Lets see #1

Hey Andy lets see the beginning! The very first Andy Roy. How many did you make before you sold one and how many before you started convexing. I know that you said it took something like 400 (which I am sure was a exaggeration) for you to master the sabre convex but just wondering when you started convexing

Hey Andy lets see the beginning! The very first Andy Roy. How many did you make before you sold one and how many before you started convexing. I know that you said it took something like 400 (which I am sure was a exaggeration) for you to master the sabre convex but just wondering when you started convexing

His first knife has been posted here somewhere, I believe it was a Nessie.

I still have my first knife. I'll get you a pic tomorrow. It was convexed. Did it on a bench grinder. It was intended to be a pukko. I did a few more that I do have pics of. Some forged, some ground.

andy_3-vi.jpg

I sold my 6th. It was one of a batch of 6 Nessmuks. Sold 5 and gave one away.

Dness82-vi.jpg

The next batch of 6 were sold, and included my first Bushcrafter.

Asc75-vi.jpg

I'll try to get a pic of the first tomorrow. :thumbup:

Cool pictures. The level of refinement from then to your current knives is inspiring!

This is the first knife I ever made.

Numberone100_3324-vi.jpg

Numberone100_3325-vi.jpg

I followed along with Sylvrfalcn doing one of his Po-Boy Puukko's in the HI section. If you want to see the best of what there is on Bladeforums, do a search and read what Sarge posted here. He got me started making knives and sheaths. I still own three of his knives too. And when I think I know how to make knives, I just look at his and get back to work.

Looks a lot different than the knives you make today Andy. Is that a stick tang and epoxied in? John gave me a Helle blank and told me to handle it but I'm still trying to decide how I am going to do that. I have this image in my head of an antler "guard" and stacked wood instead of stacked leather but I'm trying to decide which woods.

Thanks Andy, that is amazing in what you have accomplished in a few shorts years and how you have become one of the most sought after custom knife makers in a short time. Congrats.

Mist, two methods. 1. Use scales and a spacer the thickness of the tang. Thats the easiest! Flatten the scales, pick your spacer (wood is easiest) cut out shape of tang and glue to one scale, then glue on other scale. So easy.

2. make a mortice in material for the tang to fit in. Epoxy up.

I've learned to make knives here at Bladeforums, and at Ramanon dot com. Surrounded by lots of influences beginning with the HI crowd. Sylvrfalcn, Steve Ferguson, Yvsa, and Hollowdweller. Matt Bailey really influenced my handles. Later, lots from Dan Koster, and Scott Gossman, Bl Goode, Tom Krein, Ray Laconico. I constantly chase Ray Laconico. I hope to be a maker of his caliber one day.

From the masters, Bruce Bump, Raymond Richard, Nick Wheeler, and J. Neilson stand out.

Ha! Interesting thread link, Kismet! Apparently, even Andy had to put his pants on one leg at a time back in the day! Of course, he's way past that now. :)

Thanks for posting that link Kismet. I didn't know what Sarge's user name was and was having trouble finding that thread through search. Cool read that definitely makes me want to try and make a puukko!

Back