Let Watch Battery Die and Just Use Cell Phone?

I wear a Casio Data Bank 150 - I've worn it for years. It's been a great watch. Before it I had an almost identical Casio Data Bank 50, it never died, I just upgraded.
CASDB150S.jpg

The only problem with the watch for me is replacing the battery. Say it's $10 once a year an an hour out of my life to go to a watch repair store and have it replaced. No big deal right?

Well, I'm starting to think I should just let the battery die. Let's be honest, my cell phone can do everything the watch can, and a lot more. Show the time? Check. Stop watch? Check. Calculator? Check. Store a lot of phone numbers? Check. But my phone is also a phone, a radio, a camera, a game machine, you get the idea.

So, why should I spend time and money to keep my wrist watch going? I even have a Casio Tough Solar watch I bought as a back-up a few years ago I can wear - I haven't had to replace the batteries on that watch once yet (does it even have a battery?) It would also be one jess thing to carry. What do you guys think? Has the wrist watch gone the way of the vacuum tube? Have many of you guys already ditched your watches?

Seldom wear a watch anymore. Cell phone keeps good time. One less thing to keep up with.

I always wear a watch but forget to bring the cell phone with me sometimes... to each his own.

Let the battery die. All your reasons are valid.

Then buy a GOOD mechanical watch and enjoy only the time from a historical perspective. Travel back while you go forward.

Coop

That watch reminds me of something I had in grade school...

Toss it and get an auto. Rather have a watch on my wrist than have to take my cell outta my pockets 1000x a day.

So, why should I spend time and money to keep my wrist watch going?

Convenience. Its easier to look at your wrist than to dig out a cell phone and wake it up. Same reason we carry a folder and a SAK. The folder is right there and deploys like lightning. Bam! Same thing with the watch.

Gshock....is your cell phone waterproof? Is it easier to look at your wrist then dig your phone out of your pocket? Can you wear a cell phone to bmt? And what happens if your phone runs out of battery?

My timex ironman watch band broke. Just like they all do after a few years (I still think they are great watches). This time I didn't buy another one and just use my cell phone. I think the watch is more convenient but I have my phone 90% of the time (and 99% of the time when what time it is matters) so I didn't see the need to spend the money. If I did anything "hard" like diving or skiing or if I still ran I'd have a watch.

My 21 year old son likely will never own a watch (or have a land line) unless he gets into fancy watches or needs a durable watch for something like diving.

Gshock....is your cell phone waterproof? Is it easier to look at your wrist then dig your phone out of your pocket? Can you wear a cell phone to bmt? And what happens if your phone runs out of battery?

I always wear a watch but forget to bring the cell phone with me sometimes... to each his own.

This. I'll buy a watch and wear it till it dies - it literally never comes off, not for sleep, shower, etc. I can't forget it or misplace it, and the battery life on a watch is roughly 1000x greater than that of my phone so I don't have to worry about my clock's battery dying because I played too many games on it.

It's kind of like that second knife most of us carry - sure, we don't need two, but why not have a backup?

And then there's my pocket watch... That's just for showing off :cool:

I seldom use my cell phone but always use my watch. My cell is just a Pay as you go and only for emergency use. My watch is used because at night it is hard to read the big watch in the sky when it goes down.:D

I like wearing and collecting watches so I have a watch with me more than I have my cellphone. Sometimes I go for a day or two and never turn on my cellphone.

PS- why don't you change your own watch batteries? It isn't that tough and you can buy them on the internet for a dollar or two apiece.

I don't usually leave my cellphone on when I'm in the outdoors... watched a movie last night where I kept looking at my watch to see what time it is...

I've thought about it. But taking my phone in and out of my pocket constantly seems like a pain. Plus I'm on it so much it's always dying .I compared that with a simple flick of the wrist and realized I like my watch.

I've worn a wrist watch so long that if I take it off to use a pocket watch or cell phone, I keep looking at my wrist.

No clue where my cell phone is lying at the moment, but my watch is always on my wrist.
Much quicker to look at when you wake up at night, too
And a nice watch is much classier than a cell phone IMHO

This. I'll buy a watch and wear it till it dies - it literally never comes off, not for sleep, shower, etc. I can't forget it or misplace it, and the battery life on a watch is roughly 1000x greater than that of my phone so I don't have to worry about my clock's battery dying because I played too many games on it.

It's kind of like that second knife most of us carry - sure, we don't need two, but why not have a backup?

And then there's my pocket watch... That's just for showing off :cool:

So you actually wear your watch 24/7? Doesn't it start to smell?

So you actually wear your watch 24/7? Doesn't it start to smell?

I wear mine almost 24/7
I only take it off when I'm in the shower.

It doesn't smell, although I have rubber strap, and a steel bracelet on the two watches I switch between

I don't have a cell-phone, so I wear a watch...A Citizen Eco-Drive "Ecozilla" dive watch.

Back