Let's discuss this axe head

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I picked up this 4lb TT KELLY WORKS handmade at a neighbors yardsale yesterday, I'd like to tell you what I think then be corrected by someone who knows better :D

I'm thinking on the later side maybe 60's with the shallower convex to the cheeks, I'm thinking reversable pattern, and I have no clue where the Handmade line falls but I'm assuming between Woodslasher and perfect.
Definitely closer to the perfect side because it appears to have been finished fairly well.

Thats what I think, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
I would think it's obviously a throwback stamp for marketing, and probably the same thing as a Flint Edge, Dynamic, Vulcan, Lippincott, etc of the same vintage (I would guess late 50's/60's, too). And an insanely cool score!
You know I've wondered what kind of laws regard the use of the word " Handmade " on something that isn't.

I was certainly happy to find it, when I looked at it on Saturday I saw nothing but after paying the $5 for it yesterday I instantly saw the stamp which is weird.
Maybe It was fate that I wasn't supposed to know what I was missing if he decided not to sell it to me :D

I'd say pre 60's, but I could be wrong. Half peeling or redwood pattern, pretty good quality.
That's definitely the closest I could get on the charts.the Brandt and Cochran sure actually has the best quality chart with the depictions that closely resemble what most examples really look like, but it only depicts a small number of patterns.
boy I tell ya Michigan's Dayton's and Jersey's are easy to spot a mile away but most other patterns can be pretty damn hard to identify.

Have only seen a couple peeling patterns and they had pretty thin convex cheeks .Would think earlier than 60s with the lack of ridges in the eye.
It's certainly a possibility, I knew some patterns just had thinner cheeks than others but figured it was probably a long shot with this one.

Back