Leatherman Warranty

Well, here's the situation. At work the other day I accidentally dropped a panel we were prepping to put above a door, made of 16 gauge (I think) sheet metal, causing it to bend back on itself. In an effort to bend it back I grabbed onto it with the pliers on my Leatherman PST II and attempted to bend the metal back up. Upon doing so, the jaws one side of the pliers cracked completely off. I've sent it back to Leatherman to see if this could be covered by warranty, since I wasn't attempting to pry with it, and didn't have anything attached to it other than my arm to generate torque. My question is has anyone here dealt with the Leatherman company about warranty questions before and do you think this might be covered? If not I've already bought a new Kick to replace the PST II, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Lagarto

Did you present the issue to them in a note with your tool? That always is a good idea.I've sent back a Mini Tool with a description of what happened and asked for a call with a repair cost. Three weeks later it came back repaired at no charge. We are very happy with their service. I've also ordered sheaths from them and very prompt service.

P.S. There is also a multitool forum here. Lots of great info there. Check it out, good stuff!!

Guy G, thanks for the info, yes I did send them a note with a written description of the incident along with the registration form for the new Kick. I received the PST II as a gift at Christmas time in 1997, so I don't have the receipt and I explained that as well. Can't remember if I registered it with them or not.

Lagarto

Leatherman tools are a great company and stand behind their products. Your tool should be covered. I sent in my Juice because the wire cutters did not cut just right after doing some heavy work with the pliers. They replaced it free of charge. John

i guarantee they will replace it no questions asked.

I have sent many back for many people

they always do the right thing.

ALWAYS.

Thanks Cougar, you da man. You can erase the other thread here if you want. Everyone else thanks for the replies, that sort of confirms what I thought and was largely the reason I purchased another leatherman and not a similar sized Gerber.

Lagarto

I had a screwdriver blade on my Leatherman Wave snap off while trying to remove a tight screw. I sent it to Leatherman with a note saying what happened. After a couple of weeks, I had a new Wave tool. I thought they'd just replace the broken blade, but the just sent a new tool. Now, it was the older model Wave, which is what I had before, but I didn't mind. You can't ask for better customer service than that. The only thing that I don't like about the Wave, is that it has a bit of a flex/wobble to it when using the one-handed opening of the outer knives. It doesn't affect the usefullness of the tool, just a bit odd, and no way to fix it that I can see. :rolleyes:

I was a pretty disappointed with leathermans service. I sent it in my charge xti to get a tiny problem repaired, the tip of lock button for the inner tools had broken off, and it came back with several new issues. First they screws were mismatched 3 of the are T5 the other 5 are T6 and they are a different color metal so it looks pretty bad. Next the lock on the main blade has become mushy so it no longer snaps in to place with a tactile click like all the other outer blades do. Lastly the file now grinds against the handles when opening and closing. I was very unhappy so send it in for service and have it come back with new problems.

ajb21 said:
I was a pretty disappointed with leathermans service. I sent it in my charge xti to get a tiny problem repaired, the tip of lock button for the inner tools had broken off, and it came back with several new issues. First they screws were mismatched 3 of the are T5 the other 5 are T6 and they are a different color metal so it looks pretty bad. Next the lock on the main blade has become mushy so it no longer snaps in to place with a tactile click like all the other outer blades do. Lastly the file now grinds against the handles when opening and closing. I was very unhappy so send it in for service and have it come back with new problems.

ajb21 Welcom to the forums ,what country did you post it in and did you post it to Leatherman direct or to a retailer/ importer ?
Im in the UK and whitby knives are the importers here and they offer very good service .

Duncan

I'm in the US and I sent it direct to leatherman. The only thing that really bothers me is the lock on the main blade. The screws are just a ascetic issue and the file problem should sort it's self out. But I have emailed support about the lock(including pictures 1 ,2 as you can see the lock on the main blade hardly comes up at all compared to the other outer blades, also the lock does not engage at all about %10 of the time I open it)
I will suspend judgement till I see how they deal with this.

Thats a bit of a safety issue i'snt it , i would think they will sought it out for you , i hope so anyway .If not get a Victorinox swisstool :D

Dunc

Well they just (Which means about 3 hours after I emailed them) emailed me asking for my mailing address so they could send a prepaid envelope to me to send it back. They also offered me a free hat or sheath. So I guess there service is pretty good after all.

Leatherman has the best warranty in the biz so I am confident that you will be taken care of!

Kap

Thanks for al the kind comments on our warranty service, I will be sure to pass the comments on to the guys and gals who take care of warrant and customer srevice.
Leatherman strives to take care of each and everyone of our customers and we try our best to make things right.

LR

ajb21 said:
I'm in the US and I sent it direct to leatherman. The only thing that really bothers me is the lock on the main blade. The screws are just a ascetic issue and the file problem should sort it's self out. But I have emailed support about the lock(including pictures 1 ,2 as you can see the lock on the main blade hardly comes up at all compared to the other outer blades, also the lock does not engage at all about %10 of the time I open it)
I will suspend judgement till I see how they deal with this.

There is a review of the charge here and the review model has the same problem as yours Charge review

I guess im lucky with mine ,the only problem i have is choosing which one to carry vic swisstool or LM Charge :rolleyes:

Dunc

Interesting review! I still can't picture to what use someone would be putting a folding knife to where you'd have to put "over 20 pounds of pressure on the backside of the blade" (to get the lock to fail), since the front side is where the work gets done.

:confused: Seems to me, so long as the blade stays locked while you're cutting, that'd be the main criteria... How much pressure does it take on the back of a slipjoint knife to close it, for example.

Why is this 'back pressure' a concern? I keep hearing this complaint about various locking schemes and just don't get it. :)

Stone Knife said:
Why is this 'back pressure' a concern?
Usually the knife gets stuck and you attempt to pull or twist it out. Then there are the folding knives actually designed to take loads on the spine for heavy utility or martial purposes.

-Cliff

Back