Leatherman MUT or SuperTool, or....?

If you knew someone in the military and had a choice between giving them a LM MUT or a LM SuperTool, what would be your choice? (Feedback from anyone who owns either is greatly appreciated.) I'm looking for a multi-tool for a Combat Engineer, so the multitool has to be EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) specific, which includes a C4 Punch, wire tools, maybe M4/AR15/M16 tools.

Here are my views so far:
Leatherman MUT EOD:

Pros: Tools are easily accessible (Glove Friendly), lighter, includes weapon tools, it has a hammer :)cool:)
Cons: Has a tendency to pinch the hands, a little delicate, EXPENSIVE, nearly 60+ dollars more than SuperTool

Leatherman SuperTool 300 EOD:

Pros: More rugged, not as flimsy, better grip
Cons: You have to open the multi-tool in order to access the tools (A no-no for time dependent emergency breaches), heavier, blade shape does not seem as good as the one on the MUT.

I've heard there are other EOD specific multi-tools made by other manufacturers, if you have any other suggestions please feel free to suggest :)

Last edited:
MUT EOD would be my choice. One hand opening saw and knife blade. EOD specific tools, and has a few handy tools for the M16 family of weapons.

Either would be an excellent choice, but I think the MUT has the Supertool beat in the same way the Wave has the PST beat.

For that application, the MUT. While I pack a Supertool most days at work, but MUT is anything but delicate. It weighs as much if not more than the ST. The only thing that I really don't like about it is that it can be a little easy to lose the bits.

That said, having the availability to customize my bit loadout on board the tool is awesome. I keep the standard flat/philips on one long side, an allen that fits the full length guide rod on my 1911 on the other and a short star bit that fits the grip panels for the 1911 on top. Nice little tool for when i go to the range. Makes messing with my Ar and my 1911 a breeze.

I really like my MUT, but for KISS at work as a contractor I usually grab the ST as I always have a OHO knife with me as well.

Back