Lefty folder EDC recommendations

Newbie here. Carried a Buck 110 for a long time, and just recently got into better options.

Have been researching the various vendors, types of locks, types of steel, etc.

I've added a few new knives (Kershaw Induction, CRKT Avant, Kershaw Link in M390).

Am now looking for a really nice folder, that will become my primary EDC. 50th birthday is coming up, will have some extra $ to spend.

If I was looking for something that met the below requirements, what would be the group's recommendation(s)?

1. USA made. I want this purchase to support companies that keep this manufacturing in the U.S.

2. Ambidextrous pocket clip.

3. No frame locks. I like the Hawk lock on my Kershaw Induction. Also a fan of Benchmade's Axis locks. And I know its old-school, but I like the security of back locks (Buck, SpiderCo). Open to options here.

4. Good steel. M390, Elmax, 20CV, S110 V, S35V, S30V, etc. I know that other steels (like the 8CR14MoV in my CRKT Avant) is sufficient for just about anything I'll use it for. But this will be a premium purchase, so I want good steel

5. 3" blade, or something close to that. Would prefer to keep overall length under 8".

6. Preferably a flipper. I have short fingers, so many knives where a thumb stud is the primary opening mechanism are difficult for me to work with.

Thanks in advance for any feedback from this forum. I am enjoying going through the MANY threads here.

Just about any Axis lock Benchmade will do you right. Fully ambidextrous, and Benchmade is pretty good at drilling out the “wrong” side for you southpaws to place the clip.

I’d recommend a Mini Griptilian. I like flipping mine more than any other flipper I’ve owned. I have relatively small hands as well, and the Mini is a beaut. Feels perfect in my hands. You have S30V and 20CV to choose from, or you can build one yourself with whichever steel you want, though I can’t recall all of their steel options at the moment.

My Mini Ritter-

oHgwPE0.jpg

Last edited:
-the axis lock, Bailout, dont like the Bug out that much, or the Grip, but I'd definitely changed the scales
-the ball bearing from Spyderco is great, a LW Manix 2 is a great knife, the flick out so easily could be a flipper, its in my top ten knives
-the button lock, but its expensive
-new Giant mouse iona looks great

Hogue X1 Microflip. I'd recommend the Wharncliffe version. I have the drop point and love it, but the tip isn't super pointy. Flipping action on it is fantastic, perfect detent coupled with a great button lock, and US made. It's about 2.75" blade length, so still big enough to use while being moderately unassuming in size.

I like the Benchmade Bugout I bought a few weeks ago quite a bit for what I bought it for. A light-weight folder that doesn't pull my shorts down while kicking around in the summer, but is still well made. I'm not really a lefty, I'm more ambidextrous, but my cameras are hard to work left handed so I like to carry my knives on my left side. I like that it has a partial metal frame inside and not just the grivory. I also like that I can apply forward pressure on the thumbstud to open rather than having to push out and around.
20190525_000931.jpg

20190525_001050.jpg

20190525_001056.jpg

20190525_001058.jpg

Hogue X1 Microflip. I'd recommend the Wharncliffe version. I have the drop point and love it, but the tip isn't super pointy. Flipping action on it is fantastic, perfect detent coupled with a great button lock, and US made. It's about 2.75" blade length, so still big enough to use while being moderately unassuming in size.

That's a nice looking knife. I'm very familiar with Hogue, have some of their products on my Mossberg 500 Mariner. Thanks for the suggestion, definitely have to check that one out too!

As a lefty, I typically find “right hand” knives like liner or framelocks and compression locks just fine as long as the clip can be moved for left tip up carry.
But I do enjoy left specific knives like my CRKs or fully ambidextrous like a backlock, axis or cbbl. Personally I prefer Spyderco’s cbbl in the Manix2 over Benchmade axis as it’s stiffer making it feel more secure to me. The action is nicer too.
My current fav is the Spyderco Smock. I have a custom lefty SK23 but really the side the button release is on makes no functional difference.
Now the Smock is made in Taiwan but still an American company. It’s a flipper, Imo the best kind as it works great yet has no “pocket pecker” making it ride even better in pocket. The Manix2 is made in USA and can be had in many different steels. It is a bit of a pocket hog but the hole is super easy to operate, much better than thumb studs that you mentioned weren’t to your liking. So those two are my suggestions for you.

I prefer Spyderco’s cbbl in the Manix2 over Benchmade axis as it’s stiffer making it feel more secure to me. The action is nicer too.

I looked at the Manix 2 the same day I bought the Bugout. What turned me off about the lock on the Manix 2 is how the spring is a coil spring clearly visible in the center of the whole. I kept getting visions of the tip of one of the smaller keys on my key ring damaging the spring at some point over time. I can't know for sure if that would happen or not, but it was enough to make me not feel quite as comfortable with that lock design.

I looked at the Manix 2 the same day I bought the Bugout. What turned me off about the lock on the Manix 2 is how the spring is a coil spring clearly visible in the center of the whole. I kept getting visions of the tip of one of the smaller keys on my key ring damaging the spring at some point over time. I can't know for sure if that would happen or not, but it was enough to make me not feel quite as comfortable with that lock design.
I’ve had my Manix for years and never had anything get in the spring other than some pocket lint. It doesn’t interfere with the lock and blows out easily. I’ve used it in dirty conditions, lent it to a friend who was rather hard on it, carried it with keys, you name it. I honestly can’t see the spring ever being damaged by anything.
I was intrigued by the bugout but those handles are so flexible I stayed away. Don’t carry my cutjack for the same reason. Not sure what the lightweight manix’s are like but mine is g10 over steel liners and it’s a solid knife. Also mines the Cruwear version and in my books you just can’t beat Cruwear as a knife steel.

As a lefty, I typically find “right hand” knives like liner or framelocks and compression locks just fine as long as the clip can be moved for left tip up carry.
But I do enjoy left specific knives like my CRKs or fully ambidextrous like a backlock, axis or cbbl.

The Manix2 is made in USA and can be had in many different steels. It is a bit of a pocket hog but the hole is super easy to operate, much better than thumb studs that you mentioned weren’t to your liking. So those two are my suggestions for you.

It seems that if I filter for good steel, ambi pocket clip, flipper and liner lock, that returns a lot of good selections. Appreciate the feedback. I've gotten a number of replies, here and on other boards, about the Manix2. Have to check that one out.

I like the Benchmade Bugout I bought a few weeks ago quite a bit for what I bought it for. A light-weight folder that doesn't pull my shorts down while kicking around in the summer, but is still well made. I'm not really a lefty, I'm more ambidextrous, but my cameras are hard to work left handed so I like to carry my knives on my left side. I like that it has a partial metal frame inside and not just the grivory. I also like that I can apply forward pressure on the thumbstud to open rather than having to push out and around.

Have been reading up on the Bugout. Some reviewers comment that the frame is kinda flimsy. What has been your experience?

Have been reading up on the Bugout. Some reviewers comment that the frame is kinda flimsy. What has been your experience?

Compared to my old Benchmade CQC7 with a Ti frame from the 90s, and a few other folders I've owned like a Buck 110, I have no doubts that it is a bit of flimsy. It's designed as an ultralight knife sort of like a more expensive and better made answer to the same concept as the Buck Lites. I saw that at first inspection before ever using it. It has a partial steel frame inside a grivory handle but also has metal standoffs. The overall design is pretty transparent at a glance, and I think common sense would say that to anyone who picked it up and compared it to the other offerings on display at a brick and mortar store which is where I prefer to buy my knives when possible. And I think common sense should prevail in using it. But I guess a description of the materials design and materials used may not immediately bring those thoughts to mind for those with less experiences with knives buying then from online retailers. But it's fine for my purposes which as I stated above were to have an ultra-lite folder that won't help pull my shots down if running on the beach. And that I felt a little more comfortable with than the ultra-lite version of the Spyderco Manix 2 which doesn't have an internal frame at all and the lock spring on it worried me a bit. But I gave up on having a folder I could actually have confidence in the the durability of over the long haul years ago, due to the inherent weakness of moving parts. So after trying lots of others on the market I just designed the small fixed blade I wanted for that role and had a few runs of them made by TOPS knives. This Tibo is my go-to for light weight and durability at the same time, and I will have it around my neck under a shirt most of the time too. But it could come to pass that I need to cut something that doesn't require a lot of strength when I am out on the beach or town with my date and the folder, for screwed up and illogical reasons even though it's larger over all, still offers more sheeplefriendliness in use in public places because even people who don't own or carry a knife expect to see folders. Fixed blades catch them off guard and people fear what they aren't used to. When I am out I would rather have the day go smoothly and me enjoy my time with my date and not have to waste any of the time trying to dispel someone's ignorance, when I can work on that at other times when I'm by myself :)
20190525_131013.jpg

Spyderco makes a lot of fully ambi backlocks, in addition to the ambi Manix 2. There's also the left hand versions of the PM2 and Military currently available.

Spyderco Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. Love both of mine, simply great, solid knives. Ball bearing lock is so smooth and secure feeling. The sound of my heavyweight manix locking up is literally like a vault. Love it.

If it has to be USA made.
The Spyderco Lefty Paramilitary 2 Is all I can think of.
Otherwise it's all Benchmades & Spyderco back locks.

Back