LED flashlights

I've searched the Commmunity center forum for answers, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

How sensitive are LEDs to voltage requirements? I'd like to use the PT Matrix LED assembly (3V) in my Vortec (6V) without using slugs.

Undervoltage: okay
Overvoltage: not okay

Either use a higher-voltage LED assembly, a lower voltage flashlight, or use the slugs.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by e_utopia (edited 05-18-2000).]

E_utopia is absolutely correct. However there is one significant exception to this rule.

The green Photon II light can be run at 6V with its' normal 3V LED. This produces a very bright light, and run time is about 20 hours, longer than the white or turquoise (which come as 6V lights, but have 3V designed LEDs). The life of the LED is not significantly adversely affected (this is NOT true of yellow, orange and red colors, BTW).

This is done simply by replacing the stock 2032 battery with two 2016 batteries. Actually, they are starting to come from the factory that way, after some posters on the Photon Discussion Board raised the issue, and found that the combination worked well. The Discussion Board is here:
http://www.photonlight.com/index2.html

Also at this site are the specifications for all the Photons, and a lot of other information.

BTW, there are a whole bunch of us who have done what Walter described. The setup works superbly, with no adverse affects found by anyone yet. I still like turquoise better, but 2-battery green is a very close second.

Joe

Hmmm, gonna have to try that!

------------------

--Frank C.

[This message has been edited by FrankC (edited 05-22-2000).]

Hmmmm...I'll just get the Matrix bulb assembly and use slugs. Looks like a Lightwave 2000 and a PAL light are in order too.

Back