Leatherman spring break, again.

This is the second time the scissor spring broke on my squirt. It's been about two years plus a bit since the last time I sent in for the same repair. Is this a long standing problem with Leatherman?

In all the Victorinox SAK's Ive had, I've had a couple scissor sprigs break But on the Vic they are owner replaceable and cheap. The last time I needed a spring, a little black classic I found laying by the curb in a grocery store parking lot, the nice lady on the other end didn't even charge me for the couple she sent me in the mail. Took about a minute and a half to replace.

Maybe Leatherman needs to look into the people making tier springs. Two springs in two years is a little too much. And the Leatherman scissors don't cut as clean as the Vic scissors. If this is going to turn into an annual event, I think maybe I need to go back to carrying just Victorinox products. It doesn't fill me with confidence in a product that breaks at regular intervals.

Hasn't happened to my squirt yet not ever to my 23 year old Micra, but I did have it happen in a junky little made in China Gerber the day after I bought it.
And I was clipping a small paperclip no less.

I hope this isn't a common problem, what were you using it on ?

Hasn't happened to my squirt yet not ever to my 23 year old Micra, but I did have it happen in a junky little made in China Gerber the day after I bought it.
And I was clipping a small paperclip no less.

I hope this isn't a common problem, what were you using it on ?

Nothing.

I took it out of my pocket to tighten a small Phillips screw and noticed a piece of thin metal sticking by the scissors. I opened up the scissors and the front half of the spring fell out. In truth, I don't even recall the last time I even used the scissors. I only carry the squirt for the drivers and small pliers. If I need scissors, the one on my Victorinox executive cuts way better. Had used the bottle opener the night before to pop off some beer caps.

Nothing.

I took it out of my pocket to tighten a small Phillips screw and noticed a piece of thin metal sticking by the scissors. I opened up the scissors and the front half of the spring fell out. In truth, I don't even recall the last time I even used the scissors. I only carry the squirt for the drivers and small pliers. If I need scissors, the one on my Victorinox executive cuts way better. Had used the bottle opener the night before to pop off some beer caps.

Oh, scissors I was thinking pliers for some reason.
That's still not good.
Too bad they can't make them with a replaceable spring like Victorinox.

I have broken a few on my small Leathermans and they replaced the entire tool instead of the spring. I finally started carrying a Victorinox and have yet to have a problem. If I do, I can order a spring and be done with it.

Nothing.

I don't think I ever used the scissors on my two Ps4 Squirts. They get gunked up if you carry them in your pocket as I do on a key ring with my car keys. I think the springs are the weak link in general whether it be a Vic or a Leatherman.

I actually keep a spare Squirt just in case. But I doubt I will loose one of mine since I keep them on the car/truck key ring and I honestly check to make sure they remain in my pocket as it is way too much trouble with these electronic keys to replace them. Ace carries a key (Duracell) that will work for my Toyota Tacoma for a bit less than $100. That's right..... $80-$100 for a damn key!

I have broken a few on my small Leathermans and they replaced the entire tool instead of the spring. I finally started carrying a Victorinox and have yet to have a problem. If I do, I can order a spring and be done with it.

That's the bottom line. I've had much better luck with Victorinox than Leatherman, and when a scissor spring breaks on a Vic, it take a full minute and a half to replace it. I've only had it happen twice in my life, and the last time was a little black classic I found in the parking lot of the grocery store. It was a old classic, with he scissors screw instead of the rivet and the old tang stamp. When I called Victorinox, the nice lady sent me a few of them at no charge. By contrast, the young lady I spoke with at Leatherman a few days ago was just a bit short of the walking dead or zombi phone help. I've heard more life in a garden rake.

I don't know if I will continue carrying the squirt. The only thing I really have found handy is the small pliers. Most times I reach for my pocket knife, it's to cut something. If I need a screw driver or can opener, my SAK will have it, or the Victorinox quarto in my wallet will do. The last several months I've been carrying a Victorinox executive, and the scissors on it are far and above the small Leatherman scissors.

I have mixed feelings on Leatherman, but I love Victorinox.

Last edited:
What a disappointment!

I read this thread expecting to see Spring Break photos with Leatherman.

Where are the pics?

Back