Lets see some Hinderer action

Question for all you Hinderer folks.
Any pro and or cons to going full ti on a xm-18?
I guess cool factor is a pro to many, weight a con to lots…

What else am I missing?

Thanks
Good question. For me it’s entirely aesthetic. Curious what others think. I actually prefer g10 on a user. That said, on a skinny model with the newer style ti scale with some milling relief the weight loss isn’t really a factor, I think the full ti is only 0.1 oz heavier.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
If you get the milled Ti scales you won't increase the weight. It does give them a different feel. I go through times I prefer my Ti and other times I prefer micarta. G10 isn't big on my scale preference usually but even the G10 on these works for me.

I think it still comes down to personal preference.

What else am I missing?

Thanks

With a milled scale the weight is basically the same as G10 + liner.

Main con for me is scratching the Ti scale when putting the knife down during work - say when you are under a car.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
Most titanium handles are not as grippy...so that may be a consideration, especially in cold or wet weather.

Most titanium handles are not as grippy...so that may be a consideration, especially in cold or wet weather.
This is true. The working finish textured ones aren't too bad, but for grip you can't really beat the textured Micarta.

Full Ti is awesome IMO... I like the milled and textured ti version for grip and weight... but I really think the full ti takes these up a notch!

d8QgtJzh.jpg

I'll add the obvious con: $$. A RHK ti scale costs a full ti fframelock folder of other quality brands.

I haven't tried a titanium scale on xm-18. But based on ZT0562TI, I'd say looking is #1 pro (see photoman pictures above). However, I don't think that the ti scale (smooth or textureed) is more comfortable, grippier, and more useful than the factory g10 scale.

What else am I missing?

Thanks

I have one Hinderer that is full titanium. It is a smooth working finish 3.5 skinny sheep's foot. I have used that knife a lot at work and home when my hands have been covered in oil and hydraulic fluid. I have not had any grip issues with it at all.
One thing that is really nice about the titanium is how easy it cleans up when it gets dirty. Oil and gunk just wipes right off.
The full titanium definitely does change the way the knife feels, as others have mentioned.

I have one Hinderer that is full titanium. It is a smooth working finish 3.5 skinny sheep's foot. I have used that knife a lot at work and home when my hands have been covered in oil and hydraulic fluid. I have not had any grip issues with it at all.
One thing that is really nice about the titanium is how easy it cleans up when it gets dirty. Oil and gunk just wipes right off.
The full titanium definitely does change the way the knife feels, as others have mentioned.
The clean up part was something I was thinking would be a positive as well. I decided that I would just have to see for myself. I scoured the internet looking for a Battle Bronze Ti scale. Actually found one in stock at DLT and its on its way to me now. I love everything about this knife other then the cheap plastic feel of the G10.

The clean up part was something I was thinking would be a positive as well. I decided that I would just have to see for myself. I scoured the internet looking for a Battle Bronze Ti scale. Actually found one in stock at DLT and its on its way to me now. I love everything about this knife other then the cheap plastic feel of the G10.
I think that you will like the titanium scales. Glad you were able to find what you were looking for :thumbsup:

What else am I missing?

Thanks
I honestly can’t tell any meaningful difference in weight—it was a heavy knife before and still is. It looks awesome, and the action actually improved a little bit. It went from great to amazing, haha.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
Just my personal opinion but going to the full ti on my XM-18 made it feel like a totally different knife. The weight difference was very minor, but it elevated the feel of the knife (for me at least) in a big way. I always liked the knife a lot, but now (in full ti) I'd say I really love it.

The g10 scales are super functional, but they just don't exude the same quality feel as full titanium.

Last edited:
This thing is really growing on me. You read so much about lousy action, rough finish, doesnt slice well, horrible detent…

Maybe I got lucky but this thing is awesome! Its old school running on teflon. Opens with authority, rock solid lock up and I mean rock solid, absolutely no blade play and blade is perfectly centered. Opens fantastic in gloves with both hands. Sharp as hell and has sliced open every thing Ive asked it too Including a couple sandbags full of coarse gravel that one of my guys was going to go get a utility knife for because he didnt want to trash his new fancy carbon fiber bugout…
I honestly would put it up against any CRK I have owned ( Sebenza, Mnandi , Umnumzaan ) in everything except that Chris Reeve “ Feel”. That whatever it is, that classy smooth precision, that fine tuned instrument feel.
This thing is a monster that I would never worry about doing whatever needs done with it. That’s not to say its not a finely built tool. Its very much a well designed and manufactured knife with very good tolerances to do what it needs to do. A real work knife that gives a bit of comfort knowing its in your pocket. Its very much over kill for me in the office and made for the shop and the street. However I find that after a few days of carry Ive stopped taking it out of my pocket when I get to the office and grabbing it when heading across to the shop…
Its a keeper and I am a fan
View attachment 1730448

Last edited:
This thing is really growing on me. You read so much about lousy action, rough finish, doesnt slice well, horrible detent…

Maybe I got lucky but this thing is awesome! Its old school running on teflon. Opens with authority, rock solid lock up and I mean rock solid, absolutely no blade play and blade is perfectly centered. Opens fantastic in gloves with both hands. Sharp as hell and has sliced open every thing Ive asked it too Including a couple sandbags full of coarse gravel that one of my guys was going to go get a utility knife for because he didnt want to trash his new fancy carbon fiber bugout…
I honestly would put it up against any CRK I have owned ( Sebenza, Mnandi , Umnumzaan ) in everything except that Chris Reeve “ Feel”. That whatever it is, that classy smooth precision, that fine tuned instrument feel.
This thing is a monster that I would never worry about doing whatever needs done with it. That’s not to say its not a finely built tool. Its very much a well designed and manufactured knife with very good tolerances to do what it needs to do. A real work knife that gives a bit of comfort knowing its in your pocket. Its very much over kill for me in the office and made for the shop and the street. However I find that after a few days of carry Ive stopped taking it out of my pocket when I get to the office and grabbing it when heading across to the shop…
Its a keeper and I am a fan
View attachment 1730448

I have lots of Gen4 with perfect action ... just a couple with weak detent/slow flip. I think there was a change early in the Gen4 production, also changing the shape of the stop pin.

Plus the Harpoon helps (more weight in the front).

Great knife there !

Back