Legion Reviews & Testing. KnifeResearch

GianniLion

LionSteel Moderator
By morganleah March 2011

The knife is just in my possession and have already made a first trip where I used to make us a bit of firewood, carving and beat a few stakes, cut some cord and prepare a sandwich ... in short, ordinary stuff ;)

CIMG1463.jpg

CIMG1464.jpg

CIMG1469.jpg

Yesterday I used it to light a fire in the house using the firesteel

CIMG1472.jpg

Today I made a "bit" of batoning, splitting and chopping in my lab (in fact I did firewood) :cool:

First of all I am built the clapper

CIMG1474.jpg

CIMG1475.jpg

CIMG1476.jpg

then I made "ergonomic" removing a bit of shrapnel

CIMG1477.jpg

Then I started to dance. The chestnut wood is seasoned. These were the masts of the vineyard of a friend and through him I have wood for the winter :thumbup:

CIMG1480.jpg

CIMG1487.jpg

CIMG1493.jpg

here my friend (and collaborator as well as chief designer) molletta having fun

CIMG1507.jpg

CIMG1506.jpg

CIMG1504.jpg

after all this work the thread is still perfect even if no more razor sharp.

CIMG1496.jpg

CIMG1514.jpg

CIMG1513.jpg

this is the result

CIMG1498.jpg

will not sharpen the knife until it will be more able to cut fine paper ... for now even though to tear at some point.

I will take a short weekend in the woods by using it to make a building then I will continue laboratory tests on materials less "easy" even seasoned wood.

after about a week to work more or less heavy the blade is less sharp than this dirty and when it was new (and it seems to me obvious).

CIMG1547.jpg

The paper is cut into more than two points marked in red.
in the first picture was the most severely stressed point with which I also cut the knots of wood.

CIMG1549.jpg

The second picture is due to an impact with the brick of the fireplace while I used to make the bait

CIMG1550.jpg

if we exclude the beginning and end of the blade that have been used very little, other points can cut the paper, but with some difficulty. No pressure to be clear cut

after giving him a wash with a sponge and soap dishes with paper improves the situation, probably because a lot of material stuck to the wire was cut.

CIMG1553.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCNNtJgFpA

to return to an optimum state was enough for me pass him (30 passes per side) with a 1200 grit ceramic stick and leather strop for about 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVYF0xopkHM

The black blade that we can see from the pics is it only a photo problem? :confused:
I can not understand the conditions of the satin finish after a week of work

Come on Morgan, you can do a better pics!!! :D:D

the blade is not black, but is a result of flash
I suck as a photographer :D
the satin is almost intact. Soon we will see if you scratched the kydex

we started the test cuts the rope 20mm
for now I can say that I am very satisfied. The results beyond expectations.
I should be able to have the video for this weekend

Hi morganleah,

How is the steel holding up to corrosion with prolong use.. especially the exposed tang area?

By morganleah March 2011

The knife is just in my possession and have already made a first trip where I used to make us a bit of firewood, carving and beat a few stakes, cut some cord and prepare a sandwich ... in short, ordinary stuff ;)

CIMG1463.jpg

CIMG1464.jpg

CIMG1469.jpg

Yesterday I used it to light a fire in the house using the firesteel

CIMG1472.jpg

Today I made a "bit" of batoning, splitting and chopping in my lab (in fact I did firewood) :cool:

First of all I am built the clapper

CIMG1474.jpg

CIMG1475.jpg

CIMG1476.jpg

then I made "ergonomic" removing a bit of shrapnel

CIMG1477.jpg

Then I started to dance. The chestnut wood is seasoned. These were the masts of the vineyard of a friend and through him I have wood for the winter :thumbup:

CIMG1480.jpg

CIMG1487.jpg

CIMG1493.jpg

here my friend (and collaborator as well as chief designer) molletta having fun

CIMG1507.jpg

CIMG1506.jpg

CIMG1504.jpg

after all this work the thread is still perfect even if no more razor sharp.

CIMG1496.jpg

CIMG1514.jpg

CIMG1513.jpg

this is the result

CIMG1498.jpg

will not sharpen the knife until it will be more able to cut fine paper ... for now even though to tear at some point.

I will take a short weekend in the woods by using it to make a building then I will continue laboratory tests on materials less "easy" even seasoned wood.

The Legion looks great, is it on sale yet and available in the UK?

This is the website to order: Kniferesearch.com

It is on sale for some while now, you missed the preorder price.
But it's still a very good knife for the money ;)

when tested for cutting the rope I noticed something ... I am weak.
500-600 cuts in a row you can do, but after I get my arm tired.
the Legion is doing so well until the end ... unfortunately I had no more rope. Can I suggest a good 2000 cuts if everything is done to perfection.

Here the video sped up 500%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmac1-H5YnY

towards the end of the test paper except the fairly cut point of about 3cm to the belly of the blade.
I noticed that this thread was dead in some places, a sign that was not perfectly sharp.

No problem at hand ... the grip seems pretty damn efficient.
I am extremely pleased.

I'm doing tests with both satin and stonewashed.
The satin has become a bit dark in a couple of points, but the stone is intact.
using them normally and then wiping with a rag without even flush them nothing happens.

CIMG1665.jpg

CIMG1668.jpg

CIMG1669.jpg

Since I have to do oxidize I took an onion (red), a tomato, lemon juice and yogurt in the strawberry.

CIMG1677.jpg

I left them on 50 minutes, then I put them to air for 10 others.

CIMG1680.jpg

the result is different from the first impressions ...
The satin has the same spots, but all slightly more clear.

CIMG1683.jpg

now I'll leave a pool (also under the weather) for a few days ... see what happens

-------- update--------

I washed them five minutes ago.
Here too the satin is better than one in spite of first impressions I had.
warm water and cif cream (kitchen cleaner) have done away the stain of onion, attenuated almost entirely that of the tomato and reduced a lot of yogurt. Only the lemon was darker ... but has improved since the beginning.

CIMG1696.jpg

Last edited:
Back