Let me introduce myself with a cheap knife...

Welcome to the forums! This is a really fun and interesting place with a wide variety of personalities and interests. And if you stick around for a bit you will learn a lot about sharp pointy objects of all kinds! One of the most interesting phenomenas that I have noticed from my own experience is the tendency to buy lots of knives.....and I mean lots. The knives already mentioned will probably serve you just fine for a while........but inevitably there will be others and you will like it.:) Have fun!

Peter, it's welcomes like yours that attracted me to these forums. Thank you for that.

I also think you're right about the knives I've picked out; so now I'll stop asking you guys to baby-sit me and trust my own judgement when looking at a knife. I think I've been provided with a solid base of knowledge, now it's time build my own knowledge base through trial and error while wasting as little money as possible ;)

Thanks for your opinions! I'll likely see you in another thread.

If you have your heart set on a Becker knife, you should hold one first since the handles are fairly large(HUGE) for someone with middle-sized hands! Check out "knifeoutlet.com" since they seem to have a good selection at good prices.

Ontario makes a nice little survival machete with a 10" blade and mine works pretty good. It is fairly light but stiff and it has good balance but the canvas sheath sucks.

Cold Steel products are excellent value for the money and there are a lot to choose from for under $100.00, IMHO.

A pretty neat knife I bought out of sheer curiosity was a Lewis International survival knife. It is made in England and it is real stout with a thick 3/16" blade but the sheath is left-handed, I don't know why (I think the British do everything backwards!). This baby looks like it can do some damage on the "woodline"! The handles are heavy-duty plastic slabs and the whole knife just looks and feels robust and utilitarian. It appears to have large-print military ID numbers on one side of the blade so I assume that is who it was made for. The blade is heavy enough for chopping and the wide spear point tip can dig and pry. The edge comes dull from the factory so you have to put in some "elbow grease" to sharpen it up. I put a utility, "chopping" edge on it since that is the most durable type of edge and I tied a wrist cord to it. I haven't taken it to the woods yet but I plan to. However, for $65.00 it seems like a pretty good deal and if it works out I'll have a new "friend".

Keep in mind there are distinct differences between a survival knife and a combat knife. Good luck.

:D

Hey, that sounds like another good lead. I am smallish, but I have big hands for my size. I guess God gave me a pair to match my melon head.

Hey, I don't mind the British way! There are so many knives out there I had to turn down since I'm left-handed. Now if they only learn how to drive and the magic of fluoride.

By the way, what are the major differences between a survival and combat knife? I think I'm more in the market for a survival knife. I just need something that's tough. My main goal is to travel light, so the more versatile the tool the better.

The Becker line is fantastic! If you would like you can search this forum for my review. Also I have ordered from One Stop Knife Shop lots of times and they are very nice to deal with. Fred at Knifeoutlet is alswo a good guy. Roger at www.knifeworks.com is good. E-knifeworks, to me is questionable. I have read stories about bad service, etc. For this reason I have never used them. BTW, keep in mind the Becker line is carbon steel (coated) but it can and may rust. The Fallkniven line is from sweden and istainless and very good. For folders, check out CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool). Please let us know what you get! BTW, welcome to Bladeforums! There is NO HOPE NOW!!!!!

Christ, you're right. I started looking for a knife about a week ago and now I can't stop looking at 'em. Damn you people and your pretty knives.

Here's what I narrowed my list down to:
* Cold Steel Bush Ranger - my personal camping knife (ordered)

* Cold Steel Bushman - One to go in the camper (ordered)

* Becker Brute - A bigger one to go in the camper. Don't look at me like that. It's not overkill, it's "being prepared."

* CRKT Crawford/Kasper or M16 - Seemed to be good price/performance.

* Gerber AR 3.0 - See above (ordered)

* A BM balisong. Hey, I'm Filipino. It's my God-given right.

Down the line, I'd like to get a better EDC and I have to get a Khukuri from HI. I can't stop thinking about 'em. I just need to find the right size/weight that would fit me.

Again, thank you for helping out a beginner. If you guys have any ideas or think these are poor choices, please let me know.

Atomic Zero: The differences I've noticed between survival knives and combat knives are distinct. A survival knife of the same size as a combat knife is usually heavier due to the heavier blade. The point on a combat knife is finer since it must penetrate a person whereas the survival knife needs a thicker, tougher point for prying, digging and/or penetrating hard objects like wood or sheetmetal. Therefore the survival knife has a thicker spine and a wider blade almost to the point. The blades on combat knives are usually hollow-ground to give a sharper edge while a survival knife has a flat or convex grind for durability. Blood grooves are sometimes placed on a combat knife while a survival knife usually has none. The grips are less different but some combat knives have a pointed or flattened "skull crusher" pommel while a survival knife may have a curved pommel (like a machete) for chopping. I haven't been too impressed whith the utility of a tanto-tip blade but it would probably work in a combat knife. There are some knife designs that combine both qualities which sometimes aren't too bad.

However, both knives usually have a subdued finish and durable, utilitarian handles.

There are also hunting knives which have thinner blades and more "belly" and camp knives which appear to be a cross between a survival knife and a hunting knife, IMHO. Both of these types of knives often have polished blades and all kinds of natural and synthetic handles.

These are only my opinions and observations so you should do your own comparisons. It is unlikely you will see hand-to-hand combat in the U.S. woodlines so I would recommend a good, tough, survival knife with a blade under 7". Combat knives are fun to own though. Your choices look good.

Thanks for the explanation, Bravo. That was on of my big questions. To a novice, the two styles look much alike.

I made my decisions along the line of a survival knife; I don't think I'll be doing any stabbing any time soon. Camping in Oklahoma isn't likely to bring up many combat situations. If I do get in a fight, it'll be with my wife. Wait, I may need to be armed after all.

I'll let you guys know how the selections work out.

yeah, being a lefty in a world of righties can be a pain sometimes, but there are a few knives that are designed to be ambidextrous. If you are willing to spend about 100 and maybe a little more you might take a look at the benchmade axis locks. They're pretty sweet. I have a model 940 that i like, but a lot of people here swear by the 710. Spyderco also makes some good ambidextrous folders (mostly lockbacks) Take a look at www.spyderco.com and www.benchmade.com. Hope this helps,

- Pete

oh yeah, if you have any other questions about lefty knives feel free to shoot me an email, there are plenty of other lefty knifeknuts here too.

And welcome to the forums! :D :p :D

I kept that in mind when I was looking for an EDC. I really liked those BM knives you mentioned. The blades are gorgeous. Even better that they're ambidextrous.

Southpaws aren't Satan's children,

I've had several of the Ontario knives and they're not bad. IMHO, Beckers are much better, and Fallknivens are better still, as they are made with VG-10, one of todays premium steels.
In, or just above the price range you are looking at, there are alot of custom makers you could look at as well. Check out Bob Dozier, Greco, Livesay. Or look at "previously owned" at cuttingedge.com for some bargains.

While the BK&T, or Fallkniven will be more than adequate to last your lifetime as your only blade, I think you're in for a surprize! Buying knives is addictive!!! Won't be long till you are posting reviews on the latest addition to your collection, or listing your top five most used custom knives.:D

Jet

Does anyone have knowledge of this particular knife? I am also new to this forum, and have had my eye on this knife for a while. Appears to be a good fixed long bladed knife, with an inexpensive price tag. I've found them on sale for $40.oo. The blade is slightly over 11 inches long and 3/16" thick. A longstanding forum member (who goes by the nickname Silat on IRC not sure about here) has handled one of these and he said it was a good blade, good feel, good handling.
Anyone else have 1st hand knowledge of this knife ? I am either going to buy this one, or a coldsteel peacekeeper (I have a peacekeeper 2, want a knife now with a longer blade), unless someone hear has some better suggestions.

Thanx

Jimmy:

I WAS going to try to just get 2-3 really solid camp knives I could keep forever, but the knife bug has bitten hard. I've spent the last seven days looking up everything knife. I even made a damn spreadsheet. I've crossed over into "hobby" territory, and I'm scared.

I just got the Bush Ranger and the Bushman, and I'm happy. I did a little "testing" with them (and trees) and they held up great. I think I'll get a Magnum Camp and an S1 before moving to the dangerous world of folders.

Billy Ray, I'm sure someone will help you out here. My experiences so far with this forum have been extremely positive.

Back