LEO Wave story

Here is the text of an E-mail I sent to Leatherman today. I was very impressed with my WAVE.

To: Leatherman Tools

Yesterday, I saw something that I have never seen in my 20 years in law Enforcement. We had a driver that was under the influence of something, not sure what strike a light pole, and drive through a chain-link fence. The fence got hung up on the undercarriage of the pickup, and they drug almost 1000 feet of the fence out of the parking lot and across the road before the tension of the fence prevented them going any further. They left several dozen fence posts bent over in their wake, and had a 4-lane road completely blocked when I arrived. We could not back up the truck as it was too wrapped up in the fencing, and the fence was still attached to posts.

I have been carrying your tools for years, using the tools for all kinds of applications, very few directly related to law-enforcement, but mostly in the line of duty. I now carry a WAVE, its primary function has been to keep a spare key to my patrol car handy. I was not sure that it would cut the heavy gauge wire of the fence, but I was desperate to get the lunch-hour traffic moving again. Within 5 minutes, I had cut through the entire 4 foot width of the fence, got the fence out of the street, and had traffic flowing again.

Your tools have proven useful for me before, but my WAVE far exceeded my expectations in this instance. Just thought you’d like to know. Thanks for making such a sturdy product.

Sincerely,

Mark Huntington

Great job! If you hadn't been there, along with your Wave, who knows how long traffic would've been blocked, how many accidents would've been caused, and how many work hours would've been lost!

The only question I have is whether it was an "old style" Wave, or the 2004 Wave?

Thank you for your exemplary service!

GeoThorn

thats a cool story!

I cannot say enough about Leatherman TOOLS!

Great story. I'm thinking of starting to carry a multitool on my duty belt. How do you use your wave to keep your spare key handy? Does it fit in the sheath or do you carry it in a pocket. I've been there--no fun calling a squad mate for a lock-out (almost as bad as calling for a tow for your self).

:foot:

Intruderdriver said:
Great story. I'm thinking of starting to carry a multitool on my duty belt. How do you use your wave to keep your spare key handy? Does it fit in the sheath or do you carry it in a pocket. I've been there--no fun calling a squad mate for a lock-out (almost as bad as calling for a tow for your self).

:foot:

There is a separate pocket inside the sheath meant to store accessory bits, but would hold a spare key quite nicely. :thumbup:

Ah, I see! It's been a while since I looked at multitools. My 1st generation Leatherman sheath wouldn't accomodate a key very well. Good excuse to pick up a new tool! ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Intruderdriver said:
Ah, I see! It's been a while since I looked at multitools. My 1st generation Leatherman sheath wouldn't accomodate a key very well. Good excuse to pick up a new tool! ;)

Thanks for the reply.

why don't you just get a new shealth?

What fun is that? :rolleyes:

I could put a spare key in my pocket if I wanted to.

This gives me an excuse to replace my 12 year old LM PST!

The only question I have is whether it was an "old style" Wave, or the 2004 Wave? Older style, had it for a few years.

Great story. I'm thinking of starting to carry a multitool on my duty belt. How do you use your wave to keep your spare key handy? Does it fit in the sheath or do you carry it in a pocket. It comes with a small lanyard loop? that folds out like a blade. I got a small split ring (key ring maybe 3/8th inch) & put my spare patrol car key on it. It folds out so far that, it allows the key to lay flat along the handles of the WAVE, & it fits into the leather sheath like it was made for that purpose.

I have a new PST. It's in the hands of a leather worker making a new sheath. I recently found a Parrish Survivor (Beater) its been carried & used, a few dings & wear scratches. I'm getting a sheath made for the Parrish with a pocket for the PST and a fire starter. The whole kit will go on my sniper LBE rig.

Stay Safe!

Back