Let's Get a Handle on This!

I can certainly appreciate the fine examples of engraving, carving, inlays and wire-wrap in this thread to elevate a piece. :cool:
For now, this is about as fancy as I get.
Fitch stag fighter, pics by Gary Graley. :)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Doug

I LOVE this Bill Buxton knife; it is beautiful and feels perfect in the hand.
Buxtonsideshotbuttsheath.jpg

Buxtonknifeleafapples2.jpg

Pretty much any Walter Brend does it for me.... Every single knife I've ever held of his just felt like it melted into your hand.....

MT

Pretty much any Walter Brend does it for me.... Every single knife I've ever held of his just felt like it melted into your hand.....
MT

Mark, that's a very good way to describe when a handle's "just right".

Handle length was mentioned in another thread. Thought it would be interesting to see what folk's desired handle length is. 4-3/4"-5/8" works great for me.

Here's couple more handles that IMO, offer a combination of beauty and ergonomics.

NLT_235_06_pointseven-1.jpg

JERRYFISKPresentationMilitaryEng-1.jpg

Mark, that's a very good way to describe when a handle's "just right".

Handle length was mentioned in another thread. Thought it would be interesting to see what folk's desired handle length is. 4-3/4"-5/8" works great for me.

Here's couple more handles that IMO, offer a combination of beauty and ergonomics.

NLT_235_06_pointseven-1.jpg

I especially like the engraving on the guard. That is one of my favorite Fisk's.

Handle length of 4-3/4" - 5" works well for me, but what I consider more a determining factor is how it fills my hand. Some knives just give a feeling that it is an extension of my hand.

Peter

some more interesting handles and knives

Jim Sornberger -- Pink Ivory wood and lapis

orig.jpg

Mike Alsdorf -- Tiger Coral

orig.jpg

Ron Best -- integral carved

orig.jpg

Charles Roulin - carved integral sheep

orig.jpg

D'Holder -- My Knife -- ivory, oosic, red amber

orig.jpg

Jerry Corbit -- BLP, gold pins, rubies and damascus bolsters

orig.jpg

Jerry Lairson -- Stag with matching carved guard and butt in bronze

orig.jpg

Harumi Hiryama -- African Blackwood with many inlays

orig.jpg

Kyle Royer -- cracalure Mammoth Ivory framed handle of Micro Fighter

orig.jpg

Bob Crowder -- Price style Bradford Bowie with Tiger Iron scales

orig.jpg

Bob Crowder -- Price style Bradford Bowie with Tiger Iron scales

What's Tiger Iron? Never seen it before.

This is my favorite handle of 2008:

IMG_0865.jpg

Walnut burl and Reindeer horn. Made by Gert Van Den Elsen.

And my second favorite:

IMG_0929.jpg

Leather, bronze, nickel silver and Sambar. Made by Gudy Van Poppel.

Kind regards,

Jos

Last edited:
I especially like the engraving on the guard. That is one of my favorite Fisk's.

Handle length of 4-3/4" - 5" works well for me, but what I consider more a determining factor is how it fills my hand. Some knives just give a feeling that it is an extension of my hand.

Peter

Thanks Peter.
It's engraved on the blade side of the guard as well. It has the most engraving on any Fisk to date.
202070639_050ceeae5e_b.jpg

Someone told me this guy Don Hanson made some nice handles ;). Haven't seen many on this thread yet though. Anyone have any? :D

Last edited:
IMG_0929.jpg

Leather, bronze, nickel silver and Sambar. Made by Gudy Van Poppel.

Kind regards,

Jos

Dude, I just am in love with this knife:thumbup: Never get sick of seeing it. That handle is totally awesome.

I LOVE this Bill Buxton knife; it is beautiful and feels perfect in the hand.
Buxtonsideshotbuttsheath.jpg

Suz- I'd love to see some 'macro' shots of some of those delicious Begg folders you have!:) That man cranks out beauty handles.

And, Anton, if you're out there somewhere, this thread is screaming for some nice close up shots of Mayo handle beauty! Got Timascus? heheh

Man, Ron Best's knives never cease to amaze me... He does what I would call "fine" work....

I was told by Glenn Marshall a long time ago that "the sharp edges should be on the steel, not the handle... It can look sharp, but always have every handle surface rounded if the knife is to be used at any time, and they all are"...

At any rate, that just stuck with me and I try to never send out a knife with anything that will gouge you or catch on you. It can be a hard line sometimes though to get what you are trying to have a knife look like and having the correct ergonomics....

MT

Tiger iron has layers of tiger eye sandwiched between layers of red jasper and hematite. The contrasting layers of yellow tiger eye with red jasper and dark, shiny hematite makes it a very attractive stone. Tiger iron polishes with cerium and tin oxides and diamond.

also check out the Bailey Bradshaw folder thread -- his tiger iron looks a bit different from the material I chose for Bob to make the Bradshaw from.

Tiger iron has layers of tiger eye sandwiched between layers of red jasper and hematite. The contrasting layers of yellow tiger eye with red jasper and dark, shiny hematite makes it a very attractive stone. Tiger iron polishes with cerium and tin oxides and diamond.

also check out the Bailey Bradshaw folder thread -- his tiger iron looks a bit different from the material I chose for Bob to make the Bradshaw from.

Thanks for the explanation Murray!

Kind regards,

Jos

I will go any day with Wolfgang Loerchner's "Plain" steel handles....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

picture.JPG

I like your humor David.:D It is astounding how Wolfgang Loerchner accomplishes his art with the minimal amount of tools.

I really like the collaboration he did with Ron Lake on a couple of Lake designed folders.

Peter

Back