Leatherman Wave Question

I have an older Wave that has an odd problem. When I open the non serrated blade, the torx fastener under the blade rotates 90 degrees. I made a sharpie mark on both torx fasteners. When I open the non serrated blade, both torx fasteners rotate 90 degrees. Do I need to disassemble and reassemble with medium loctite? The non serrated blade is extremely hard to open but everything else opens easily Thanks in advance for any advice

This probably belongs in the maintenance and tinkering section.

I have an older Wave that has an odd problem. When I open the non serrated blade, the torx fastener under the blade rotates 90 degrees. I made a sharpie mark on both torx fasteners. When I open the non serrated blade, both torx fasteners rotate 90 degrees. Do I need to disassemble and reassemble with medium loctite? The non serrated blade is extremely hard to open but everything else opens easily Thanks in advance for any advice

If you're unsure what to do then you could always just send it to Leatherman for warranty service.

If it is harder to open the plain edge blade then it sounds like the pivot might actually be too tight, or it may just need some oil. There may even be some corrosion between the pivot and the knife blade.

I would try oiling it first. Give the oil some time to work its way in, and then manually work the blade open and closed several times to see i you can loosen it up. If that doesn't work, then you can worry about unscrewing the pivot.

In order to unscrew the pivot, you may need to use a heat gun or blow dryer to loosen up the existing thread compound that was applied at the factory when the Wave was assembled.

If they both rotate, it shouldn’t be an issue. I believe the early ones did not have an anti-rotation notch in them.

I have never had to use heat to take apart my wave. Just two of the appropriate torx bits and it came apart. I'd disassemble then reassemble with blue loctite if oiling it doesn't fix it

Back