"Lesser" sword as self-defense weapon?

While the "sword as home defense weapon" thread has come up in the past more than once, I was wondering: since a sword used in the home as an expedient self-defense tool (and yes, a gun would be better, but let's assume for the sake of argument that one does not or cannot have a gun for whatever reason) is unlikely to be used against another sword, it would seem to me that many of the "lesser" swords on the market would suffice in this role.

Now, the decorator 440 rat-tails are still as dangerous to the operator as ever, but I'm thinking in terms of the various cheap "full-tang" single-sheet-o'-steel blades out there. Essentially just giant knives, it would seem to me that these present a viable option for self-defense against an intruder, provided they're kept nice and sharp.

Your thoughts?

I'm not convinced that even that is a good idea. The tang is not the only weak point the structure of stainless itself is brittle in sword lengths and prone to breakage. Seems like a kind of unreliable weapon.

There's a post with this title on :

swordforum.com

under "Japanese Swordsmanship"
The gist of it is that 6 men armed with iron bars
entered the house of a guy in Australia for the
purpose of robbery at 12:30 a.m. The resident of
the property used a "Samurai type sword" to defend
himself. One intruder was killed, two others were
wounded. The police have two men in custody and are
seeking the two wounded ones. No charges were filed
against the resident.

Sword 1 Iron bars 0

Don't know about the quality of sword used
in the above scenario.

My carbon steel katana (full tang) from Windlass is able to
lop off mulberry branches with ease. If people in Africa can
kill each other with cheap machetes, cheap swords should be a
step or two up the ladder from that.
The main danger,(and my biggest fear) if I were using it to
defend my life, would be if my "cheap" sword was brittle
and snapped during the conflict.
If I were relying only on a sword for self-defense, I'd save up
and get the best one I could afford. As it is, I simply enjoy practising with the cheap one as a form of exercise and personal
satisfaction.

I'll ditto Scot there!

It always tickles me that people are willing to spend anywhere from 400 to 1000 dollars on a gun for self defense, but when they start talking about a sword for home defense, they want to "go cheap."

If I were in the market to buy a sword for self defense, I'd be willing to spend an awful lot of money making sure I had a GOOD one.
:D

My original question was not really intended to ask whether one would go out of one's way to select such a "lesser" blade, but rather whether or not a blade of this type would function in a self-defense capacity.

razor anything a mind can imagine can is has been or will be used in self defense. of course some objects are easier to use in this capacity than others. So yes a cheap ugly or gaudy peice of steel can be used, as can a plastic toy sword, a baseball bat a fring pan, tools garden implements and even paperclips but when choosing an armoury specifically to be used in the sd capicity, then i would think one would take as much care as possible. My weapon of choice has always been my 5.5 foot ironwood walking staff, and i have used it on ocassion to chase off burglers.

Hey Raz,

Well that's a tough question and unfortunately, the best answer is probably "You never know until you try."

Some of them may work well enough once, some of them literally may snap the tang and send the blade flying the first time you swing it hard, and some of them may snap the blade in half the first time it strikes something with any force to it. There's really no telling short of doing Metal Stress Analysis and Rockwell testing on it after you buy it. (Of course, buying a good sword to start with would be cheaper.)

Best bet is to avoid them entirely and make all your "wall hangers" good quality fighters.
:D

:D The thought occurs to me that all this talk of snapping tangs and flying blades might make these things more effective for self defense. After all isn't a projectile weapon better then an impact one?

The average Paki rust-o-matic sword makes a dandy biological weapon, too.

"Fool! You may have defeated me today, but you'll be dead in mere weeks from the tetanus! Mwah hah hah hah!"

Machetes are a common home defense "sword" in many areas. They are short enough to use in a confined space and cheap and sturdy enough to be readily available and useful. If you really want to use a large edgeweapon for self defense this is probably the way to go. Just re-work the point if you want more penetration.

I use my Paul Chen for home defense. After handling a functional blade it is very easy to tell the difference between that and a wall-hanger even during light practice swings and basic sword manipulation, I agree with the majority here that if you want a reliable home defense weapon go with live steel, but if a wall-hanger is all you have it sure beats the kitchen knife (besides if the blade snaps, you pretty much already have a kitchen knife.:D But if the tang snaps, all you have left is a handle to throw in hopes that you distract your assailant while you bolt to the kitchen for a more dependable weapon:rolleyes: )

I think a sword for home defense is a very viable option. In fact a friend of mine is building a home in a country that frowns on firearms
and will be installing a 20" Criswell Waki as his main self defense tool.

During "Desert Storm" I remember reading how the troops were buying
Harley "Battle ?" and Dawson Waki's for close quarters work.

I have all the Criswells here (except for the Katana, thanks Mr Graley)and I've taken a real liking to the 16" Wakizashi as a compliment to my first line guns. These Criswells are a bargain in
todays world and have proven to be quite tough. No parts flying around off of these.

Regards,
Win Heger
Preferred Edge
908/359-2008

I don't think I'd go with too much of a cheapie. As Win stated, you DO get a lot of bang for your buck with a Criswell. I keep the waki G2 sold me right by my bedpost, and have no qualms re it's usage or reliability if I don't have time to get to my Mossberg 500 or my Colt Mark IV Officer's Model. I have a larger katana "Replica sword", but I'd trust it to a lesser degree than I would the Criswell.

AL

Back