Leatherman Juice: Will it replace your full-size multitool?

Sounds like a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the Leatherman Juice. I know I am. My question is, if you get one, do you think it will replace your fullsize multitool, be it a Wave, Pulse, Swisstool, Multiplier, or other???

Personally, I would at least consider it. I use the pliers most on my Pulse, and the file second most. I also carry a Cybertool 29 and use the screwdrivers on it most often. So, a Juice and the Cybertool would still have the bases covered, though I am not sure if the file on the Juice is good for anything other than fingernails.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

So does the Juice have locking blades? I would use it all the time since it is smaller and lighter than the Pulse.

Brock

I may replace my Supertool with the new Supertool 200. It looks the best fit for my usage pattern.

AJ

Brock -- Don't know about locking -- but I will find out...

AJ -- I agree. The Supertool 200 will be the ultimate outdoor/hard use full-size tool (I would rather carry a Micra in addition to the Supertool that have the lame Pulse scissors). I love the long screwdrivers. Hard to think of anything better. Now would they hurry up and put it out already!!!

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I got a Juice brochure mailed from Leatherman. The two bits of info that they leave out are A) do the blades lock or not? (I can't imagine they do, or it would say so.) And B) how much do they weigh? I'm wondering if a Juice model won't replace both my Wave and any number of pocket-sized SAKs.

I bet they don't lock. Most people don't care about locking tools and many that do don't care about them on a mini-tool like this one (obviously knife knuts are exceptions!)

And as mnblade said -- if they locked, Leatherman would probably market it!

I think it still might replace my Pulse and complement my Cybertool.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the blades do not lock, but rather stay in place very well with a decent amount of force needed to close them from the fully open position. Try as I might, I cannot locate where I read this.

The weight of the Juice tools is listed on the Leatherman site. If you go to "Our Products" from the drop-down menu at the top of the homepage, a Leatherman Juice pop-up will appear that lets you tour the new models. The smallest model (red) weighs 4.3 ounces, while the largest model (purple) weighs 6.8 ounces.

I plan on carrying a Juice tool in my pocket as an everyday carry along with a BM705S. As of now I barely ever carry my Wave or PST II because of its size and I really do not care for using the sheath on a daily basis. I think I will purchase both the Orange and the Purple Juice models and pick one or the other depending on the day.

The Juice models appear to be just fantastic. I emailed them and they said that they would be out in the fall, but I have heard rumblings lately that they may be out sooner. Does anyone have any information to back this up? I can't wait to get my hands on them
smile.gif

Bucky

[This message has been edited by Bucky (edited 03-28-2001).]

How does everyone else feel about carrying a Juice tool in their pocket instead of another Leatherman tool on their belt? Do you feel pocket carry is an advantage? Do you mind having a LM on your belt? Does anyone carry a regular LM right now in their pocket instead of in the sheath?

Thanks,

Bucky

For me this will be similar to the Surefire D2 vs the Surefire E2. I used to only carry the D2 when I was at work now I carry the E2 all the time because it is smaller and more comfortable to carry. I imagine I will carry a Juice all the time instead of only carrying my Pulse at work. It would be a lot handier. It is also almost 2 oz lighter, another big plus. I like to carry handy items, but don't like to be too obtrusive about it.

Brock

Though I'm an old traditionalist with a soft spot in my heart for old-style pocketknives and SAKs, I gotta say, with a November birthday coming up and a fall release date from Leatherman, I just may be toting a Juice from then on! I do have a Wave model and love it, but I rarely carry it with me (I use it around the apartment all the time, and wear it on the belt when fishing or camping). I just prefer pocket carry over toting anything on a belt sheath. I think the Juice is going to make a BIG splash (sorry for the lame pun). Once again, Leatherman pushes the industry forward and all the other companies will get in line and follow.

My belt actually has more room than my pockets.

Belt: pager, mobile phone
Pockets: wallet, home keys, work keys with Cybertool 29, small sebenza, E1 (and maybe an E2 soon) and money (not usually a big issue
wink.gif
). Occasionally, My PalmV rides in there on days like today when I wear a shirt without a breast pocket.

I do carry the Pulse everyday, as I did the Wave before it. The Wave was teh first Multi-tool I didn't get tired of carrying. Nonetheless, a smaller tool would be a welcome addition for everyday carry. Not sure where I would put it, but it would definitely rock to have something smaller.

Anyone ever use the little bucktool that was about the size of a Micra but had pliers? Were they any good? Didn't look that great to me, but I think the Juice will take that concept to its best end.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I'm really looking forward to the Juice line, locking blades or not. What I really would like is to see them offered in clear annodizing, especially if they are meant for pocket carry. I hate annodized stuff that gets all scratched up. My Micra looks really good after a few years riding in my pocket with my keys. The little scuffs on my Sebenza blend in and add character. To me a purple/orange/yellow/etc Leatherman is just going to look scratched up. It's not a major issue, but I'd still like to see plain offered. I'm sure I'll end up with one anyway.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

I just found a cool article on the <a href="http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/011701/out_011701out0020001.shtml">Juice</a>.

Great article.

"And Leatherman fans are so loyal, they buy masses of nearly every update to the traditional Leatherman line."

Yeah, so?

Lets face it, we are all knife people first and foremost, and I tend to think that we are also(at least I am) gadget people too. I love SAKs and leatherman tools. One or the other usually fits in with the the EDC knife that is in all our pockets. Am i wrong? An SAK sized tool with pliers is definitely welcome for me, though Id personally appreciate the standard leatherman coloring scheme. Im thinking the Thunder looks good, but not sure Purple fits ME! Point is Leatherman is in business to make money, and I respect that, but I do wonder if their "loyal" fan-base will continue as far as the Juice-line is concerned. Will i purchase one? Yes, Im sure I will, but then again Im hooked on gadgets and can reason the logic of buying another multitool. Most people outside these forums will not be so free with their money.

Actually, the Juice line is geared toward the non-gadgety people, i.e., not us. Much like the Micra it is for your Mom and other people who would never carry a Supertool on their belt. It will be interesting to see how popular the Juice line will be with the knife knuts. I will get one, if only because a smaller tool means more room for other gadgets...

wink.gif

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Back