Let's Have An Auction for Ray!

As most of you know Raymond Richard had a terrible misfortune last weekend. His shop burned to the ground and he lost almost everything. Fortunately his family and home came through okay, so let's count our blessings.

Meanwhile, we've been thinking about how we can help Ray get back to work. ;) Can't have idle hands! That's just trouble. :D

Chuck Bybee and Nick Wheeler have suggested that we put an auction together. All proceeds from donated knives will go to help Ray put his shop back together.

We haven't put all the details together yet but here's what we have so far.

Chuck will take photos of the knives and provide some web space for the pictures and auction details. We'll accept blind bids through the weekend of September 30th. Knives need to arrive at Chuck's by September 23rd so he can get pictures posted. Knives in the retail price range of $150 - $350 are probably ideal.

Anyone interested in providing a knife for auction please contact Chuck Bybee, Nick Wheeler or me. We'll know more over the next couple of days how this is going to play out but be assured that your donation will go to getting one of our best back into production.

We also need help keeping everything organized from anyone interested in helping out. Just contact one of us to see what's happening. We're going to need help keeping track of bids, addresses, all that stuff.

More soon, and thanks for all of the offers so far! You folks are great.

Thank you Dave! :)

Personally, I think my heart skipped a few beats when I saw Ray's post. It's absolutely one of the worst things that could happen to a Bladesmith.

Ray has always been quick to help here, and deserves some help to get back to the forge. I don't know Ray real well, but enough to know he would not come in here and ask for help.

But WE CAN HELP.

So let's do it. There's a strong belt of knifemakers here... and that's a damn good place to start. :)

-Nick-

I felt physically sick when I read Ray's post. I feel fortunate to be part of this community and I want to help Ray.

We are working in the background to get the auction going. As soon as we have more information it will be posted here.

BTW-

I really want to thank Dave, Chuck and the rest of his team, Brenda and Jessica. While I wanted to help, these fine folks are the ones that really got the ball rolling. :)

I'm here to try and help.

-Nick-

Thanks fellows for organizing this so quickly. I'm in -- let me know if you need anything else from me.

Oh, great! I was going to do this anyway, just on my own, so it's good to see a formal approach being done. Plus that later date gives me some time to actually make a knife, which is good! :) If I can do two I will, otherwise you can count on me for one, for sure. Thanks for organizing this, guys.

This is a great idea. I was looking around my shop thinking of what I could send Ray as a care pakage, but thought he might end up with 50 boxes of the same kind of stuff and no place to put it.This way he can take the $$$$ and get what he wants.
Count me in.
Mace

I'm in!!

I'd like to donate to the auction.

1 KMG-PL grinder shipped to the winning bidder in the Lower 48 US states.

kmg-pl5.jpg

It is a humble contribution for a worthy cause!

Sincerely,
Rob

Nick or Chuck, when you read this post email me. I have several knives ready to ship. Let me know when and where to send one. I will give you the specs of the knife in an email. Anytime you're ready for one just give me a shout.
Scott

One other note, I have some factory pieces I can send your way. They may not bring as much $$ but every little bit will help. If you can use them let me know. ;)
Scott

I'm planning on making a knife for the auction if I have time. If not, I have a knife that I finished a week or two ago and will send it instead. Just need to know where Chuck wants them sent to?
Fill me in with details and I'll get one on the way. Really appreciate you guys organizing this. I think it will be more productive than all of us trying to do it individually.

Ill get working on a knife. This is a super idea.

WOW, Rob your good people. I hope that grinder goes for a grundle.

Shane

I would like to help ray out with the hours iam working at this time i cant get a knife done But i could donate some Damascus if any one would like to make something with it
Sam Fogler

You guys are great!

The response has been much bigger than I imagined. As a result I'll make a new website with is own web domain just for the auction.

Our daughter Jessica was going to photograph the knives. Mitch Lum stepped up and said he would do the photography!

As soon as we have more of the details worked out we will post more information. Until then keep your donation knives Ren-waxed. ;)

Thank You everyone for your support.

Ain't life good? ........... You guys bring tears to my eyes.

Bless you all.......

Robert

As a beginner with an unfinished shop I'm not likely to have anything worth selling made in time. Looks like I'll just have to contribute by buying one or two :D

Dan Pierson

samf said:
I would like to help ray out with the hours iam working at this time i cant get a knife done But i could donate some Damascus if any one would like to make something with it
Sam Fogler

I would love to make a knife to donate with your damascus. I have some great exibition grade Olive wood and redwood lace burl I can put on it. Maybe i can even customize it to the buyers specs? Blade shape, file work bolster, etc.

Buyer lets me know the shape he wants and the handle material and I make the knife and send it out.

Let me know what you think.

Adam
It sound like a good deal to me Ill call you or email you to find out what size you need
Sam Fogler

Back