don't like anything about them other than they give me a chance to constantly sharpen my knife. Leather is easier, and in my opinion safer to draw from. As far as how long leather lasts well I still have my great grandfather's Colt SAA leather holster and granted it's been beat to death but hey you spend 3 generations bouncing around Texas and I bet you look a little tired to lol. Like I was always told take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

My experience with leather has been that it bleeds stain when it gets hot and wet, holds moisture against metal encouraging corrosion, and stretches. Leather also traps dust and dirt which can scratch a blade just as badly as kydex.

"Kydex scratches" are minimized with proper design and construction of the sheath (I make the blade float in the sheath, which grabs onto the handle material instead). Water drains out around the blade, minimizing rust. I have 10 year old kydex sheaths, used constantly, that look like they did when new.

I see no reason, other than nostalgia, to use leather for anything but boots.
+1

I make knives and I consider them a luxery product. I take the effort (and pride) to make something beautifull.
To my taste only a good looking leather sheat is fitting for these kind of knives.

I tend to favor leather mostly because I like the silent nature of them compared to plastic sheaths, kydex, nylon, carbon fiber, etc. Functionally, kydex is easier to clean and is water proof. I haven't been in such a dirty environment where this is a problem but leather can hold onto dirty which can mar up blades. Kydex kind of does that on it's own in some cases.

As long as a sheath fits well and there is a nice sized target or re-sheathing, I'm usually happy but the preference for the silence of leather is preferred and usually what I will buy if getting something aftermarket. Some of the kydex sheaths with leather loops are neat as it kind of silences the plastic and gets the retention of the plastic in a combined package which is pleasing as a bit of an in-between compromise.

Almost every fixed blade I have goes into leather. I have a couple of ballistic nylon sheaths for bigger knives, and only one kydex sheath that I use, for my Livesay RTAK. I got a kydex sheath with my TOPS Skinat, but I hate it and I won't carry it. I do have a leather pouch on order.

I'm also NOT a fan of metal clips on a sheath, give me an old-fashioned belt loop any day!

Back