Left-handed versions

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Platinum Member
Hi Guys!
So I just found a Southpaw version of the PM2, and it's happily joining my Portsider Military in my collection
My question: How many of the more current models have been made for us left-handers?

Pretty sure the only dedicated Lefty versions are PM2 and Military! Of course there's all the Mid -back and Caged Ball bearing locks that are ambidextrous! I thought the Para 3 and other popular comp lock knives would eventually get their own Left handed versions , Apparently there's not enough demand.

The lefty military is in stock in most places. There was a time when they were out of stock for like 3+ years. When they finally came back in stock I bought a back up. I hope they make a lefty Military 2

šŸ˜ We have to stock up when we can...

I'm left handed and bagged a LH PM2 quite a while back. It's nice.

What I really wanted was the knife in another flavor of steel, but a LH version was pretty unlikely. So I bought the RH version. It was ok, but not great. I got futzing around in the garage and decided to carve a piece of vulcanized fiber material to fit the cutout for the compression lock. I super-glued it into place, and it's been there ever since. The knife works great. In fact, the RH with a button is far better than the plain LH compression lock.

You have them both. Fact is they like most companies just don't love us. We are not a big enough part of the market so we are not worth the cost of production. I have bought 3 new Benchmades because spyderco isn't releasing new lefty models

You have them both. Fact is they like most companies just don't love us. We are not a big enough part of the market so we are not worth the cost of production. I have bought 3 new Benchmades because spyderco isn't releasing new lefty models
I don't look for love from the knife production guys: it's just a simple case of "Math & Money" for them...

I realize that ~90% of the population is right handed and the money isn't there. But I don't see a sprint run of shamans, sages, or even the new bodacious being a bust. Spyderco has done so many runs of different models that the task of tooling can't be the issue. I also believe that if there was no love left at the top that half the models put out in the last 10 years wouldn't have happened. I see them tweaking models and filling a niche where they find it.

For me the military line doesn't fit my hand quite right and puts the tip in the wrong place. I have a pm2 and have tweaked it over the last year to be able to get along with it but it's been a struggle.

I guess what I'm saying not to well is one leaf shaped model big or small in a lefty would be nice and can't possibly be the ruin of the company.

Anyways that's my personal feeling on the matter and like most things in life it isn't worth much so don't put much stock in it.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

Hey anyone want to talk lefty ? Seems like left handed knives are getting a bit scarce and pricey, anyone else see this

There is a few Hinderer Eklipse's that just landed on eBay today ~ Crazy prices

Been really happy with my kizer Gemini Left handed with the raffir scales. On the small side at 3" but an excellent action. I'm also quite fond of my Tr-3 in left hand. Would love if the Spyderco bodacious came out in a lefty. I also have a Spyderco resilience David Mary regrind that treats me well lefty. It's a big enough knife I can easily manipulate it lefty and control the blade all the way home.

I don't understand the need for lefty PM2's, it is easy enough to disengage a compression lock with your thumb and let the choil fall on your finger like lockback closing. Or any compression lock with a choil/ ricasso for that matter. The military being a liner lock would benefit having a lefty version though there is no clean way to one hand those.

Sometimes it's nice to control the blade when you can't see the knife or are concentrating on what's in your other hand. If I'm cutting an apple then no it doesn't matter as much but if I'm under a truck cutting zip ties or something else it can matter a great deal to know the blade is controlled closed. Not all situations allow for open and close under ideal conditions.

Just my .02 but my Crucarta Pm2 sits in a box never to be used again

I don't understand the need for lefty PM2's, it is easy enough to disengage a compression lock with your thumb and let the choil fall on your finger like lockback closing. Or any compression lock with a choil/ ricasso for that matter. The military being a liner lock would benefit having a lefty version though there is no clean way to one hand those.

That is the exact need for a lefty PM2, so I can carry and use it right handed. Not that I ever do, but it is the only one I would consider.

Back