Leatherman Squirt P4 or SOG Cross Grip

I'm looking for a strong, durable, ultra-lightweight, plier-based multi tool to carry in by backpack for longer treks, and think I've narrowed it down to these 2. I'm much more concerned about the strength, durability, and usability of the pliers and screwdrivers than the knife blade (I always carry my Sebenza).

All things considered, I'm leaning toward the SOG, but would love to hear from owners of either tool.

i would go for the leatherman. i owned one example of the sog mini-tools, and was not impressed with it at all... actually sent it back to the guy i bought it from. leatherman seems to be of better quality to me.

if you are concerned about the strength and durability of the pliers; why don't you step up a bit and get something from the juice line of leatherman? i am really impressed with my s2 and it is light enough to carry in pocket, so a leatherman juice in your pack should be fine.

I own several tools, though not the Squirt S4. I bought the Crossgrip because the store offered to sell me one on closeout for $12. It was a good value at $12 and the fit and finish is decent.

The handles on the SOG Crossgrip are short and hurt my hand, so I can't apply much as much pressure as I expected. Those limitations are somewhat offset by the compound action.

The Crossgrip is supplied with a simple vinyl cover. I keep the Crossgrip in its cover because the exposed teeth at one end of the tool would surely tear up a pants or jacket pocket.

If you don't require the screwdrivers, wire cutter, tweezers, or knife blade, consider whether carrying a 4.5 inch Tongue and Groove Plier, like these Channellocks would suffice:

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/4_5_inch_Tongue_and_Groove_Pli_P112C3.cfm

They have padded handles and the jaws remain parallel to each other.

I have a SOG CrossGrip. You just can't beat their compound leverage.

The two things I don't like about it are: (1) If you don't keep it in its vinyl case or otherwise contained, its toothed gears will tear up your pocket, and (2) the crosshead screwdriver is a compromise. All these smaller tools are compromises, but this tool looks like a stunted version of the "FOR PHILLIPS" tool found on the Leather Micra (which I also have).

That said, I like the CrossGrip. I like its gripping power and its jaws much better than other tool of similar size. I have looked at the Squirt lineup and was not impressed by their pliers.

The jaws on the CrossGrip don't break. I have read of numerous breakdowns of the Squirt pliers here on these forums.

cardimon said:
The jaws on the CrossGrip don't break. I have read of numerous breakdowns of the Squirt pliers here on these forums.

Actually, this is the first I read about it. A brief search of threads didn't come up with anything. Could you direct me to postings or other information on P4 breakdowns?

znapschatz said:
Actually, this is the first I read about it. A brief search of threads didn't come up with anything. Could you direct me to postings or other information on P4 breakdowns?

Not specifically. It's just things I have read where people have used the tool and one of the jaws snapped. Such stories concerned either the Juice or the Squirt line, not the SOG CrossGrip.

I think people tend to think of the smaller multitools as being as robust as their larger versions, which simply isn't true. Instead of rumaging about in their basement or garage or car trunk for a more appropriate tool, they use the one that's convenient -- the one on their keychain or on in their pocket.

cardimon said:
I think people tend to think of the smaller multitools as being as robust as their larger versions, which simply isn't true. Instead of rumaging about in their basement or garage or car trunk for a more appropriate tool, they use the one that's convenient -- the one on their keychain or on in their pocket.

Well, yes. Apart from having a tool on my person for convenience or in case of emergency when out and about, I like being "self contained" in general. Sure, when the need arises I could go to the tool kit, but I like the option of taking it out of my pocket on the spot. Sometimes things get fixed for that reason alone. Multitools are a lifestyle choice, or is that just another way of being too lazy?;)

znapschatz said:
Well, yes. Apart from having a tool on my person for convenience or in case of emergency when out and about, I like being "self contained" in general. Sure, when the need arises I could go to the tool kit, but I like the option of taking it out of my pocket on the spot. Sometimes things get fixed for that reason alone. Multitools are a lifestyle choice, or is that just another way of being too lazy?;)

In my view, laziness is also a lifestyle choice, and one I fully support. :D

Back