Let's See Your Osprey Knife & Tool Mamushi (Bushcraft; EDC; Utility; Adventure Knife)

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
One of my favorite designs by Chris is the Mamushi. The blade resonates with my sense of aesthetics and also my intended philosophy of use for a knife of this size.

Components of the ideal bushcraft knife discussed by Mors Kochanski in his book, Bush Craft, include that the length of the blade is approximate in length to the palm of your hand, not including the thumb, and that the curvature of the blade extends along the entire cutting length. The Mamushi certainly meets these criteria.

pt1j6Hx.jpg

However, in contrast to many bushcraft knives, there is a deep and distinctive notch for the index finger and a prominent, squared integral guard... features you may find on knives used for a purpose that necessitates security of grip.

6OeNUzo.jpg

These hybrid characteristics are most fitting, given the blade's inspiration:

The knife is named after the Japanese Pit Viper (Japanese Mamushi), Gloydius blomhoffii, which is described as a venomous ambush predator...

Natural-Japan.net said:

Tech Specs:

The particular specimen that I have been able to isolate is 7 and 3/4" long.

The cutting edge is 3 and 5/16".

Steel is 1/8" (.125") hammer-textured CPM154, tapering down to .03" at the bottom of the tang.

At the thinnest point in the index finger notch, the width of the handle is .82". The widest point of the handle is .92". The width of the integral guarded area is 1.24".

The weight of this mamushi is 4 oz. The edge is 19 degrees per side, which is very close to how it was received by Chris. It was, and is, extremely sharp.

Natural canvas micarta lines the steel, and a double-pinstripe layout outlines the bookmatched buckeye burl with orange striping and the tangerine Shadetree Custom Composites burlap with white striping.

Photos:

I was able to find some time to relax and take it out to the range with me this afternoon:

edWkXi9.jpg

tPDdNiu.jpg

56YYLo5.jpg

mhntwOw.jpg

.03" tapered tang:

pSmfrFv.jpg

Featured with a custom sheath by Diomedes Industries. The "B" was stamped on the dangler, to our specifications, as a family marker.

s4rJ31a.jpg

Although at first the curvature of the blade reminded me of the Fiddleback Forge Bushboot, one of my favorites from their catalogue, I soon realized that the Osprey Knife & Tool Mamushi was in its own domain. The blade shape is quite distinct, as are the contours of the handle. The attributes that lend to work in the woods as well as defensive use are very appealing to me, and they are complimented by the maker's obvious talent that manifests here in the grind and in the symmetry and alignment of handle materials.

Overall, I consider the Mamushi a possible *bushcraft knife, EDC blade, adventure knife, utility blade, last ditch defense knife, woods wandering tool* that is representative of Chris Linton's remarkable advancement as a knifemaker over the last couple of years.

I encourage readers here to post up pictures and/or their evaluation of the mamushi. For those who do not have one, yet, I encourage you to take a second look and tune in on the Thursday sales threads.

Last edited:
Now that's a nice combo! And when you say Chris's knives are sharp, you're not kidding!

- Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarrett, that is some fine writing you've laid down.... and sweet pictures to boot.... I have to admit that the times I've seen a mamushi offered by Chris on Thursdays I didn't spend much time admiring it as I had others in his lineup. And now that I have another of his pieces I can get a better idea from your details of what that might look like and feel like in my hand.

Jarrett, that is some fine writing you've laid down.... and sweet pictures to boot.... I have to admit that the times I've seen a mamushi offered by Chris on Thursdays I didn't spend much time admiring it as I had others in his lineup. And now that I have another of his pieces I can get a better idea from your details of what that might look like and feel like in my hand.

Thank you, sir. Consider this post as my response to your request for specifications on this knife :p

Nice to see that GP100 is that the Match version?

Nice to see that GP100 is that the Match version?

It's the good old KGP-141 model. I was able to compliment it with the checkered rubber that comes on the Wiley Clapp version, courtesy of Ruger, as well as olivewood from Chad and Cindy at Chig's Grips.

Great thread Jarrett, I enjoyed your photography and reading about the Mamushi from your perspective, It pleases me to know you get enjoyment form your Mamushi. Thank you for sharing you pictures and thoughts. Hopefully somemore members can contribut to this thread soon.

Good stuff. I have not looked at this particular model through the lens of what someone like Mors K. sees in a bush blade. I use mine as a typical day to day knife, but will definitely consider taking it along on a future hike or outing on the mountain.

Great photos. I hope to add to this thread, the Mamushi is a winner. Your particular knife is a very nice example. I love the blend of natural and synthetic and Chris always does a excellent job with the accents.

Cool write-up Jarrett. I appreciate your observations and perspective about how versatile this knife is for you. It doesn't hurt that you have such a beautiful example with burlap and burl wood married together with Chris' amazing double compound liners. Your photos are very well done in how they capture the colors and details of the knife.

I have never owned a Fiddleback Bushboot, but I can see what you are talking about with the downward tilted blades of similar shapes. Beyond that similarity, the handle design of the Mamushi is much more appealing to me with flowing curves on the pommel end as opposed to the sharper corners on the Bushboot. Even though I don't own a Mamushi yet, the handle of the Trail Hand I have looks very similar to it in size and shape. That is enough to sell me on the utility of the Mamushi with its longer pointier blade.

Thanks for sharing thoughts on the Mamushi. I already wanted one of my own, but your post further stokes the fire of desire. I look forward to getting one in tapered 3/32" with a synthetic handle some time soon I hope.

Phil

Last edited:
I've had my Mamushi for about a month now. I've grown very fond of this little blade. The construction and ergonomics are superb. I've just started to EDC it on the weekends, as I've found that a good way to highlight differences vs. others that I carry regularly. As Phil above, I love the pommel and feel in the hand. I haven't developed strong opinions yet, other than I'd like to try several of Chris' other models - specifically the Raptor, the Trail Hand and the Ranger.

vJ5tlXGG2ctoOE4QMyWbbd1EHNu2U0yjBg8ib9GOnFF1G-Ogm13B_eJRjwtMWk84P8rVsB1o5AD5XjMo3qe73b34p7rWA2nxHdrlVhGqKm6N99ximmnqZEAVdTOa-EUDM4gCHgVqCTCWRs2RS58rQGb0jDVX6lrJf-hNrNR4JsFnxSqlZj68Scd6iL3SMeyikuay7zB2_HfoFGYu3PW1xrw1F5xWWV3Gh8UnxFiaTsjA7AiT0j7MFNBbwgL1RpR21Wnpv1y6uS6lElPb-DljNUe5wEwwRGOd1gIuPSozUsHPrqMNZMp57cKWUUByYonSMjQoUqUXp6Tm-G96q3H3YYFBIcdWynRzbimrhk6MEJsSnXtDwi1oJ8xsSAfAMaq513Xomabs3_XxZ9LGdwgcrxAAuBNZRBA4WbfOA7BpwU-bep44QszPW5gpIk2sJjSVogdWjcNmrOJfZ2HxS2wTd810ZN0a9SdIxxOBTm9fD2U-90QlAc2-g7M2U2ZVwGQUsY007_XUapdLocd0xVWZX9JMWxgc5Ic3cR0ctJfIfF3NAo6fMZ6a56RZMC_I6OpEvCkN9PfYPddq0nP_R3I-weo_lk94mXZnfwB9s9CNnTwiyggE=w1024-h619-no

aT1HToLP-4WtvBtDKpWQzLlpPlNpE7-MfxO1A6YM2L4LxbgVrJMHMv2VjsSnClC56EDwiFlW7eaMHghhZDUGp35kbvYy6UeMlwCSAolacIoR61uh_hF8Eg6jlgpHXxGTEkhejg0DzWjIlh6MeoSsIQjRLwnmqGvy4FwXERbcK1Emdr0tmOZyXMNqfnL6KYQTxuV7eFdPWwWGa3z6UNUIxQEoiBgwhuEnlHRM_HFyrdxLQdkZSWKe_bqET8tPPPR-Y4pHCZiXpQEvR-MMalbr5JjbUDAwTMkdiCOamXApZwSendajvfwr53X-tZ2DUY1-DVNp3WmuvYDjbQpj2V42LY5hGeoWgDnEoYS_LXZz6g5boPr7yx_-6Nx7d6Tjvq0dzpjwRo-3r8xk0-Tyqv2d8CfQu_jeK0pevCe46UhnqYBQ7jLKcoOZg2vXDHPYPpJM6dNy9zfVTO-xPTKZt1YKy9XJV5-gP4JfhwqAWaVDqztXPeS_VpMAibA8950vV1qc-jUw47Jc_z3yvHJCYCgfaiXrvmrXVald3SN5YskX_mfmj8z5xdNJO4ljUsFmNNifBp2UAKpfDq1pUGmOr4ggstOXuPHADxeTft5Jyl0xlkTTgX7G=w1024-h573-no

Good stuff. I have not looked at this particular model through the lens of what someone like Mors K. sees in a bush blade. I use mine as a typical day to day knife, but will definitely consider taking it along on a future hike or outing on the mountain.

Great photos. I hope to add to this thread, the Mamushi is a winner. Your particular knife is a very nice example. I love the blend of natural and synthetic and Chris always does a excellent job with the accents.

I expect it will be quite versatile for bushcraft. I would not pry with the tip (which holds true for most knives), however, it should featherstick competitively.

Cool write-up Jarrett. I appreciate your observations and perspective about how versatile this knife is for you. It doesn't hurt that you have such a beautiful example with burlap and burl wood married together with Chris' amazing double compound liners. Your photos are very well done in how they capture the colors and details of the knife.

I have never owned a Fiddleback Bushboot, but I can see what you are talking about with the downward tilted blades of similar shapes. Beyond that similarity, the handle design of the Mamushi is much more appealing to me with flowing curves on the pommel end as opposed to the sharper corners on the Bushboot. Even though I don't own a Mamushi yet, the handle of the Trail Hand I have looks very similar to it in size and shape. That is enough to sell me on the utility of the Mamushi with its longer pointier blade.

Thanks for sharing thoughts on the Mamushi. I already wanted one of my own, but your post further stokes the fire of desire. I look forward to getting one in tapered 3/32" with a synthetic handle some time soon I hope.

Phil

Great comments. I do not know how to apply the physics of it in a technical way, but it feels like the curvature adds leverage and power to the cut.

I agree about the handle. I am also one that favors functional guards, whether integral or fitted, which is a design component that invalidates the bushboot comparison.

I've had my Mamushi for about a month now. I've grown very fond of this little blade. The construction and ergonomics are superb. I've just started to EDC it on the weekends, as I've found that a good way to highlight differences vs. others that I carry regularly. As Phil above, I love the pommel and feel in the hand. I haven't developed strong opinions yet, other than I'd like to try several of Chris' other models - specifically the Raptor, the Trail Hand and the Ranger.

vJ5tlXGG2ctoOE4QMyWbbd1EHNu2U0yjBg8ib9GOnFF1G-Ogm13B_eJRjwtMWk84P8rVsB1o5AD5XjMo3qe73b34p7rWA2nxHdrlVhGqKm6N99ximmnqZEAVdTOa-EUDM4gCHgVqCTCWRs2RS58rQGb0jDVX6lrJf-hNrNR4JsFnxSqlZj68Scd6iL3SMeyikuay7zB2_HfoFGYu3PW1xrw1F5xWWV3Gh8UnxFiaTsjA7AiT0j7MFNBbwgL1RpR21Wnpv1y6uS6lElPb-DljNUe5wEwwRGOd1gIuPSozUsHPrqMNZMp57cKWUUByYonSMjQoUqUXp6Tm-G96q3H3YYFBIcdWynRzbimrhk6MEJsSnXtDwi1oJ8xsSAfAMaq513Xomabs3_XxZ9LGdwgcrxAAuBNZRBA4WbfOA7BpwU-bep44QszPW5gpIk2sJjSVogdWjcNmrOJfZ2HxS2wTd810ZN0a9SdIxxOBTm9fD2U-90QlAc2-g7M2U2ZVwGQUsY007_XUapdLocd0xVWZX9JMWxgc5Ic3cR0ctJfIfF3NAo6fMZ6a56RZMC_I6OpEvCkN9PfYPddq0nP_R3I-weo_lk94mXZnfwB9s9CNnTwiyggE=w1024-h619-no

aT1HToLP-4WtvBtDKpWQzLlpPlNpE7-MfxO1A6YM2L4LxbgVrJMHMv2VjsSnClC56EDwiFlW7eaMHghhZDUGp35kbvYy6UeMlwCSAolacIoR61uh_hF8Eg6jlgpHXxGTEkhejg0DzWjIlh6MeoSsIQjRLwnmqGvy4FwXERbcK1Emdr0tmOZyXMNqfnL6KYQTxuV7eFdPWwWGa3z6UNUIxQEoiBgwhuEnlHRM_HFyrdxLQdkZSWKe_bqET8tPPPR-Y4pHCZiXpQEvR-MMalbr5JjbUDAwTMkdiCOamXApZwSendajvfwr53X-tZ2DUY1-DVNp3WmuvYDjbQpj2V42LY5hGeoWgDnEoYS_LXZz6g5boPr7yx_-6Nx7d6Tjvq0dzpjwRo-3r8xk0-Tyqv2d8CfQu_jeK0pevCe46UhnqYBQ7jLKcoOZg2vXDHPYPpJM6dNy9zfVTO-xPTKZt1YKy9XJV5-gP4JfhwqAWaVDqztXPeS_VpMAibA8950vV1qc-jUw47Jc_z3yvHJCYCgfaiXrvmrXVald3SN5YskX_mfmj8z5xdNJO4ljUsFmNNifBp2UAKpfDq1pUGmOr4ggstOXuPHADxeTft5Jyl0xlkTTgX7G=w1024-h573-no

Great shots. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you put it through the EDC rotation a few times.

Nice pics. 9mm LCR is not lost on my either. Cool! I always end up bending moonclips though.

Back