Leatherman squirt or S. A. minichamp ?

Leatherman if you use the scissors more than the knife. Victorinox Executive if you use the knife more than the scissors. To me, the Minichamp is too thick for its length.

I have a Midnight MiniChamp II that's been in my pocket for two years. It's a chunky little thing, about 58x15x16mm, but it's worth carrying. You won't even notice it on your keychain, but there are eight different implements, of which I admittedly only use six regularly... I don't have much use for the cuticle pusher or the awl hook. The red LED light (the shield is a button, very well done) is bright enough to look through your car. I'm on my second ink cartridge, so the pen gets used... mostly to sign recipts and such. The relative thickness of the knife (it's basically square) to other small SAKs is an asset to me, since it makes the implements easier to use compared to one or two-layer models. The thing is cheap to replace, yet I've never had a single problem with it.

Mainly though, the scissors, screwdriver (a tiny magnetized Philips), bottle opener, pen and warnecliffe blades are just bloody useful. :thumbup:

I used to carry the Vic Midnite MiniChamp II every day. No complaints. Love it. Unsurpassed fit and finish.

I recently bought its predecessor, the MiniChamp, just for a slight change of pace. I already carry LEDs and pens on me so I don't need those functions on a SAK.

I don't have a Squirt. The closest I have is the Micra. I like it well enough, but it is simply too heavy and clunky for carrying every day in my pocket. The fit and finish falls far short of those of any SAK.

I can see how the Squirt might edge out the MiniChamp if you use scissors very often or for heavy-duty tasks, such as cutting thick twine or cardboard.

I'd say this decision rests on how much you use scissors and for what kinds of tasks.

The Squirt is a definate improvement over the Micra. Right now I've got both the P4 and the MiniChamp on a small 'carabiner' key ring on my beltloop. All the toys in one set.

I would also consider the SOG Crosscut or Crossgrip.

http://www.sogknives.com/crscut.htm

I have the Crosscut and really like the compound leverage aspect of the tool. You can easily cut things like wire with the Crosscut that would be extremely difficult with the Squirt.

They are well made tools.

I know I'll be struck down to the ninth circle of hell for saying this, but I like the smaller Wenger knives more than I like the smaller Vic pieces. The keychain Wengers have more useful tools on them IMHO.

http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=8273&cat_id=1&cat_name=Knives&sub_cat_id=75

Sharpthangs said:
I would also consider the SOG Crosscut or Crossgrip.

I have both, actually. I recommend them highly, with two qualifications:
  1. They are very well built for minitools. That makes them heavier than you might expect. This is fine for jeans, but not so fine for the pockets of dress trousers. They may sag. The pocket of your suit jacket may sag should you choose to put it there.
  2. Their toothed gears make for fantastic compound leverage. The toothed gears will also make hash out of your pockets unless the tools are carried in the vinyl sheaths provided.

I haven't experienced the "pocket-hashing". I can definitely see how you might, especially if the edges of those gears weren't rounded out well at the factory.

As to weight, the SOG is listed at 1.7 oz, while the Squirt is listed at 2.0 oz.

Both are heavier than any of the mini SAKs.

How do you like the jaws on the CrossGrip? They don't seem like they would be the most useful. I guess I'm a needle nose kinda guy.

Sharpthangs said:
I haven't experienced the "pocket-hashing". I can definitely see how you might, especially if the edges of those gears weren't rounded out well at the factory.

The tool itself is small enough that, if the edges of the gears were rounded out too well, they would be less effective and the "toothedness" would slip rather than catch.

Sharpthangs said:
How do you like the jaws on the CrossGrip? They don't seem like they would be the most useful. I guess I'm a needle nose kinda guy.

The jaws are fine. Just don't use them for tasks better tackled by needlenose pliers. If you're fixing a delicate piece of jewelry that fell and got bent out of shape, use needlenose pliers. If you're straightening out a fishing line guide on your favorite fly-casting pole, the CrossGrip should do the trick.

I emailed SOG once to ask how they developed the CrossCut and CrossGrip. They replied the tools were developed to fill the needs of special operations groups (hence, SOG) in the field. I guess they don't need needlenose pliers as much as us office guys. Either that or they use another tool for needlenose applications.

Back