Leatherman Surge S30V

I've been thinking of upgrading from my wave to a surge for a long time for a larger tool which would be great at work. I have an s30v blade on my wave and its my main knife when I'm at work. The only reason for years I aint bought a surge was I cannot go back to 420 steel at work and didn't think I could put an s30v blade on a surge. Weeks ago my wife borrowed my wave for the scissors and we had to stop and go get real scissors due to the waves being so small. Got me wishing for a surge again. Started looking into it and there was no info out there on whether or not a charge blade can go on a surge. Best I could tell it should work. Well I told my wife that and she suprised me today with a new Surge. So of course I immediately went to put the charge blade on it.

It works! I'm stoked, same great blade steel but on a workhorse of a tool.

Really posting this so it's out on the web for anyone else who wants a surge but wished they could upgrade the blade.

I may be (am?) mistaken, but I think te Charge is tesamesze as the Surge? Tool set may be different, too.
Anyway, the Charge+ TTi has a S30V plain edge blade.(the serrated blade and tools (possible exception the bits) are 420HC)
Could the Charge/Charge+ (CPM154 blade) or Charge+ TTi (S30V blade) be a viable alternative to the Surge?
Buying the Charge+ TTi just for the blade to put in a Surge seems a bit spendy (to me), especiallyif a new Surge is also needed.
I think the Charge+ TTi is closer to $200 than $100 ... mite even be over $200. LM charges a significant premium for the updated blade steel on the Charge+ and Charge+ TTI. ☹️
I don't believe the Surge is "inexpensive", either.

Last edited:
The surge is leathermans biggest tool. It's a size bigger than the wave/charge series. Leatherman does not offer an upgraded model with the surge like they do with the charge series. So if you want the biggest multitool with an upgraded blade. You have to make it. I just wanted to let anyone else interested know it can be done, when I was thinking of doing this I couldn't find any info anywhere as to if this worked or not.

Specifically taking the s30v blade from a charge tti (or the charge 154 blade) and putting it on a surge to have the same upgrade for the surge. It is a direct swap, it took me less than 2 minutes. Pivots were the same, lock works. It is a hairy bit smaller of a blade than the surges, but all the important sizes were the same so it swaps in.

You dont have to buy two tools, you can find the s30v blades by themselves for sale on places like eBay or whatnot for around 60 bucks. Which 60 bucks is pretty on par for a s30v knife in general.

Back