Legal blade length for folding knife in Florida

Hey, I am goin to Miami for spring break and was wondering if any one knows the legal length for a folding pocket knife. I carry it in my pocket witha clip, I dont know if this is considered concealed or not. Thank you. -Lev

I'm not familiar with local regulations in Miami, so check those.

My understanding of Florida state law (cursory) is that there is no length restriction mentioned in the statutes, but by case law if you stay under 4 inches you should be on the right side of the law. Also, the knife should have no other features that would indicate it was designed for use as a weapon, such as guards or a double edge, etc.

I'm not sure about clip carry in FL, but my personal rule of thumb is that I do not consider it concealed as long as the entire clip and about 1/2" of the knife handle is in plain view at all times (i.e. view not obstructed by an untucked shirt, etc.).

Of course you should also be aware that college students on spring break get extra special treatment by FL law enforcement. I know because I spent several spring breaks there when I was in school (late '80s) and had a number of encounters with LE even though I am a totally low-key guy. If an LEO has a reason to direct his attention to you and wants to get you on something, any knife might be all the excuse he needs to at least get you a night in jail. Heck, just holding an open beer can in the wrong place can get you a ticket in a heartbeat on spring break. They are apparently trying to send a message, and if you don't seem to be getting it, they will send it louder. Be careful and conservative about the knife and enjoy your spring break (responsibly).

Thank you Lurker. That's actually better news than I was expecting. Hopefully everything will go well and I'll enjoy my first spring break at school (University of Maryland; GO TERPS!!!). Be well. -Lev

Back