Leek TIZDP

Thomas, I bought a Leek TIZDP from knifeworks a few days ago.:D I already have two other Leeks and two Scallions.

It wasn't until a few days after buying the Leek TIZDP that I found the numerous threads about it here on bladeforums and spent many hours reading about the them.

What I was wondering is that from what I read, the blades were made in July and August 2006 and I thought that only 1000 pcs, were being made.

Mine has April 2007 on the blade. Were there more than 1000 pcs made or did mine have the blade replaced ? Was the tips made stronger with these later batches ?

It is a nice knife and functions fine except that it is not nearly as sharp as the other two Leeks or Scallions I have and the AO assist stud groves were not finished and left in the rough.

The handles have a few scratches on them also, that's what makes me wonder if the blade had been replaced.

I have no problem with the knife and am going to keep it.

I just need to find someone to put a really good Kershaw "scary" edge on it for me since I'm a sharpening dummy.

Thanks for starting a Kershaw Forum and thanks for any info or help.:)

What I was wondering is that from what I read, the blades were made in July and August 2006 and I thought that only 1000 pcs, were being made.

Mine has April 2007 on the blade. Were there more than 1000 pcs made or did mine have the blade replaced ? Was the tips made stronger with these later batches ?

It is a nice knife and functions fine except that it is not nearly as sharp as the other two Leeks or Scallions I have and the AO assist stud groves were not finished and left in the rough.

The handles have a few scratches on them also, that's what makes me wonder if the blade had been replaced.

I just need to find someone to put a really good Kershaw "scary" edge on it for me since I'm a sharpening dummy.
CARman, we did have some "bulk" blades that were processed in April of 07. About 125 of them or so.

The Aug/06 blades were ground a bit differently than the earlier versions, and were probably a bit better overall.

By your words, I'm assuming you had sent your Leek in for warranty, and you sound as if you are saying that it looks as if the blade was the only thing replaced (correct me if I am wrong here). We don't have any "new" Leeks to be used for warranty, but do have a few blades to replace if necessary.

I feel bad about your edge not being as sharp as your other Kershaw's, you could always send it back here for a touch up.

Thomas, sorry for the confusion. I have only had the Leek ZDP since last week and I bought it new from knifeworks.com.

I did not send it in for warranty work. I haven't had long enough to admire it yet to send it off.;) I was just wondering about the Apr 07 date on the blade.

Do you think that knifeworks could have sold it before and returned to Kershaw for warranty work by the original purchaser and then it was returned to knifeworks and then sold to me as new ? This would explain the Apr 07 blade. I know this would not be your problem though and just asking your opinion.

The knife works well and with the exception of the AO assist stud groves being rough finished and a few scratches on the handle, it is fine functionally and the tip seems to be a good bit thicker than the standard Leeks tip.

I may take you up on sending it in for sharpening though.

Thanks for your help.

It looks as if we did put together a few of the Leeks together with the April 07 blades, so I will have to say it was probably new.

The finish dosen't sound quite right on it though. When you get around to prying from your fingers, you should send it in for a once over.

It looks as if we did put together a few of the Leeks together with the April 07 blades, so I will have to say it was probably new.

The finish dosen't sound quite right on it though. When you get around to prying from your fingers, you should send it in for a once over.

Thanks for the info Thomas, that makes me feel better.

Yeah, it's going to be tough to turn loose of it for a little while.:D The blade is sharp enough for now.

I just wanted it to be as sharp as my other Kershaws right out of the box because I had bought it with the intention of the better metal holding the sharp edge longer since I am not capable of efficient sharpening.:( That's ok since Kershaw has such good CS.:)

Thanks again for the info and help.

I also have a new Leek w/ZDP189 and April 07 date. The blade is not real symetrical in grind and not very sharp, but I'm doing my best to sharpen it myself. I have to learn sometime.

Overall, I like it quite well.

Richard

Fit and finish not just right like it should be???

This sounded familiar. I remember seeing another thread
about someone getting a knife from knifeworks and it not
being up to par.
I'm not bashing knifeworks or Kershaw. Hell, I've purchased
from knifeworks years before without a problem. And Kershaw,
well, they just make some great knives in my opinion.

It just seems a coincidence that this could be a Leek or Knifeworks problem.
Am I reading too much into this?? Coincidence and nothing more?
Idunno?

here is the linky
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474041

mike

The only two knives I have ever bought from kershaw (spec bump and s30v leek) both had issues with the bevels not being symmetrical. I polished them up though on the diamond stones and after five minutes both were like razor blades..especially the leek. Both very nice knives but sold them off a while ago. Fastest AO knives I have ever seen.

I have a Leek S30V with G10 handle. It came from factory via knifeworks with a blade that was ground very even but not real sharp. A few minutes on the Sharpmaker and it was extremely sharp. Fit and finish were excellent. The S30V holds an nice edge for a long time. It is my favorite blade steel.

Back